Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #106
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
I gotta ask, as a non-criuser type rider, I cannont fathom the need for a heal(sp?) braking. Do some cruiser designs with floor boards actually feature two brake pedals? One for the toe and another for the heel? WTF?

cheers,
melby
Yes, it had a heel and toe brake pedal, looked exactly like the heel and toe shifter. But the back part where your heel went didn't do anything. I guess they just did it that way so both sides would match. This was a Goldwing, not a cruiser. I gave the whole setup to another forum member for the cost of shipping. I never wanted to see it again.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #107
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Some pictures from my 300 mile ride through the AZ desert today. Forgotten places the interstates passed by.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #108
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,400
48,000 trouble free miles on this VTX 1800 in 3.5 years. It was just gas, oil, tires and go.

I miss it to this day but oh well
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #109
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PacRat View Post
Have a look at this video - debaffling your stock pipes is a nice freebie on the Nomad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xr85grdXWc
I like quiet bikes ...lol.

as its used i am fine either way. it has a 2006 and the dealer wants 4500$.
going to offer 4k and see what he comes back with.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #110
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,170
I originally wanted a dual sport, but then financial reality set in and rather than try to save up for a year for a down payment, I jumped at the chance to buy this from a co-worker I got my 2004 V-Star 650 Classic with 8,500 miles for all of $1,400 with the windshield and saddle bags This bike has been spectacularly awesome as a first motorcycle. It's not light, doesn't have too much power (31 hp and 34 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheel on the dyno), but it's got enough to get the job done

9 July 2011 - Out on the old highway south of Jean, NV

3 September 2011 - Stopped at the Hackberry General Store on Route 66 a ways north of Kingman, AZ

3 September 2011 - Heading eastbound on Route 66 just outside of Seligman, AZ

2 January 2012 - Evening on the Scenic Loop in Red Rock Canyon just outside of Las Vegas, NV

15 June 2012 - Out at the Wedge Overlook on the San Rafael Swell near Price, UT

15 June 2012 - Stopped at the east end of the Swinging Bridge near the Buckhorn Draw on the San Rafael Swell near Price, UT

These are just a few of my pics from my travels on two wheels. I put 13,000 miles on the odometer in the first 12 months I owned this bike which is quite a bit considering my daily commute was only four miles round trip. I started riding in June of 2011. I took my first really long ride (long to me - I'm not RTW Doug or Rollin' ) in September and went from Vegas down to Prescott and Jerome, AZ. That trip included some serious corners and thunderstorms! I went from Vegas to Anza, CA in November. The Cajon Pass was interesting on that trip with 55 MPH crosswinds gusting to 75 MPH and lots of big rigs

I've only taken one really long ride since then which was the day I moved from Las Vegas, NV to Price, UT. 420 miles, lots of uphill and headwinds with the throttle wide open to try to keep up with some of the traffic. I'm still riding as much as possible and I've found that while a V-Star isn't really a dirtbike or a dual sport, it'll do just fine on dirt roads as long as I keep the speed down Trust me when I say you don't want to hit deep loose sand at 40 MPH on this bike - it'll double your vocabulary and triple your prayer life

I managed to lose one of the saddle bags somewhere along one of the roads so I've been making due with a backpack for the time being. I also haven't been able to ride as much as I'd like due to weather (what's up with all this cold white stuff in the winter ) and due to a lack of excess gas money as that's going to my wonderful 6 month old daughter

Yes, I'd love to have an F700GS, a DR650, or a TW200, but until finances improve I'm happy to have a motorcycle that's easy to ride, versatile, and a hell of a lot of fun Even then, I'm pretty sure I'll keep this bike for around town and short distance street use and just add a dual sport for the dirt because this is just such a nice riding bike
Old 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #111
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Another nice bike. When you get a dual sport, you are going to find the V-Star was a LOT more comfortable. I've had 4 dual sports, and never found any of them comfortable, though a whole lot better than any sport type bike. And at least with a cruiser on dirt roads, it's really easy to take your feet off the pegs and put them on the ground if necessary. Dual sport bikes are unrideable in deep sand as well, unless you have a rear sand tire, and you will still probably drop it a lot. You need 4 wheels, like a quad, for deep sand. I don't care for sand myself, but I live near Glamis, and many people around here have over $100,000 worth of sand toys, crew cab 4x4 1 ton pickups, toy haulers, bikes, quads, and sand rails. They go out almost every weekend. I just like to relax, cruise down the road in comfort, and rack up miles watching the scenery go by. I don't want to be fighting the bike and the road the whole way. And yes, I'm and old guy. And I'm not the only one out there.

I have been by that Hackberry General Store many times. I think I have probably ridden every back road in AZ.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #112
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Thanks, Jerry I can't begin to say just how awesome this bike's been for me and yes, comfort is part of that equation

I hope to get back to the Arizona back country sometime as it's gorgeous, but I've got quite a bit of Utah to explore in the mean time Have fun and thanks for the reply
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #113
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I think I have probably ridden every back road in AZ.

Man, your pictures make me homesick. I grew up in East Mesa, and learned to ride in the wide open deserts South of Broadway between Crisman Rd and Apache Jct. (this was the EARLY 70's) It was literally hundreds of miles of paradise for a kid on a 160 Honda with a 12 tooth front, and everything stripped down.

I left around 82 and haven't been back. They say all the open desert is fenced off now.

Best to ya.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #114
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Most of the desert and farmland is GONE now, replaced by millions of cookie cutter stucco houses and shopping malls. Even the Hunt Highway got paved, and is luxury homes and golf courses form one end to the other. I grew up in Queen Creek, on Sossaman Farms, back in the '60s and '70s. Everything has been wiped out now.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #115
RideWeaver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question Cruiser Thread

So with all the posts and opinons in this thread...and some pretty awesome photos ...do the moderators feel compelled yet to add a ADV Cruiser section?
RideWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #116
The PacRat
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWeaver View Post
So with all the posts and opinons in this thread...and some pretty awesome photos ...do the moderators feel compelled yet to add a ADV Cruiser section?

A Cruiser subforum would be pretty handy!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #117
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

A cruiser subforum would be a great idea!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #118
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I grew up in Queen Creek,
I used to play guitar in Queen Creek in the late 70s at a bar called the "Cotten Ball". It was a nice place at the time as I recall. Had a large room for Bands.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #119
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

The Cotton Ball is gone, just like most everything else old. The old brick school building where I went was taken over by some historical society and partially restored.

The way I see it most cruisers are far better adventure bikes than dual sports because they are more comfortable, have a MUCH better seat, have a lower center of gravity, and you don't need a ladder to get on them. Anything can be dropped, though my 11 year old 78,000 mile Vulcan 750 never has been.

IF you are strictly riding off road trails, then a cruiser is not the right bike. But if your travels are mostly on pavement and smooth graded dirt or gravel, you would be hard pressed to do better than a cruiser. A cruisers one weak point is a lack of ground clearance, and maybe weight on the really big ones. I have found 750 sized cruisers will go almost anywhere. The Vulcan makes about 60 hp, though it's motor is a bit high strung. A 45-50 hp motor in the same sized bike, with a lot more torque would be more useful. The Vulcan 750 is a 1985 design, which makes it more practical in a lot of ways than newer cruisers where they put style first.

I have ridden all over the country (not to Alaska) on cruisers. In 2001 I traded my 80,000 mile '93 Vulcan 750 for a new KLR650. The seat was so bad I gave it up in less than a year, and traded it for a brand new '02 Vulcan 750. Other issues with the KLR were a lack of any place to carry anything (yes, $1500 worth of panniers would have fixed that, but I didn't want to spend that much money on a bike with such a poor excuse for a seat) It also lacked power on the freeway where the Vulcan cruises effortlessly at 80 mph, and it was so tall it felt awkward in town.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #120
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 140
Never was much of a cruiser guy until I bought my '10 Thunderbird. I got it used with under 2,000 miles and the entire accessory catalog thrown at it. What wasn't on the bike was still new in the box. It also has the 1700cc big bore kit installed. It's a 700+ lb freight train that always turns heads. I only use it locally and on day trips. It handles like a much lighter bike.

Thumperama screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 10:26 AM
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote