Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #436
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I don't mean to piss in anyone's wheaties, but that cafe racer CB1100 is hideous to my eyes. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.

I would like to have seen Honda bring the Transalp to the US. I guess that will never happen, though...

They gave us the Transalp in the late 80's and no one bought one, so I imagine they have little incentive to do it again. Stupid me, I had a choice of an '88 Transalp or the VLX600, in '90, at dirt cheap prices, and I got the cruiser. Worst choice decision I've made, except marrying my now ex wife...
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #437
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
I don't mean to piss in anyone's wheaties, but that cafe racer CB1100 is hideous to my eyes.
Not important to the discussion, but the CB1100 is almost the prototypical definition of a UJM standard, and I haven't heard of anyone calling it a cafe racer. If the CB1100 is a cafe racer, then so is a Sportster.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #438
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
I don't mean to piss in anyone's wheaties, but that cafe racer CB1100 is hideous to my eyes. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I guess.

I would like to have seen Honda bring the Transalp to the US. I guess that will never happen, though...

Production is ceasing on the TA. The 500 and 700 series are replacing it.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #439
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Not important to the discussion, but the CB1100 is almost the prototypical definition of a UJM standard, and I haven't heard of anyone calling it a cafe racer. If the CB1100 is a cafe racer, then so is a Sportster.

- Mark

Here's a custom cafe made from parts available in Japan for the CB1100. Nice looking bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820439 Link to the CB1100 for this site. 92 pages of good stuff already. tp dd50
Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #440
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit45 View Post
Your CTX700 is a 2014 model due out in the spring of 2013. Besides that, it's a repeat of an already defunct model called the DN-01.

The specs page is not even complete, but I can make a few assumptions about it knowing their other model, the NC700X. By the way, Honda seems intent on ramming this 670 parallel twin down our throats The DN-01, the NCX700, the CTX700 - all re-hashed versions of the same thing. Same trellis frame, same engine, same transmission offerings.

I think Honda has a lot of parts they are trying like hell to get rid of here! These bikes back in the 70's were what we called 'PARTS BIN SPECIALS' - reference to Yamaha Radian if you can think back that far.

How many ways is Honda going to try and shove the 670cc engine down our throats till we finally just tell them to go take a supository and have a good shit?

Frankly, you should look at the Aprilia Mana if the CTX is your bag. it's an 850cc bike with the same fuel mileage ratings as the Honda's.

What does interest me from Honda? The CB1100 that'll be in the showrooms in a month. PREDICTION - THAT bike is going to sell before it hits the floor!!! Frankly though I was hoping that they'd also offer this naked nostalgia ride in an 850 version. WAIT A MINUTE!! ! That's how they can get rid of the overstock of 670'cc engines!!!! And the can call it a CB700!!! GOD I'M GOOD!!! (2015??!!)

Yer loopy.

-The DN-01 had a shaft driven 680cc V-Twin,
-it's frame, engine, CVT transmission, wheels, bodywork, brakes etc.,- absolutely nothing has the slightest in common with the brand new NC series.

"Intent on ramming the 670 engine down our throats". "Left over parts they are trying to get rid of." "overstock 670 engines"

-Uh, it's brand new clean sheet design concept as of 2012. They are just beginning to make these brand new "left over" parts, Sherlock.

-A Mana GT 850 gets the same fuel mileage as an NC700 engine?

Huh.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #441
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

- Mark
I think he was referencing the picture of the CB1100R concept cafe racer shown a few posts up, not the new production F.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #442
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I think he was referencing the picture of the CB1100R concept cafe racer shown a few posts up, not the new production F.

This one? Looks kinda like the early superbike enduro racers. A beautiful machine, for sure...
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #443
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:

Not going to happen, ever, since Honda has cancelled the production of the transalp worldwide. They were not selling enough of them in Europe to justify the cost of production-nobody bought them.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #444
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
Not going to happen, ever, since Honda has cancelled the production of the transalp worldwide. They were not selling enough of them in Europe to justify the cost of production-nobody bought them.
Although it's a perfectly good bike, updates were virtually non-existent, while the other manufacturers moved the game forward.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #445
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Probably right, my misunderstanding. BTW the new CB1100 is not a F.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #446
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Yer loopy.

-The DN-01 had a shaft driven 680cc V-Twin,
-it's frame, engine, CVT transmission, wheels, bodywork, brakes etc.,- absolutely nothing has the slightest in common with the brand new NC series.

"Intent on ramming the 670 engine down our throats". "Left over parts they are trying to get rid of." "overstock 670 engines"

-Uh, it's brand new clean sheet design concept as of 2012. They are just beginning to make these brand new "left over" parts, Sherlock.

-A Mana GT 850 gets the same fuel mileage as an NC700 engine?

Huh.
And the guy apparently never read any of the Mana reviews. One of the negatives was poor fuel economy for a mildly tuned 850 cc engine. The Mana is an intriguing design and certainly a forerunner of the NC700X but unlike Aprilia, Honda got it mostly right and has the hugely comforting to someone considering entering buying a first motorcycle Honda Reputation For Reliability And Value. Outside of the these forums the great unwashed has never heard of Piaggio or Aprilia but they have heard of Fiat and Ferrari, neither of which connect Italian with reliability or value.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #447
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
And the guy apparently never read any of the Mana reviews. One of the negatives was poor fuel economy for a mildly tuned 850 cc engine. The Mana is an intriguing design and certainly a forerunner of the NC700X but unlike Aprilia, Honda got it mostly right and has the hugely comforting to someone considering entering buying a first motorcycle Honda Reputation For Reliability And Value. Outside of the these forums the great unwashed has never heard of Piaggio or Aprilia but they have heard of Fiat and Ferrari, neither of which connect Italian with reliability or value.

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Review states 41.6 mpg for the Mana

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/29/253...50-Review.aspx
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #448
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

interesting comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei9qDA9RIeE

Since there are no actual reviews of the CTX line yet, I found this video of the NC700X, a bike very similar to the CTX, in engine, wheel base, head angle, weight, etc, compared to the Kawasaki Versys, a similarly designed, established motorcycle. Worth the few minutes it takes to view. Interesting findings shown here. tomp dd50
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #449
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&c...MEc&nomobile=1

Been looking at the video Fuzzy 74 posted and noticed a few things. The rider pegs that everyone is referring to as forwards really aren't that forward. The riders all have a nice almost 90 degree bend at their knees.

Check out the video and my observations may become clearer. tomp dd50
If "by almost 90 degree bend", you mean 115 to 120 degrees, then I agree with you. That's Honda Fury territory, a bike I enjoyed on a long test ride one nice day, but it's still a cruiser riding position, as opposed to a standard, which tends to be 90 degrees, give or take a few. Those pegs may not be as far forward as some Harleys, but they're out there a fair bit. I'm not passing judgment in any form, merely wanting to clarify.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #450
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
Since there are no actual reviews of the CTX line yet, I found this video of the NC700X, a bike very similar to the CTX, in engine, wheel base, head angle, weight, etc, compared to the Kawasaki Versys, a similarly designed, established motorcycle. Worth the few minutes it takes to view. Interesting findings shown here. tomp dd50
No. The NC700X is not at all similar to the CTX. Apart from utilizing the same engine basically, maybe sharing some parts and datasheet numbers, these are totally different bikes. I cannot see anything relevant that would make them appear similar.

Looking at the datasheets, the CTX thing now became more clear to me. These new bikes are very cheap, considerably cheaper than the NC. They appear to be targeted to the US market, and I guess this makes sense. Once more I may say, as an NC700X rider I really like this concept (with only one downside: the massive weight), I would always prefer it over a Versys, and I am far from calling it a beginners bike, but on the other hand, I would not consider getting the CTX; well knowing the engine is fun to ride, but the bike is out of my personal scope. Nothing wrong with this, in general.

According to http://www.hondanews.com/channels/po...9&page_size=20
(see concept bike images) Honda perfectly knows how to create a real cool NC700X.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote