User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
f700gs services intervals and charges

just curious about the intervals for service and how much people are paying for them, valves oil changes etc.
I have a r1200gs and do my own oil, hopefully the f700 is as easy to do but that's all I do. thanks in advance for response
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
wortho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Just paid AU$270 for the 1000km service on my F700GS, AU dollar is about same as US but we usually pay more for everything so you most likely get it done for less in the US. A lot of money anyways for what is essentially an oil/filter change and checks. Next service is 10,000km or 12 months.
Cheers
Mark
wortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 504
In my opinion, other than the initial oil/filter change at 500 to 1000 miles, the biggest benefit of paying the dealer for the schedule checks is maintaining the warrantee.

Looking back at the last 3 years, 30k+ miles ..oil changes were the only thing that was needed. The air filter was replace at 12k miles and 32k miles. I use full syn oil so it can go further with less degradation My changes were at 1k, 9k, 20k and 32k miles( the last 12k interval included a 10k trip over 6 weeks so the calendar time was short.) ps the engine has NO measurable oil consumption. My normal full syn interval is 10k mile or 1 year.

At 32k mile the dealer did check the valves for the first time...not sure that he had to adjust them evan then...as there were no charges for shims...just a new gasket. He did put in new spark plugs...not sure that was trurely needed.
also new front brake pads which were well worn..rears are still ok but I use the rear lightly.
I had to put on a new chain at about 30k miles as one link o-ring failed so it stretch badly at that one spot. I changed the front sprocket because it was cheap and easy...but did not really have to.

The scheduled every 12k valve checks are expensive, and from my experience not needed. I did not do them because to my dealer's credit he listen to them as said they sounded fine and did not open them up till 32K miles.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
It is basically oil and filter every 6,000 miles with valve checks every 12,000. Brake fluid is based on time. Mine was changed at year 1 and I think it is every 2 years after that.

I take mine to the dealer at the 12,000 intervals for them to check the valves. Mine have not moved and not many reports of them doing so.

It is easy to maintain, even the valve checks.

The most I have paid has been $430 at a shop rate of $90 an hour.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,215
I payed 100 for the 10k service and 150 for the 20k service.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote