Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #16
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
The stick of titanium in my tibia was itemized on my bill as something worth more than 8,000 dollars... You might be on to something. That said, if I ever get it pulled out you bet your ass I'm getting it back.
As scrap, it's probably worth ~$5-10. When was it installed? The docs used to use a strong "aircraft" Ti alloy known as Ti-6-4, meaning 6% Al and 4% Vanadium. Then they discovered some/many? people were allergic to V, so a strong V-free Ti alloy was developed.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,039
The pics I had the ER nurses take with my cell phone shows 3:45 PM May 15 2010 as the time they started drilling the core out in my tibia.
At 4:16 they were screwing the top anchor screw in place.
Not that I was keeping track or anything - those bastards wouldn't even let me look behind the curtain to see what the man was doing!

I know that stick isn't worth a whole lot. I was blown away with how much they charge for it though. Pretty good markup.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
The pics I had the ER nurses take with my cell phone shows 3:45 PM May 15 2010 as the time they started drilling the core out in my tibia.
At 4:16 they were screwing the top anchor screw in place.
Not that I was keeping track or anything - those bastards wouldn't even let me look behind the curtain to see what the man was doing!

I know that stick isn't worth a whole lot. I was blown away with how much they charge for it though. Pretty good markup.
Are you telling me you were conscious during the procedure? Sweet jebus, man. That's hard core.

I was out cold, on top of having a nerve block. It was the most pain-free awakening I've ever experienced. Having hospitalized myself several times now, I've discovered just what a beautiful thing a nerve block is.
Parepin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Are you telling me you were conscious during the procedure? Sweet jebus, man. That's hard core.
Back when I was a student, a friend repeated a story told by one of his biology professors. The professor needed foot surgery and got the docs to give her a local so she could sit up and watch what they were doing. I'd turn green, blow chunks, and pass out.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,366
To chime in on that one, I was conscious during the installation of the screws in my ankle. They even set up a mirror so I could critique their performance!

(and no, the "medic" part of my name does not confer any medical knowledge- I fix motorcycles)

I swear, the cordless drill he used looked just like my Makita, only white.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #21
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,039

Did it look like this cordless?
Awake and blissfully numb to what was happening below my waist. I don't like anesthesia, so they gave me an epidural and plenty of mind warping chemicals to take me away.

The orthopedic surgeon did give me a mirror for about 10 seconds during the procedure, but he wouldn't lower the curtain and prop up my head so I could watch . I wouldn't have remembered it anyway, but at least they (and the EMT's at the accident scene) obliged my request to take some pics with my cell.

I'd like to drill and tap the rod so I can mount a shin guard on it... Or maybe reflectors or little halloween faces. Damn doc said that wasn't a good idea either!
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
To chime in on that one, I was conscious during the installation of the screws in my ankle. They even set up a mirror so I could critique their performance!

(and no, the "medic" part of my name does not confer any medical knowledge- I fix motorcycles)

I swear, the cordless drill he used looked just like my Makita, only white.
Quote:

Did it look like this cordless?
Awake and blissfully numb to what was happening below my waist. I don't like anesthesia, so they gave me an epidural and plenty of mind warping chemicals to take me away.

The orthopedic surgeon did give me a mirror for about 10 seconds during the procedure, but he wouldn't lower the curtain and prop up my head so I could watch . I wouldn't have remembered it anyway, but at least they (and the EMT's at the accident scene) obliged my request to take some pics with my cell.

I'd like to drill and tap the rod so I can mount a shin guard on it... Or maybe reflectors or little halloween faces. Damn doc said that wasn't a good idea either!
You people are sick.

I went into it wanting nothing to do with any of it. I don't remember anything from an hour before the procedure up to being wheeled into my room that evening. The nerve block held strong until the next day. It was kinda nice. I don't even remember getting the anesthesia to begin with. It's fucked up that missing large chunks of time has become "Just another day" for me.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,366
I had the option on the last one, the installation of the "internal fixators" in my right leg due to the third spiral fracture of the tib/fib.

I passed, having witnessed it once I figured I had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
I have a rod in my left femur along with various pins and screws in other parts and i'm wondering why you had them removed. The pins have been in since 79 and the rod since 88 with no discernable problems.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #25
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
You people are sick.

I went into it wanting nothing to do with any of it. I don't remember anything from an hour before the procedure up to being wheeled into my room that evening. The nerve block held strong until the next day. It was kinda nice. I don't even remember getting the anesthesia to begin with. It's fucked up that missing large chunks of time has become "Just another day" for me.
I didn't want to be awake for my appendectomy, but I wish I'd asked for pictures.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I have a rod in my left femur along with various pins and screws in other parts and i'm wondering why you had them removed. The pins have been in since 79 and the rod since 88 with no discernable problems.
I was having a lot of problems with it that kept me from working my trade. I've had days where I couldn't walk from the moment I woke up, sometimes lasting days. There's only so many times that you can crawl down the hall and into the bathtub before something needs to be done.

Also, my health insurance is up at the end of March, so I made a move (albeit drastic) while I could. They also went in and reshaped the cartilage in my hip joint. No regrets.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 136
Fun with Metal

Titanium has some interesting thermal/electrical properties; Shape Memory Alloys. I used to reshape titanium spinner-baits with a Bic lighter that got torn up in tree stumps, they were expensive. Used heavy line to make sure I got them back.

It will mean more if the creative thing comes from your head not someone else, give it time to perc.

I had a Walleye buddy that made sure he got his defective heart valve back so he could use it as bait. Caught a Walleye from Devil's Lake with it.

If my Ti-Ni shoulder gets too cold it takes special care for awhile to get it back to normal. Glad to hear you are metal and pain-free.
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
Parepin OP
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_apple View Post
Titanium has some interesting thermal/electrical properties; Shape Memory Alloys. I used to reshape titanium spinner-baits with a Bic lighter that got torn up in tree stumps, they were expensive. Used heavy line to make sure I got them back.

It will mean more if the creative thing comes from your head not someone else, give it time to perc.

I had a Walleye buddy that made sure he got his defective heart valve back so he could use it as bait. Caught a Walleye from Devil's Lake with it.

If my Ti-Ni shoulder gets too cold it takes special care for awhile to get it back to normal. Glad to hear you are metal and pain-free.
I've never worked with Titanium before. I had a brief stint working in a machine shop, and during that time we had one job come in that had to be made of titanium. Many bits were broken or destroyed before my boss had to pass it off to a more capable shop. I'm tempted to cut it in half and pound it into a pair of tire spoons, but I see the possibility of failure pretty high. I'd hate to end up destroying the piece because of some gun ho, half hatched thought. For sure, I'll have to simmer on it. I see myself carrying it around along with my gear on my various travels before it finds a purpose.

Your walleye buddy is bad ass.

Also worth noting, this does not make me metal free. Or pain free, for what it's worth. It simply means I am more meaty-wop than my former robo-wop title.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #29
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,468
side-stand?

or a crash-pad cross bar like on a set of dirtbike handlebars:

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #30
GordyOZ
Lesser grey wobbler

Oddometer: 203
there has to be a bottle holder waiting to be born out of that lot....