User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #421
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&c...MEc&nomobile=1

Been looking at the video Fuzzy 74 posted and noticed a few things. The rider pegs that everyone is referring to as forwards really aren't that forward. The riders all have a nice almost 90 degree bend at their knees. The bar positioning looks like an upright natural good elbow bend one. The riders aren't riding at supersport speeds, but the lean angles look significant enough to enjoy the twisties.

Over all, the actual seating position reminds me of a Harley with floor boards. Softail Heritage and Touring models come to mind. As I've owned both, I can attest that that riding position is comfortable and takes the weight off the butt, unlike actual forwards like on a Wide Glide. The bar position should allow for good leverage for handling turns, too.

Check out the video and my observations may become clearer. tomp dd50
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #422
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
So you actually admit it. You're mad because Honda makes a bike that YOU personally don't like, so you come on here and rant and rave about how awful it is.
While I've made some comments, I would not classify any of them as ranting or raving. As I've stated, I'm disappointed in Honda, am not interested in their new CTX line, and wish that instead something I enjoy more would have been offered.

Just because I don't believe with your line of thought, I should take my ideas to another thread, or so you seem to be stating.

But wait -- what's the title of this thread? Is it for CTX owners only? Is it for CTX prospective owners only?

Get off your high horse.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #423
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I understand what you're saying.
What look would catch your eye?
Here are some concepts I would love to see from Honda:

An updated XR650R / XL650R bike with EFI, electric start, subframe that has real capacity, a decent fuel capacity, etc. Make a competitor for the Husqvarna Terra / Strada line.

A cafe style bike like this concept that was abandoned:

Those are two, off the top of my head.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #424
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

An updated XR650R / XL650R bike with EFI, electric start, subframe that has real capacity, a decent fuel capacity, etc. Make a competitor for the Husqvarna Terra / Strada line.

I expect if the CB 1100 is going to sell well we'll see the 1100 engine in a bike looking like that concept thing.

I'd love a dual sport 650ies thing as well, altough I would expect Honda to build more something to compete with the tiger 800 / 800GS bikes.
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #425
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post
I expect if the CB 1100 is going to sell well we'll see the 1100 engine in a bike looking like that concept thing.

I'd love a dual sport 650ies thing as well, altough I would expect Honda to build more something to compete with the tiger 800 / 800GS bikes.
That would be fine too. I love those styles of bikes, and would like to see more competition and innovation.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #426
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
The DS 650 market is owned by the KLR65R0, and it's generally available at good prices, everywhere sold. Honda would have to have a competitive price and their XR/XL's were already higher than the KLR's an DR's. It may be tough to improve them without raising the prices even more. The new Husky 650 Terra impressed me on paper, but with the sale to the KTM guy, that BMW engine to Husky frame combo is likely to be gone soon. That's a shame, too.

The cafe concept is beautiful. I started to buy a Thruxton once, and even with the newer bar set up, was too cramped feeling for me. That Honda would probably be the same. I'd almost consider buying one though, just to place it in my living room and look at it instead of the TV. No, I'm not married, so I could actually do that if I really desired.

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 01:34 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #427
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
The DS 650 market is owned by the KLR650, and are available generally at good prices, everywhere sold. The new Husky 650 impressed me on paper, but with the sale to the KTM guy, that engine frame combo is likely to be gone soon.

The cafe concept is beautiful. I started to buy a Thruxton once, and even with the newer bar set up, was too cramped feeling for me. That Honda would probably be the same. I'd almost consider buying one though, just to place it in my living room and look at it instead of the TV. No, I'm not married, so I could actually do that if I really desired.
I think the KLR 650 is mainly sold in the USA. I pretty much never see them in Europe (don't have stats though....just gutt feelling). The whole real adv markt doesn't seem to be that big here apart from the 1200GS's and stuff (which are REALLY big here).

I guess we just have a little bit less space in Europe.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #428
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
The fairly new Honda PCX150 scooter manual says it needs valve checks every 2000 miles. According to the PCX forum, it's a 3 hour job, mostly removing and reinstalling bodywork. I went with a Yamaha Zuma 125, which takes about 10 minutes to check the valves on, and 20 minutes to adjust them. But if it is like my '08 Vino 125, they will never need adjusting.

There is just no way I can ride a bike where you have to support your weight with your arms. Even on what everybody seems to be calling a standard (now, not what a standard used to be) I'm limited to about 50 miles before the pain starts getting bad. The 1969 CB750 was a standard. No way is a Ninja 650 a standard. It's not a supersport, but it's far from being a standard. The CTX700 is a little more relaxed than even the old standard, which should be perfect for me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #429
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
They won't do this because they already make bikes in that role, more or less.

the NC/CTX motor is all about enough power for the street and highway and good MPG.

If/when they decide to kill the NT700, maybe there will be a more sport-touring oriented NC700. It has been around since 2006 (or 98 as the NT650) or so, according to wikipedia, so maybe that's the plan.
Just wanted to throw in that the CTX series is supposed to eventually come in multiple displacements. I have not heard if any will be larger.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #430
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

They have a retro bike out there as well. All rush out and buy one and I am sure there will be more.

These 700 serious things are trying to get new people in so the old style stuff is not really relevant.

But if the 700 series does well you may see a Cafe700S out there that everyone can moan about..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #431
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The fairly new Honda PCX150 scooter manual says it needs valve checks every 2000 miles. According to the PCX forum, it's a 3 hour job, mostly removing and reinstalling bodywork. I went with a Yamaha Zuma 125, which takes about 10 minutes to check the valves on, and 20 minutes to adjust them. But if it is like my '08 Vino 125, they will never need adjusting.

There is just no way I can ride a bike where you have to support your weight with your arms. Even on what everybody seems to be calling a standard (now, not what a standard used to be) I'm limited to about 50 miles before the pain starts getting bad. The 1969 CB750 was a standard. No way is a Ninja 650 a standard. It's not a supersport, but it's far from being a standard. The CTX700 is a little more relaxed than even the old standard, which should be perfect for me.
Just out of curiousity, since I really cannot figure it out.

What does valve checks of the PCX and yamaha Zuma have to do with this thread ?

Anyway: Buy what floats your boat. Everyone has different comfort levels. I recently sad on the CB1100 and fell completly in love with it.

Will take a few years to save up for it though Please buy lots of 'em and sell it to me in a year or 2 / 3
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #432
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz View Post

I would not hold your breath.

since Honda and others are totally moving towards the platform sharing concept (same underpinnings, different bikes.) i'd more expect a cafe version of the CB to be released with updated suspension and a fairing. it's the way they can survive & thrive these days.

if they do not, look to the aftermarket to possibly producing something.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #433
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,678
I don't mean to piss in anyone's wheaties, but that cafe racer CB1100 is hideous to my eyes. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.

I would like to have seen Honda bring the Transalp to the US. I guess that will never happen, though...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #434
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I don't mean to piss in anyone's wheaties, but that cafe racer CB1100 is hideous to my eyes. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.

I would like to have seen Honda bring the Transalp to the US. I guess that will never happen, though...

At least we're consistant! I drool muchly over the CB1100R, and would have moved heaven and earth for one had they been available. The Transalp- meh. (Great sacriledge here, I know, lol)
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #435
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&c...MEc&nomobile=1

Been looking at the video Fuzzy 74 posted and noticed a few things. The rider pegs that everyone is referring to as forwards really aren't that forward. The riders all have a nice almost 90 degree bend at their knees. The bar positioning looks like an upright natural good elbow bend one. The riders aren't riding at supersport speeds, but the lean angles look significant enough to enjoy the twisties.

Over all, the actual seating position reminds me of a Harley with floor boards. Softail Heritage and Touring models come to mind. As I've owned both, I can attest that that riding position is comfortable and takes the weight off the butt, unlike actual forwards like on a Wide Glide. The bar position should allow for good leverage for handling turns, too.

Check out the video and my observations may become clearer. tomp dd50
I just watched the video. The riding position looks PERFECT for me. Slightly forward pegs, not as much as my current cruiser. I can't wait for this thing to hit the dealers. I know where my tax refund is going.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote