ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
Oh and as of this Saturday I will be a born again Riverside resident but there is no way I am riding the 91 to work on a bike... I am too chicken
Welcome back, vato!

Carpool lane, cover the brakes at all times, plan on at least one person a day having their head in the clouds and cutting you off.

And Andrew is right, the one time I got a ticket it was for unsafe lane change, and I earned it.
I think the only reason I got the ticket was because there was so much traffic it took 2 miles for the cop to catch up to me. He may have thought I was evading, but I wasn't.
Big line of cars at stop light, I was about 7-8 cars back, filtering to the front when the light changed to green, I thought "If I gas the shit out of it, I can get out of this pack of cars" so I did. Successfully. And then I caught another pack and kept on it. Oops.
The only reason he caught me was because I made a left off the main artery into my neighborhood, had to wait in the center lane for oncoming traffic to clear and suddenly there was a cruiser in my mirror with a red faced gentleman at the wheel. "Pull over!" over the PA.
I didn't complain.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Lane spliting

What are you all talking about ? What the hell are you doing riding a motorcycle on a road with that many lanes.
A paved road is pushing it. I tend to stay away from anything with more than 2 lanes. Now if you talking about staying between the two little yellow lines on a good twisty section I understand. it may not be smart but if you want to hone your skills and oncoming traffic is not scary for you, it can be fun.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
"The guidelines say motorcyclists can ride between two cars if there is room

Damm! Ive always wanted to see how far I could get when there isn't room....

of course, any GS owner with boxes can tell you.... it does get snug

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,240
The naysayers or civilians who state, "I don't that's safe, so I don't think you should do that" really irk me. Not safe for whom? If you really care about MY safety, check your mirrors before lane changing, use your turn signals, don't turn left in front of me, and don't attempt to prevent me from doing something that is perfectly legal. They're just pissed/jealous that we can do this.

I think a new study is in order. The Hurt Report is outdated. But it did show that the majority of accidents involving motorcycles and other vehicles were the result of the other vehicle violating the motorcyclist's right-of-way. And not only is a study in order, but a campaign to explain the safety and merits of lane sharing, along with acceptable guidelines. I'm not sure if I'm in favor of what the CHP has posted, but I can understand that it's a start. There are definitely more wrong than right ways to do it safely.

I do fear, however, that these posted guidelines are the first step to tougher enforcement and/or limits to lane sharing.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
I do fear, however, that these posted guidelines are the first step to tougher enforcement and/or limits to lane sharing.
Not one thing has been said to road patrol officers about lane splitting enforcement. This came from public affairs about all the questions the CHP gets about lane splitting.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #21
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400 View Post
Not one thing has been said to road patrol officers about lane splitting enforcement. This came from public affairs about all the questions the CHP gets about lane splitting.
With this much attention, maybe there will be more focus on riders not following "The Protocol", which can lead to further complaints and demands from the public for more "enforcement". And then from there, political will to change the vehicle code.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #22
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
With this much attention, maybe there will be more focus on riders not following "The Protocol", which can lead to further complaints and demands from the public for more "enforcement". And then from there, political will to change the vehicle code.
Possible, but I doubt it. In my 14 years on the job, not one thing has ever been said about motorcyclists lane splitting.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,459
There are another few things they should clear up while they are at it..

Running red lights after not registering your bike .. (wait a complete circut then go when safe)

Passing on double yellow mtn roads following slow traffic ... (when safe to do so)
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
bdarling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
It seems that I'm in the minority on this one, but I have never felt comfortable lane sharing. There have been too many close calls with drivers intentionally and unintentionally blocking me that I have decided lane sharing is just not worth the risk. I don't have anything against other riders splitting and I certainly don't think legislation should be passed to outlaw splitting, but I think many of us push the risk out of our conscious mind for the sake of convenience. Additionally, my GS handlebars happen to ride at the exact same height as every 1/2 ton through 1 ton pickup's mirrors, so splitting is always a squeeze.

All of this said, I have taken advantage of the passing full-dress, straight pipe Harley blazing a trail for me. If he can fit, so can I!

-B

P.S. amen on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Running red lights after not registering your bike .. (wait a complete circut then go when safe)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #25
whutner
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 17
I lane split whenever / wherever I want to and feel safe doing it. I even go past single lane traffic if its stopped. I'm not gonna sit and let my bike overheat and risk sitting there in traffic in what looks to other cars as free spot they can squeeze into if i can just cruise down the shoulder and skip past all that shit.

I dgaf about the law unless there's a cop there looking at me. I do whatever I think the best move is.
whutner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #26
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,869
Lane "sharing" is a good thing.

Thanks
CA Reasonable and Prudent
Old 02-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
JAZ by the Bay
Bus driver

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Might also be the opposite. It's a reasonable guideline and by having some actual rules surrounding lanesplitting the general right to split is more secure. Inclusio unius est exclusio alterius.
JAZ by the Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 400
Its Nice to Share!!

I commuted for two years, year round on a bike when i lived in the Grey Area , Hwy 580 to Oakland and back to the tri-valley. I had people try and kill me. Once between two semis. I will never will split between big rigs again, way too scary. I have dodged coffee, doors, newspapers and spit. I have had the lane splitting conversation with Mr. CHP before and they always said the same thing, Its up to the discretion of the officer whether they think you are riding safely or not.
My biggest concern these days is cell phone talkers. Keep your eyes out and ride safe.
Steve
Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #29
BlueBlazerIrregular
Bike Punk

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5150 View Post
As a habitual lanesplitter and an LEO,

Now if the cop is on a motorcycle, forget everything I just said.
As someone who works on the reactive side of the injury with a badge, I have picked up CHP on city streets AND the Highway, specifically the BAY BRIDGE WB before Treasure Island. Every CHP on a bike has told me, after me telling them I ride my motorcycle to the station EVERYDAY, including the rainy days; "the safest place for us to be is lane splitting. Between the cars, NOT in front or in back of them". And EVERY CHP, and city cop on a bike, that was put in the back of the ambulance by me, was NOT because of lane splitting, rather for inattentive drivers stopping for no reason or NOT stopping when they should. That all being said, it is only over a decade of 911 duty in Alameda county and SF, I'm sure there are others who have different stories, just assume that all the drivers are going to make a mistake, they might spill their coffee on the new seat, but you might spill your blood on the new road. The "guidelines" are only that, a guide.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I am a little concerned that they are tasking UC Berkeley with the study. They could very well decide that we must have flowers painted on our bikes to be legal when lane splitting, or that lane splitting hurts someone's feelings or exposes drivers to exhaust noise, and should be outlawed. Seriously.
Berkeley native and UCB grad here. I split lanes and I don't have flowers on my bikes (ADV stickers, yes). Traffic on I-80 through Berkeley is so backed up 24/7 that lane-splitting is a necessity.

Seriously, the best thing about this new policy is the exposure it got in the papers and on TV. Hopefully that will remind the car drivers that it is safe and legal.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote