Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #91
SpecialAgentNancy OP
In search of PORK

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUglyDan View Post
Sorry, I was under the impression she was riding to AK, That said, I've ridden the Cassiar 12 times now, and mud isn't nor has been an issue, at least for me, I was just pointing out that it would be a waste of TKC's to mount them in PR to ride the Cassiar.
Thanks for correcting me on Yellowknife vs Yellowhead, Maybe I was dreaming of riding to Yellowknife, or was it Yellowbeard?
Enjoy the ride, Have fun at D2D, BTDT, never again
YMMV
Sounds like I should change to TKC's once in Anchorage.
Boy am I glad I've got help here figuring this all out.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #92
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,467
That sounds like the plan. Alaska Leather can see to all your tire needs including having the tires waiting for you. I plan on getting about 2500 useful miles on the rear tire of my GSPD. I also subscribe to Mark's idea of running a more durable tire on the rear and a TKC on the front. Much better over all durability and excellent traction too. If you can keep the front tire planted you are winning the battle.

KHuddy screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 03:35 PM
KHuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #93
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 116
Its always $hittier in Whittier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
This website says it takes off from Whittier
http://www.majormarine.com/pws/princ...se/#tour_10004
That place is to be avoided at all costs, particularly on your vacation clock. Go to Seward and do a Kenai Fjords tour (I think that's probably what the OP meant). To get to Whittier, you have to wait for access through a two mile long tunnel. Despite the interest that might pique, the only thing (literally) on the other side of the tunnel is rain, clouds and a boat harbor for the Anchorage-ites who are too impatient to drive to Seward to sail their boats. Seriously, Seward/Homer/Kenai/Cooper Landing have much more to offer than Whittier.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #94
SpecialAgentNancy OP
In search of PORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmholio View Post
That place is to be avoided at all costs, particularly on your vacation clock. Go to Seward and do a Kenai Fjords tour (I think that's probably what the OP meant). To get to Whittier, you have to wait for access through a two mile long tunnel. Despite the interest that might pique, the only thing (literally) on the other side of the tunnel is rain, clouds and a boat harbor for the Anchorage-ites who are too impatient to drive to Seward to sail their boats. Seriously, Seward/Homer/Kenai/Cooper Landing have much more to offer than Whittier.
Yeah you know I've done the train tunnels near Truckee....when AKDuc described the Whittier train tunnels I thought, no thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #95
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,402
Oops, meant the tours out of Seward: http://www.majormarine.com/kf/kenai-...se/#tour_10000
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #96
SpecialAgentNancy OP
In search of PORK

AK Leather

I've contacted AK Leather in Anchorage and am waiting for a response.

I've got 2 options (in my mind).
Ship my set of almost new TKC's there and have them swap my battlewings for those
or
Pack them on the bike.

I've toured over 20 countries with soft bags and unlocked items like my sleeping bag, cot and tent. Even a gas can with gas and never had anything stolen off the bike.

I've got some home stays arranged on the ride up but the bike will be parked without supervision overnight somewhere along the way and more than once.
I'm torn. I could use a cable bike lock to secure them to the bike. They would sit on top of my top box on the Tiger. It would make the whole bike pretty top heavy I would imagine but I don't expect to ride dirt. Then it also makes the hassle of removing them each time I need access to my camping gear or top case.

Ideas? I asssume shipping would be expensive but might be worth the hassle it would save and possible theft.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #97
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 103
I sent tires USPS to Fairbanks from Va Beach. Snail mail took two weeks to get there and thirty bucks. If you plan ahead and have the time, it's cheap. To somewhere in Canada, a different story. Hth
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #98
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,319
Don't have your long trip experience, however the less stuff you carry the better. I'm pretty sure Barb has a set which they can keep stored until your arrival. Shipping to AK can be pricey. If you are a member of Amazon's Prime you may get them shipped up for free (expedited)
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #99
SpecialAgentNancy OP
In search of PORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Don't have your long trip experience, however the less stuff you carry the better. I'm pretty sure Barb has a set which they can keep stored until your arrival. Shipping to AK can be pricey. If you are a member of Amazon's Prime you may get them shipped up for free (expedited)
Amazon Prime. I'll look into it. thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #100
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Amazon Prime. I'll look into it. thanks
I've never orderd tires through Amazon but FlyRescue has and being a Prime member he got there very fast.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #101
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,134
Quote:

Ideas?

Call Barb and tell her when you are going to be in the area so that she can order what you want and have them on hand when you arrive. Even if you have to pre-pay for the tires it saves a lot of hassle and the slight extra expense is not that much especially when you amortize it over 5 or 6 thousand miles of use. Besides it is a nice gesture to leave some cash at local businesses so that they might be around to help out if other real problems arise. My $.02 worth.

Enjoy your trip!

ps: Are you going to the Mayday Melee?

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #102
NorthernBoxer
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 516
Quote:

I've got 2 options (in my mind).
Ship my set of almost new TKC's
or
Pack them on the bike.

Ideas?
Don't ship. Don't pack. Buy a new set from AK Leather. Have 'em installed when you get here. Then use your other almost new TKC's at a later date.
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #103
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernBoxer View Post
Don't ship. Don't pack. Buy a new set from AK Leather.
+10
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #104
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I asked Barb about some Shinkos and she replied that she likes TKCs and doesn't stock Shinkos. I didn't expect her to stock them but I guess she either can't or doesn't want to order them. The Suzy dealer will order and mount whatever I want so I might just go that route. Or ship some to Barb or the Suzy shop.

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #105
SpecialAgentNancy OP
In search of PORK

McRuss

Really good talking with you over skype the other day. I'm looking forward to the trek back together. You prioritize food, a warm fire at the campsite, enjoying the ride and taking photos.....all important things on my list too!