Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
I used a 1/2" mc on twin 38mm ate's and found that while they stopped well they never felt firm at the lever. I could always pull the lever to the bars.
so how would you better the feel in the brake lever?

Would you up the bore size to say a 13mm?

(im trying to understand front brakes well in my head - so forgive the multiple questions )

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,477
I used a universal fitment Magura 13mm. It was like $110 I think. It fit very well with the /5 style throttle, after I chopped off the old brake lever perch. I got it from Economy Cycle, but I know lots of places sell it.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
I used a universal fitment Magura 13mm. It was like $110 I think. It fit very well with the /5 style throttle, after I chopped off the old brake lever perch. I got it from Economy Cycle, but I know lots of places sell it.
links dude? please :)

got it - http://www.economycycle.com/servlet/...der-Kit/Detail

$50 delivery form USA to AUS - HAHA...wtf?! man you guys pump us aussies

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6

Hearse screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 05:48 PM Reason: Found it: http://www.economycycle.com/servlet/the-930/Front-Master-Cylinder-Kit/Detail
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #19
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
so how would you better the feel in the brake lever?

Would you up the bore size to say a 13mm?
If you achieve a good leverage ratio as described here http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/89/95/ , and if the goal is to have the ratio somewhere around 14:1 to 12:1 as proposed in the article, then the "feel" should be good. To address the problems that SamH reports in his post above - it sounds like it could involve several issues. A few come to mind: 1) brake hoses - get new hoses, possibly the Spiegler type - http://www.spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-77.htm ; 2) get new bake pads; 3) align the calipers correctly; and 4) bleed the system and bleed it again and elevate the calipers above the MC and bleed 'em again. Also, did I mention... bleed the system?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 08:31 PM Reason: spell check
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #20
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
links dude? please :)

got it - http://www.economycycle.com/servlet/...der-Kit/Detail

$50 delivery form USA to AUS - HAHA...wtf?! man you guys pump us aussies
Oops, I didn't realize that you were in Australia!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
SamH
90S on the bench

Oddometer: 434
Yeah, more info on my situation. I had new braided lines and new pads. Bleeding would have been the only thing that could have been off.
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Yeah, more info on my situation. I had new braided lines and new pads. Bleeding would have been the only thing that could have been off.
Caliper alignment to the disc? This is critical. A discussion was started in post #76 here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=859748&page=6 .
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #23
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Personally I wouldn't want any more lever travel than a 14mm handlebar MC gets you with twin swingers but I like a firm lever. I like 14mm with twin Brembo's. A lot more piston area I know but it doesn't work out like it is 'suppose' to IMO.

Perfect caliper alignment? I have checked enough of them with magic markers to know that there often is no such thing. I have found that a compromised position will often get you the best braking but if I rode a pre '81 model the first thing I would do to it would be put '81 on sliders and calipers and a '81 on clutch in it. Pre '81 clutch, brakes, and points? Not for me. I can't ride the way I like to ride with the earlier stuff. For some reason I decided just a while back that if I ride older than '81 I am going all the way back to /3's. I want a R51 with a R69S engine in it and a R68 repo front fender!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #24
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Personally I wouldn't want any more lever travel than a 14mm handlebar MC gets you with twin swingers but I like a firm lever. I like 14mm with twin Brembo's. A lot more piston area I know but it doesn't work out like it is 'suppose' to IMO.

Perfect caliper alignment? I have checked enough of them with magic markers to know that there often is no such thing. I have found that a compromised position will often get you the best braking but if I rode a pre '81 model the first thing I would do to it would be put '81 on sliders and calipers and a '81 on clutch in it. Pre '81 clutch, brakes, and points? Not for me. I can't ride the way I like to ride with the earlier stuff. For some reason I decided just a while back that if I ride older than '81 I am going all the way back to /3's. I want a R51 with a R69S engine in it and a R68 repo front fender!
Personally, I wouldn't want any more lever travel than a 14mm handlebar MC gets you with twin swingers but I like a firm lever... if I rode a pre '81 model the first thing I would do to it would be put '81 on sliders and calipers...

I do have the 38 mm ATE's (1975 BMW R90S) and I really like the feel of my 14 mm MC. I'll bet the Brembo calipers would be great, but I decided to limit the modifications to the ol' bike (for now). It could be a possibility in the future.

Pre '81 clutch, brakes, and points? Not for me. I can't ride the way I like to ride with the earlier stuff.

Back in 1983 my buddy bought a new R100S and it was SWEET, so much better than my old clunker. Well, I still have that old clunker and I am going to RIDE it - been rehabilitating the bike to the best condition possible without radical modifications. Each will have his own definition of "radical". Hey, my bike is a 38 year old ANTIQUE. If I want a bike that handles, brakes, and runs like a new Ducati I suppose I need to win the lottery and BUY one.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S