Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #46
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Can't tour on a cruiser???

Cruiser mileage -

Victory Vegas - 48 states (8200 miles) in less than 10 days - 1500 miles in less than 24 hours.

Victory Kingpin - 49 states (8800 miles) in less than 10 days, including over 5000 miles in less than 5 days -
Full 16 day trip - 11,907 miles.

Victory Vision - Key West, FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK - 7 days, 10 hours.
Full 16 day trip - 11,197 miles.

Excellent ride reports. I might even try that ride to Prudhoe Bay myself. I'm almost 54, and am retiring at 55, due to medical conditions, and because I am financially able to. My last day of work will be at the end of March next year. I could ride up there and back during the summer. I would probably just go straight up from Phoenix. I sure would like to add Alaska to my list of visited states. I would be taking my time instead of racing the clock.

$200 for a room is crazy. I always thought $30 was to much. I have a long list of fleabag motels all over the U.S.,but nothing in AK, and my guess is those are what cost $200 there. But hey, you only live once.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #47
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
What part of Adventure RIDER don't you understand? This is not "Adventure Bike" It's more of an adventure to ride a cruiser to South America than to ride a GS to Starbucks.
It seems some folks forget that the layout of a classic cruiser dates back to an era when "adventure" riding was the rule and pavement was the exception.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #48
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 205
Jerry, You can find decent lodging on the way to Alaska and in Alaska for way less than $200 per day if you plan ahead a bit. When I rode up and back, the only place that was pricy was in northern BC, and that was because it was in the middle of nowhere, the only place around, and had to truck in EVERYTHING, including fuel for its generators.

I rented a dorm room at the universities in Fairbanks and Anchorage. The gent who manages student housing at the U in Fairbanks is a rider, and his facility is very welcoming. The dorm at the U in Anchorage was pretty nice as well. Just make reservations ahead of time. The only place to bunk between Fairbanks and Deadhorse is Coldfoot Camp in Coldfoot. Reserve your room ahead of time. Ditto for a room in Deadhorse.

MH
Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #49
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
It seems some folks forget that the layout of a classic cruiser dates back to an era when "adventure" riding was the rule and pavement was the exception.

My Harley bottoms out the frame going over the speed humps in the Home Depot parking lot......
but I did just ride it 411 miles today. The amount of adventure experienced can be measured by how sore my ass is: quite, indeed.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 AM   #50
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,131
I stated before that I've had three different cruisers before my current Tiger XC. The riding position does matter to me. A lot. I've got back and neck issues. Cruisers put almost all the weight on my tail bone. That gets painful.
I needed a backrest on the seats to add support. At least my knees didn't hurt.
The Tiger has a more 'standard' riding position. My knees do get a bit stiff after a few hours. The weight is off my tailbone, but not off my hips. Grrrrrr.
I can't seem to get comfortable with the stock seat.
I test rode a Trophy recently. In the 50 miles I rode it, the position seemed very good for me. The seat and it's support of my raggedy self, felt better than the Tiger. This might be a bike I'd want to replace my Tiger with.
I still like the idea of a big touring cruiser. I dunno, it's gonna be a while before I can get another bike.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 AM   #51
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
why don't ya'll cruiser folk prove everyone wrong and

POST SOME EPIC ADVENTURE PICTURES

instead of whining about your knees ?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #52
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post

This was, like, TOTALLY epic.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #53
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
This was, like, TOTALLY epic.

great job ! is that a cat rolly dry bag ? i can't find them on ebay anymore...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #54
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
great job ! is that a cat rolly dry bag ? i can't find them on ebay anymore...
Ortleib?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #55
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Ortleib?
Yup.

Followed Jock and Easy-Z up some rough switchbacks in E. Washington at night, but don't have any epic pics. Cause it was at night.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #56
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:

I have at least half a million miles on cruisers, and a couple of Goldwings, with the feet forward high bar riding position, but a good part of that was before internet forums. I do have quite a few pictures, but they are not digital, and will have to be scanned. I don't have a scanner at the moment. And I didn't write any ride reports, because I was not planning on posting them on a forum. Check out Rollin's ride reports. Almost unbelievable. And absolutely amazing. and absolute proof of what can be done on a cruiser.

Sadly, many cruiser owners spend most of their time cleaning and polishing their bikes. I'm not one of them. My cruiser has been ridden, long and hard. It is not shiny clean and spotless. But it sure has been fun.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #57
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
I stated before that I've had three different cruisers before my current Tiger XC. The riding position does matter to me. A lot. I've got back and neck issues. Cruisers put almost all the weight on my tail bone. That gets painful.
I needed a backrest on the seats to add support. At least my knees didn't hurt.
The Tiger has a more 'standard' riding position. My knees do get a bit stiff after a few hours. The weight is off my tailbone, but not off my hips. Grrrrrr.
I can't seem to get comfortable with the stock seat.
I test rode a Trophy recently. In the 50 miles I rode it, the position seemed very good for me. The seat and it's support of my raggedy self, felt better than the Tiger. This might be a bike I'd want to replace my Tiger with.
I still like the idea of a big touring cruiser. I dunno, it's gonna be a while before I can get another bike.
You seem to like Triumphs. The Triumph America, Speedmaster, and Thunderbird appear to be nice cruisers. I've never ridden any of them. But my main criteria for any bike is not to have to bend my knees past 90 degrees, and not to have to lean forward to reach the bars. I want (and need) my arms and legs relaxed. There is definitely a huge difference in comfort level on a cruiser or touring bike with a rider backrest. I have one on both my Goldwing and my Vulcan 750.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #58
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
You seem to like Triumphs. The Triumph America, Speedmaster, and Thunderbird appear to be nice cruisers. I've never ridden any of them. But my main criteria for any bike is not to have to bend my knees past 90 degrees, and not to have to lean forward to reach the bars. I want (and need) my arms and legs relaxed. There is definitely a huge difference in comfort level on a cruiser or touring bike with a rider backrest. I have one on both my Goldwing and my Vulcan 750.
I do like me some Triumphs. My last bike was the massive Rocket III Touring. With a custom Russell Day Long seat, risers and a bigger screen, it was good enough for 3-400 mile days. Heavy. Hard to push around. And FAT. I'm a guy, I'm not supposed to spread my legs like that
Loved the power on that bike though....
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #59
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
So much of this depends on your own body size, shape, and fitness. I don't doubt a bit that cruisers are the most comfortable for many of you. For me, no. I really do not like the feet-forward position. I think a Harley V-Rod with mid-mounted footpegs would be the closest to a comfortable cruiser to me (or the Ducati Diavel, which wasn't bad, although many argue it isn't really a cruiser either).

I have found my Ducati Monster to be a really good fit for me, in a position sort of between standard and sportbike. I stayed with the stock ergonomics for about 18 years, and those did fine for me, including trips with multiple days in a row over 600 miles each. In 2011, I fitted rearsets, and have found that to be even better for me. I'm only 50, though, and in good physical shape with no significant infirmities, so that's different from some. I could envision that if I had injuries or when age catches up to me, it might change my fit some, so I might change my mind some to fit.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (233,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #60
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,325
There are lots of cruisers out there that do not have forward controls. My '03 Moto Guzzi Titanium is one example.

I personally consider most Sportsters to be more of a standard than a cruiser, but I think I'm in the minority there. At any rate, my '04 Roadster came from the factory with mids.

Lots of the Superglides, like the '01 Sport (FXDXT) I used to own, came with mid controls.

And I don't consider the footboard arrangement on the Harley tourers to be true forward controls either. They are more of a "feet in front of you" position like sitting in a kitchen or office chair. No, your feet are not under your butt, but your legs aren't stretched out straight either.

Just because a person doesn't like forward controls (and I'm one of them) doesn't mean there aren't cruisers out there that they could find comfortable.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote