Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #76
Kul Mom
aka sKul Marm

Oddometer: 367
Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Now it looks like I've got a whole day to kill in Prince Rupert so going to do the tire change there if it's possible
Nancy-
My advise is to eat at the Crest and visit the museum next door. The museum is the Museum of Northern British Columbia (I think).
-KM

Kul Mom screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 06:43 PM Reason: spelling
Kul Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #77
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,895
I'd wait to do the tire change until you're off the boat and stopped in Haines, if not later. When's the next time you're going to be in Prince Rupert BC? Take the time to enjoy the day instead of wrenching. Or just run a set of Heidenau K60's and not worry about tires for the whole trip. One of the best parts of my ride to Alaska last spring was the time spent relaxing on the ferry, especially after three weeks in the saddle.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #78
plumbstraight
plumbstraight

Oddometer: 53
One more thing, well maybe a few. I don't know if you pack a firearm, but you cannot go into canada with a pistol. Take as many rifles as you want, just no pistols.
I had to check with the route. Have been to Haines junction from the north coming in on the Alcan. You might think of going to denali from Tok. You will on the highway to Anchorage when you see the great one. Then it is about a 4hr trip down to Anchorage. When you leave Anchorage and start your trip down to Homer, take the time to stop by turnagain arm. It is an hour long trip beside it and you might see sheep on the left side on the mountains, sometimes they are right down on the roadside. When the tide changes there at turnagain arm the incoming tide creates a bore tide where there is a single wave that sometimes surfers try to ride. The tides in Alaska rise and fall 30ft in 6hours so as neat as the beach looks DO NOT GO OUT ON THE SAND. It can be soft and folks get stuck out there and drown every year. some have been pulled apart by helicopter rescue. This is a real thing, just do not go out there.
Turnagain arm has some really neat views. Just after leaving Anchorage a ways there is a place called baluga point. I have seen many many baluga whales there when the salmon are running. When you near the end of the arm there is an animal farm. Bears that I have fed peanut butter to and elk that I have fed apples. Just be sure to toss the peanut butter to the grizz, he might like what holds the butter. You can feed the big bulls by hand. They have all the critters there. Also there is a small museum at the head of the arm. You can see stuffed animals and live iceworms there. They are about an inch long and actually live on glaciers. They survive on pollen, amazing. Be careful as you go down the peninsula, will be hundreds of tourists fishing the rivers and will walk right out from behind parked cars. I stopped by and a couple of kids were fishing and releasing. I asked one if he would catch one for me, he did and I had it for supper. I know a pretty gal would have no problem with that lol.Nothing like a fresh salmon cooked on an alder fire.
will keep tabs on this trip, might join you. I do have a couple of other runs this year, one to Ft Hood Texas to a military reunion and one to SC. Bringing a new one into the family and visiting the ones already here.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #79
RichAK
nOOd

Oddometer: 19
Turnagain Arm and the Kenai Peninsula

The ride along Turnagain can be quite nice. It's my daily ride so I am a little biased. Consider taking the Hope Cutoff 22 miles into Hope. It follows the south side of Turnagain to Hope, an old mining town dating back to the 1890's. You can also go a few miles up into the northern Kenai Mtns on Palmer Creek Road out of Hope.

The area around Kenai Lake is very scenic. The drive into Seward is great. Heading the other way on the Sterling Hwy to Soldotna, you may want to check out the Skilak Loop that follows along Skilak Lake. It only adds a few miles and gives you a decent chance to spot some wildlife. I've seen moose, bears, and lynx through there.

In Kenai, there is an old Russian Orthodox Church that is worth checking out if that's interesting to you. You can also access the beach on Cook Inlet from that area, although its been some time since I have done that and things may have changed since then.

Someone did drown in the mudflats, a couple of decades ago.
RichAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #80
KUDABESI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Ride to Alaska

I'll ride there from Vancouver this May, will update information as soon as I on the trip...
KUDABESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #81
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Last year it was so loose I thought I had a flat front and another rider pulled over to see if he had one!

Mellow Moto Marko
So was this on a Duc? Machine can make a lot of difference in 'feel' just as a tire can. My FJR always feels like it has a flat when on gravel but the KLR loves it. YMMV. BTW. only time I have been on the TOW, it was dry as bone but some GS riders told us it was very muddy two days earlier. Its all luck.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #82
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
Now it looks like I've got a whole day to kill in Prince Rupert so going to do the tire change there if it's possible
I wouldn't do it, Wait till you get to Whitehorse or Haines, The chipseal on the Cassiar will tear up those TKC's faster than you think, Its perfectly fine to run your street tires up the Cassair.
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #83
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Laugh

I'll be heading down to California June 1oth, we may crossed path!

Yaaa . Hurry up summer

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #84
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
I wouldn't do it, Wait till you get to Whitehorse or Haines, The chipseal on the Cassiar will tear up those TKC's faster than you think, Its perfectly fine to run your street tires up the Cassair.
I don't think she is taking the Cassiar but rather the Ferry to Haines from Port Hardy with a day's layover in Prince Rupert. Could be wrong, we haven't discussed the 'up link' of the trip yet but we are taking the ferry 'down link' from Haines to Prince Rupert on the way back from D2D. Last time I was on the Cassiar, the issue was mud, not chipseal!
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #85
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul Mom View Post
Nancy-
My advise is to eat at the Crest and visit the museum next door. The museum is the Museum of Northern British Columbia (I think).
-KM
Sounds great. I LOVE food! (I'm called The Hobbit in some circles and it's not for the hairy feet).
Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #86
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I'd wait to do the tire change until you're off the boat and stopped in Haines, if not later. When's the next time you're going to be in Prince Rupert BC? Take the time to enjoy the day instead of wrenching. Or just run a set of Heidenau K60's and not worry about tires for the whole trip. One of the best parts of my ride to Alaska last spring was the time spent relaxing on the ferry, especially after three weeks in the saddle.
I'll be in Prince Rupert the 11th and 28th June
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #87
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

The route plan as it stands now....I'm entirely frustrated with dead time between ferries so if anyone has advice, please give it in the total route plan with dates. (alternative routes)

June 5 - Oakland - Crater Lake OR
June 6 - Crater Lake - Seattle
June 7 - Ferry to Victoria Island stay overnight with yatman
June 8 - Victoria to Port Hardy
June 9 - Ferry from Pt Hardy - Prince Rupert
June 10 - lollygag in Prince Rupert (ferry only the 11)
June 11 - Ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines
June 12 - Arrive Haines late 11:30pm
June 13 - Haines to Tok
June 14 - Tok to Anchorage (AKDuc offered a couch!)
June 15 - Anchorage to Seward
June 16 - Seward to Homer
June 17 - Homer Cruise, back to Anchorage (back to AKDuc)
June 18 - Anchorage - Tok
June 19 - Tok to Dawson
June 20 - Dawson (sharing a hotel with McRuss)
June 21- Dawson (recovering from too much scotch)
June 22 - Dawson to Tok
June 23 - Denali hwy to Mt McKinley
June 24 - Bus through Denali to MtMcKinley
June 25 - Anchorage or skip Anchorage and go solo to meet up with McRuss in Tok
June 26 - Tok to Haines
June 27 - ferry from Haines
June 28 - arrive in Prince Rupert
June 29 - Prince Rupert - Vancouver (hey I've got an airhawk)
June 30 - Vancouver - Portland
July 1 - Portland - Oakland

Whew!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #88
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
So was this on a Duc? Machine can make a lot of difference in 'feel' just as a tire can. My FJR always feels like it has a flat when on gravel but the KLR loves it. YMMV. BTW. only time I have been on the TOW, it was dry as bone but some GS riders told us it was very muddy two days earlier. Its all luck.
Uh, no. This'll be my 7th D2D on my KLR with a different tire combo each time ranging from TKC's to Annakees. My preference these days is a bit more street oriented tire on the rear and knobbier up front. I also let some air out at each end of the TOW. Fun!

Nancy, the Major Marine boat tour I recommend is in Seward. You could go out and do some fishing on a charter boat in Homer tho if you wanted.

Have fun, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 11:01 PM
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #89
CaptUglyDan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
I don't think she is taking the Cassiar but rather the Ferry to Haines from Port Hardy with a day's layover in Prince Rupert. Could be wrong, we haven't discussed the 'up link' of the trip yet but we are taking the ferry 'down link' from Haines to Prince Rupert on the way back from D2D. Last time I was on the Cassiar, the issue was mud, not chipseal!
Sorry, I was under the impression she was riding to AK, That said, I've ridden the Cassiar 12 times now, and mud isn't nor has been an issue, at least for me, I was just pointing out that it would be a waste of TKC's to mount them in PR to ride the Cassiar.
Thanks for correcting me on Yellowknife vs Yellowhead, Maybe I was dreaming of riding to Yellowknife, or was it Yellowbeard?
Enjoy the ride, Have fun at D2D, BTDT, never again
YMMV
CaptUglyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #90
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post

Nancy, the Major Marine boat tour I recommend is in Seward. You could go out and do some fishing on a charter boat in Homer tho if you wanted.

Have fun, Mark H.
This website says it takes off from Whittier
http://www.majormarine.com/pws/princ...se/#tour_10004