Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #61
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
I agree with Dave. I formerly had a Vulcan 750 which had foot pegs slightly forward. I found the seating position on the bike very comfortable.

My current SWing is also very comfortable because I can pull my feet up by the seat for riding twisties and move them forward for long straight cruises.

I owned a BMW R1100R for a short time and found it to be excruciatingly uncomfortable, forcing me to shove my feet aft of my knees and putting a significant bend in my knees which would cause my legs to cramp after no more than 10-20 miles. Footpeg lowering blocks did not help. Neither did raising the seat all the way up. I know there are many BMW fans here and most are absolutely sold on the user-friendliness of the R****R series. It works for them. It absolutely did not work for me.

I like the new CTX700 faired version...looks like it would make a very comfortable and capable solo tourer and the foot forward position looks similar to the VN750, so I think it might work for me. I've been reading the CTX thread and see the objections about lack of "soul" and forward pegs. I view my bikes as wonderful vehicles, inanimate objects designed to take me places and do things I can't do on or in other vehicles. Some bikes are more enjoyable to ride than others-this is very subjective and differs greatly from person to person, but I don't think much about the "soul" of a bike, because I recognize its status as an inanimate object. A "soul" is something people possess, not bikes, cars, bicycles or any other objects.

The bottom line is that what works for one person might not for another. Doesn't make either opinion less valid.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #62
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,568
My brother in law on his vstar.

Other bikes that tackled this same road at the same time:
71 guzzi ambassador
81 kz1000sp
02 vulcan900
Bloodweiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #63
Sidewise
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post
What part of Adventure RIDER don't you understand? This is not "Adventure Bike" It's more of an adventure to ride a cruiser to South America than to ride a GS to Starbucks.

Mitch

Sidewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #64
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
why don't ya'll cruiser folk prove everyone wrong and

POST SOME EPIC ADVENTURE PICTURES

instead of whining about your knees ?

Victory Vision - Dalton Highway -

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #65
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,505
That Guzzi is gorgeous. But most people would say that it, the Sportster, and the FXDXT ARE feet forward bikes. If the pegs are not way back behind you, most everybody will call it a "feet forward" bike. I have to have at least a 90 degree bend in my knees, and some bend in my elbows. My Goldwing has a seating position similar to that Guzzi, and I find it plenty comfortable. It's just to big for Solo touring. I don't need 6 cylinders, 1500cc, and that huge fairing, and the 35 mpg that goes with it, not to mention tires only last about 10,000 miles. I have 160,000 miles on Vulcan 750s, and would buy another if they still made them. Something about that bike just fits me perfectly, plus I like the power and handling. I am seriously considering the Honda CTX. I searched through all the new midsize Japanese cruisers, and the ones I like best are the Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer, and the Suzuki C50 SE, which could easily be converted into a tourer. Both these bikes have tubeless tires, something I consider extremely important for long trips.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #66
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Victory Vision - Dalton Highway -

Awesome!!!

For the haters...

In over 35 years and well over half a million miles of riding, I can honestly say that my VV is the most comfortable and practical long distance bike I have ever ridden. And before the VVV, I rode a BMW1200GSA, and before that a BMW1150GSA, and did over 50K on both of them.

Cruisers with bags are very good bikes.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #67
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

PS: And to all the 'Adventurers' peeing in the thread....

Lighten up!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #68
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit View Post
That's outside your damn flat.

Not. Epic. Enuf.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #69
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:

Awesome!!!

For the haters...

In over 35 years and well over half a million miles of riding, I can honestly say that my VV is the most comfortable and practical long distance bike I have ever ridden. And before the VVV, I rode a BMW1200GSA, and before that a BMW1150GSA, and did over 50K on both of them.

Cruisers with bags are very good bikes.
Dear God, that is absolutely HIDEOUS!!!!!

Bike's looking good though.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #70
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
That's outside your damn flat.

Not. Epic. Enuf.

PS: Its a loft!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #71
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,072
Quote:

PS: Its a loft!

I have never heard of a PVVFW until now.

A loft. Geez.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #72
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
There are lots of cruisers out there that do not have forward controls. My '03 Moto Guzzi Titanium is one example.

I personally consider most Sportsters to be more of a standard than a cruiser, but I think I'm in the minority there. At any rate, my '04 Roadster came from the factory with mids.

Lots of the Superglides, like the '01 Sport (FXDXT) I used to own, came with mid controls.

And I don't consider the footboard arrangement on the Harley tourers to be true forward controls either. They are more of a "feet in front of you" position like sitting in a kitchen or office chair. No, your feet are not under your butt, but your legs aren't stretched out straight either.

Just because a person doesn't like forward controls (and I'm one of them) doesn't mean there aren't cruisers out there that they could find comfortable.
I much prefer my feet to be below or behind my hips, so my legs are useful for shifting my weight and controlling the bike and for absorbing large bumps/pits if needed. I feel more in control of the bike that way, and more comfortable. So for me, even mid-controls are a compromise at best, and anything forward of that doesn't work for me. The footboard arrangement can be OK if you really embrace the "comfy chair" attitude of travel, and you're there for the scenery and not intent on the riding experience being about your connection to the bike.

My wife and I rented a Road King in Maui a couple years ago, and that fit the bill perfectly. Relaxed, slow roads, and all about sensing Maui. Comfy secure passenger accommodations where she didn't have to worry much about hanging on and could spend her attention taking pictures of things we saw as we went. That's a great bike for its intended purpose.

I have ridden several cruiser type bikes from time to time. They're just not for me.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #73
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240

Victory Sport Cruiser. One of only about 500 made. Mid Controls, handles pretty well, could us some more cornering clearence

vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 AM   #74
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,505
I really like those early Victorys, and wish they hadn't abandoned them so quickly. The V92C and V92SC were my favorite Victorys. I notice your Sport Cruiser has an aftermarket exhaust on it. I remember the huge pipe that originally came on them. Some of the magazine guys loved it, some hated it. Some photos of the original Victorys. http://www.autopictu.com/15944-victory-v92sc.html

I consider the Vulcan 750 to be a sport cruiser of sorts. It is lightweight and easy to throw around, has an amazing amount of power for a 750 v-twin, both bottom end and top end. At higher speeds the engine feels more like an inline four. I have done a lot of mountain riding on it, and simply cannot find any fault with it. It is not a crotch rocket, but handles very well, certainly well enough for me, and it is comfortable. Unlike most cruisers out there, it is a 1985 design, and I think it is more practical than a lot of newer models that put style first.

But there are still plenty of great cruisers out there of all sizes that will comfortably take you and a whole bunch of stuff pretty much anywhere you want to go.

JerryH screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 02:52 AM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #75
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That Guzzi is gorgeous. But most people would say that it, the Sportster, and the FXDXT ARE feet forward bikes. If the pegs are not way back behind you, most everybody will call it a "feet forward" bike. I have to have at least a 90 degree bend in my knees, and some bend in my elbows. My Goldwing has a seating position similar to that Guzzi, and I find it plenty comfortable. It's just to big for Solo touring. I don't need 6 cylinders, 1500cc, and that huge fairing, and the 35 mpg that goes with it, not to mention tires only last about 10,000 miles. I have 160,000 miles on Vulcan 750s, and would buy another if they still made them. Something about that bike just fits me perfectly, plus I like the power and handling. I am seriously considering the Honda CTX. I searched through all the new midsize Japanese cruisers, and the ones I like best are the Yamaha V-Star 950 Tourer, and the Suzuki C50 SE, which could easily be converted into a tourer. Both these bikes have tubeless tires, something I consider extremely important for long trips.
You posted on the Honda Rebel forum on Sept 9 2012 that you sold your Honda Goldwing and bought a Yamaha Zuma. Now which is it......

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote