Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #601
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 757
Anyone know if this is the same engine that the Honda Acura 700 scooter uses overseas?
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #602
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezildennis View Post
Anyone know if this is the same engine that the Honda Acura 700 scooter uses overseas?

if you mean the Integra, yes it is. Nothing to do with Acura though.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #603
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 757
Yes that is what I meant. I wonder if it is exactly the same cam and crank profile.
I have heard some of the Integra 700s with aftermarket exhausts and they are downright badass sounding..
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #604
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
I had bought their first NC700x (a DCT model). Sadly they still had a left over NC700x in the corner (manual shift).

Hmm, I'll be over that way in June. Might have to check that out. Maybe the faired CTX will be around.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #605
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
I had bought their first NC700x (a DCT model). Sadly they still had a left over NC700x in the corner (manual shift).[/QUOTE]

If it had ABS, it would be gone. Here in NY, one dealer had a 2010 Wee left over for 2 years but was getting $500 over msrp for the ABS when he could get one.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #606
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
If it had ABS, it would be gone. Here in NY, one dealer had a 2010 Wee left over for 2 years but was getting $500 over msrp for the ABS when he could get one.
Yeah, we still have dealers advertising new non-abs NT700V's on CL. The abs models are long, long gone.

Back on topic: I'm disappointed Honda hasn't gotten a few bikes to journalists yet. Surely, they have something coming out of the factory by now. All the videos out there are just rehashes of Honda marketing material with the exception of one or two walk-arounds at Daytona.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #607
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 621
yeah, they haven't done crap to build excitement beyond the announcement, daytona, and a few cheesy videos.

quasigentrified screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 09:21 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #608
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by techyiam View Post
Look at where the foot pegs are? DN-01-ized NC700S?

CTX700 & CTX700N

What a couple of turds....
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #609
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That picture clearly shows the "proper" riding position of the CTX. You sit upright, not bent over, and the bars come back to meet your arms. Your weight is on the seat, not the bars (and your arms) You do not have to bend your neck to see where you are going. Your feet are out front, your legs are not all scrunched up underneath you, which causes serious leg cramps for me. There are no pressure points on this bike. I hope someone sells a riders backrest for it. I think Protac is pretty much out of business. I would strap something to the back part of the seat to lean against before buying a $500 seat with a built in backrest. With back support, it would be just like riding an easy chair down the road. A perfect solo touring bike.

Feet forward with all your weight on your lower back certainly NOT the most comfortable or optimal position for control.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #610
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
In the riding picture, there appears to be enough bend at the knees that the weight will be more evenly distributed on the butt and hams, than on the tail bone area. Looks much more like the floorboard position on a Harley big twin than forwards on something like a Wide Glide, etc.

The shorter the rider's inseam, the more uncomfortable the ride may be. It looks like a non threatening machine for many riders, new or experienced...
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #611
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
The absolute best riding position for me would be one where you sit straight upright, with a 90 degree bend in your knees, and be able to reach straight out for the grips, with some bend in your elbows. You should not be leaning forward, not putting any weight on your arms, and you should not have to bend your neck back. it looks like the CTX pegs are a little bit farther forward than that, but close enough.

I would definitely choose a non ABS bike over an ABS model even at the same price. So getting a better bike at a lower price is a whopper of a deal. I am really glad Honda is offering the CTX in a non ABS version, it's to bad they don't offer the DCT as a separate option, as I might consider it. But not a chance with ABS. I have heard there is a way to disable ABS on some bikes. I already know it can be done on cars, I did it to my '01 Chevy.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #612
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The absolute best riding position for me would be one where you sit straight upright, with a 90 degree bend in your knees, and be able to reach straight out for the grips, with some bend in your elbows. You should not be leaning forward, not putting any weight on your arms, and you should not have to bend your neck back. it looks like the CTX pegs are a little bit farther forward than that, but close enough.

I would definitely choose a non ABS bike over an ABS model even at the same price. So getting a better bike at a lower price is a whopper of a deal. I am really glad Honda is offering the CTX in a non ABS version, it's to bad they don't offer the DCT as a separate option, as I might consider it. But not a chance with ABS. I have heard there is a way to disable ABS on some bikes. I already know it can be done on cars, I did it to my '01 Chevy.
I wonder if we might ask what your current or past bikes are? Everyone is different but I have always found that when I sit on a bike straight up my lower back bothers me after a while. I've always been more comfortable on a bike where my arms help support my weight somewhat. At least on longer rides.
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #613
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
I wonder if we might ask what your current or past bikes are? Everyone is different but I have always found that when I sit on a bike straight up my lower back bothers me after a while. I've always been more comfortable on a bike where my arms help support my weight somewhat. At least on longer rides.

Mostly cruisers, touring bikes, and dual sport bikes. I currently ride an '02 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, and just sold a 1500 Goldwing (just to big) Both are extremely comfortable. I also have a Yamaha XT225, and raised the bars 2" to make it fit properly. The pegs are a little to far back, but not bad. Many XT225 owners remove the passenger pegs if they do not plan on carrying a passenger, but I kept mine, so I can switch back and forth on the road to relieve leg cramps.

I bought a brand new '09 EX500 Ninja at a killer closeout price. I thought I would be ok with it, but wasn't. I installed 1 1/2" risers, bars were still way to low. I had serious arm, shoulder, and neck pain, and leg cramps, from having my legs (34" inseam) scrunched up underneath me. I put less than 5000 miles on it in 3 years, and finally sold it.

I understand the low bar/rearset peg position for handling, but I just can't tolerate it for any length of time.

I recently put over 500 miles on the Vulcan, and only got off once. I filled the tank from the seat. I was slightly sore, but no real pain. The EX500 was killing me after 100 miles.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #614
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 621
man, no first rides yet? is honda really planning to have this available in june? or are they not previewing it since it'll probably get pooped on by the enthusiast press?
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #615
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Sensible

Oddometer: 383
I am anxious to get some "real world" reviews of this Bike ... particularly the naked Roadster version ... c'mon Honda ... Yamaha is walkin' all over you as far as new-model Buzz is concerned!!