User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Registering/Titling Old bikes in FL

I might have a look at a 1974 BMW for a cafe project. I have no idea what paperwork the owner has (I don't belive it's running) but I'm not certain what paperwork a 1974 bike would have in FL? I don't want to buy something I can't legally get on the road.

Did FL issue titles in 1974 (assuming it was originally a FL bike...I don't know)? Can I get by with an old registration? Bill of sale?

TIA.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
tenfiddy
Demotivational P C

Oddometer: 180
From what I understand anything with a tag had to have a title. There are title services out there who can do anything it seems.
"Unlimited foobar until epoch!"
tenfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
You can do a quick Florida VIN check. I haven't had the best results with older VIN numbers, but it might be helpful.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
I might have a look at a 1974 BMW for a cafe project. I have no idea what paperwork the owner has (I don't belive it's running) but I'm not certain what paperwork a 1974 bike would have in FL? I don't want to buy something I can't legally get on the road.

Did FL issue titles in 1974 (assuming it was originally a FL bike...I don't know)? Can I get by with an old registration? Bill of sale?

TIA.

Tipsy
Yes, they did. They do not look like titles of new, but it should have a valid FL title if was registered. Just having the registration won't really cut, I'm afraid (well, it will, but be prepared for a lot of paper work and headaches).

If the seller does not have the title in their possession, I'd be wary. At that point you would have to trace back to the last legal owner and get a power of attorney from that person allowing you to "purchase" the bike from them. Finding those people sometimes can be like a needle is a mudstack.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

All good info.

Thanks for the replies.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Serge
Parrothead

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post

TIA.

Tipsy
My '73 had a title from IA so no problem registering it.
I looked at an older Honda 750 one time without a title and backed out.
There are a few places in town that specialize in getting titles but just seemed too sketchy.
If you buy an old airhead there's a guy in town who can save you $'s with parts and service; PM if interested.

Serge
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
There's a state that allows you to register a motorcycle with just a bill of sale and a clear VIN but they do not require you to live in the sate. I forget which one, but a quick google search will show you. Also, if it were an older bike, it would be worth trying to figure out what state it was actually last registered in. Maine doesn't title bikes older than 95(?) and I know other states are similar, so you may luck out. If you can't find a person with a carfax account or have a buddy in Law Enforcement, you can keep calling the DMV until you find a friendly person willing to help out.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. Good info for me going forward.

Both 1974 BMW's were sold before I got back to FL. Oh well. The house itself is still way more project than I need, but I don't particularity enjoy working on the house. I'd rather have a side project I enjoy working on.

If anyone in FL comes across a R60 or R90, 1974-1979 that would make a good candidate for a Cafe project, please let me know.

Tipsy