ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #106
mudpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Wink Scooters

To be clear, I have no problem with scooters per se. My wife had a Burgman that could easily clear traffic. However, the 49cc jobs are an impediment. My intent was to point out that UNDER-POWERED scooters should not be going to the front of the line at a red light, because THEY are not able to accelerate quicker than traffic and they obstruct traffic as a result of their slow acceleration and limited top speed...I would add that these under-powered jobs are a hazard even when the speed limit is as low as 35 because their acceleration is so poor...
mudpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #107
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Rocket View Post
"A more robust study is underway at UC Berkeley’s Safe Transportation Research & Education Center. The CHP is working with Research Epidemiologist Tom Rice to document the circumstances of every motorcycle accident it investigates over a year. The data collection is almost done. Rice said he expects to have findings by summer or fall that may once and for all answer the question, “Is lane-splitting safe?”
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...tory?track=rss
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=103
Is there any interest in developing a plan for if lane splitting is deemed "unsafe" by/after the Berkeley study, due to the number of accidents, severity of injuries, traffic effects, etc. - even if cars and truck drivers are found to be at fault?

In the interest of not chasing off relevant productive discussion entirely to PMs and off-site, please take scooter talk, disagreements about lane splitting's current legal status, etc. elsewhere.

Thanks.

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #108
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Is there any interest in developing a plan for if lane splitting is deemed "unsafe" by/after the Berkeley study, due to the number of accidents, severity of injuries, traffic effects, etc. - even if cars and truck drivers are found to be at fault?

In the interest of not chasing off relevant productive discussion entirely to PMs and off-site, please take scooter talk, disagreements about lane splitting's current legal status, etc. elsewhere.

Thanks.
I actually think we're in good shape. Our neighbors in NV are pushing a bill that looks like it has some chance of success, and the CHP are a powerful force on this topic. If the results of the survey are catastrophic, I think we should be worried - but I don't think that will be the case. By the way, I've been emailing with Thomas Rice, the researcher at SafeTREC who's working on this study. He hasn't given me much yet, but I'm hoping to get some insight into the questions they're asking, etc.

Also, Sergeant Mark Pope, Statewide Coordinator for the California Motorcyclists Safety Program and the guy who's been quoted in damn near every media mention about the CHP lane splitting guidelines, graciously took some time out this week to have a quick chat with me for LaneSplittingIsLegal.com. Check out the interview here.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #109
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
I actually think we're in good shape. Our neighbors in NV are pushing a bill that looks like it has some chance of success, and the CHP are a powerful force on this topic. If the results of the survey are catastrophic, I think we should be worried - but I don't think that will be the case. By the way, I've been emailing with Thomas Rice, the researcher at SafeTREC who's working on this study. He hasn't given me much yet, but I'm hoping to get some insight into the questions they're asking, etc.

Also, Sergeant Mark Pope, Statewide Coordinator for the California Motorcyclists Safety Program and the guy who's been quoted in damn near every media mention about the CHP lane splitting guidelines, graciously took some time out this week to have a quick chat with me for LaneSplittingIsLegal.com. Check out the interview here.
Good interview, thanks.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #110
K. L. Rocket

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work.

Quote:
I actually think we're in good shape. Our neighbors in NV are pushing a bill that looks like it has some chance of success, and the CHP are a powerful force on this topic..
Will CHP express an opinion in support of lane splitting if its legality is threatened or it becomes illegal?

Quote:
If the results of the survey are catastrophic, I think we should be worried - but I don't think that will be the case..
Your optimism is appreciated, is it information-based and, if so, will you please share the information with us?

Quote:
By the way, I've been emailing with Thomas Rice, the researcher at SafeTREC who's working on this study. He hasn't given me much yet, but I'm hoping to get some insight into the questions they're asking, etc.
All I've seen about the study is that he's involved and it's a retrospective study, so it doesn't appear likely that it will be question/survey based. I speculate, becuase there's almost no information and therefore impossible to know, that statisticians will look for trends among the data collected here, Transportation Injury Mapping System (TIMS): http://www.tims.berkeley.edu/.

There's an interesting article about TIMS here: http://vcresearch.berkeley.edu/news/...fic-collisions. From the article:

"Starting today (Wednesday, April 6[, 2011]), anyone with access to the Internet can register for a free account to access the Transportation Injury Mapping System, or TIMS, to perform customized searches of 130,000 serious and fatal crashes in the state. Users can view the history of crashes from 2000 to 2008, the most recent year data are available, by county, city, neighborhood or along specific routes. Additional years of collision data will be incorporated into TIMS as they become available."

"The UC Berkeley researchers had a wealth of data from which to work. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) collects data on all reported crashes – including collisions on local roads as well as on state highways – and records the information in the California Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System. This database formed the foundation for the records in the TIMS project."

Quote:
"A media campaign will be kicked off on May 1, in conjunction with Motorcycle Safety Awareness month."
http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lane...chps-mark-pope

Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #111
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Good interview, thanks.
Quote:
Thanks for the update and keep up the good work.
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Will CHP express an opinion in support of lane splitting if its legality is threatened or it becomes illegal?
I think so. I've heard some statements off the record that they and other orgs will be all over it.

Quote:
Your optimism is appreciated, is it information-based and, if so, will you please share the information with us?
It's partly info-based. There's a lot of pretty good data around not getting rear-ended, congestion and even "green-ness" of lane splitting, and don't forget ABATE has a lobbyist on this. I'd hope the AMA would step up as well. I also think there's reason to be cautiously optimistic for AB236 in Nevada and if that passes it'll be some good momentum. So my optimism is based on a collection of stuff, both info and gut-feel bits.

Quote:
All I've seen about the study is that he's involved and it's a retrospective study, so it doesn't appear likely that it will be question/survey based. I speculate, becuase there's almost no information...
You're right - there's very little info - it's frustrating. But coincidentally, I got some clarification on this today.The SafeTREC study will be "in collaboration with CHP ... collecting supplemental information during the investigation of motorcycle collisions in California between August 1 2012 and July 31 2013." Expect that report in the fall. I've also just gotten contact information for the OTS survey, which is also going on - I think this is similar to the OTS survey from 2012. Will follow up with more info on this when I have it.

In other news, I took part in a segment for ABC 7's "Beyond The Headlines" with Cheryl Jennings today. The topic of the segment is "sharing the road" and I was asked to speak on lane splitting and motorcycle safety, along with representatives from the CHP, Walk SF and the SF Bike Coalition. The segment won't air until May 12th at 10 AM, but there are a few preview photos from the shoot on the LaneSplittingIsLegal.com Facebook page. Really cool experience - they seemed to be eager to help spread the word, and I'm excited about the exposure this will bring for the site.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #112
Cannabinoid
Banned

Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 10:17 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #113
K. L. Rocket

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entheogen View Post
If they ban lane splitting I'm sure I would stop doing it like, they banned weed, speeding, riding in the emergency lane, riding closed trails, the list goes on and on. Yup, I never ever do those things because I have such high regard for the Law. LMFAO.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #114
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

In regard to yesterday's discussion of optimism - AB236, the Nevada lane splitting bill, just passed the Transportation committee. Slightly amended, limited opposition (only 2 committee members opposed) - really exciting! Full story here.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #115
mike54
You don't get me

Quote:
In regard to yesterday's discussion of optimism - AB236, the Nevada lane splitting bill, just passed the Transportation committee. Slightly amended, limited opposition (only 2 committee members opposed) - really exciting! Full story here.
"I don't want to see motorcyclists guts all over the back of my car."

Let me assure Assemblywoman Carlton that the motorcyclist doesn't want to see that either. Actually it's more likely to happen if the motorcyclist is in their lane and gets rear ended. There's a lot of people who are ignorant of the realities of riding a motorcycle.
A little off topic but for example. I was taking a traffic school class about 20 years ago. I arrived on my bike and parked next to the instructor. So immediatly I was identified as 'the motorcyclist'. So during any discussion I became the spokesman for all motorcyclists. I was kind of suprised at some of the hostility out there. But the most amusing comment was from a woman who said "I just hate it when they lean over around a corner. It scares me to death. Why can't they just hold the bike up straight when the go around a corner." Thankfully the instructor set her straight. But it just shows there's a lot of ignorance out there.

Thanks for keep up the website SF_Hooligan. It's part of the education we need.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #116
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:

Let me assure Assemblywoman Carlton that the motorcyclist doesn't want to see that either. Actually it's more likely to happen if the motorcyclist is in their lane and gets rear ended. There's a lot of people who are ignorant of the realities of riding a motorcycle.
A little off topic but for example. I was taking a traffic school class about 20 years ago. I arrived on my bike and parked next to the instructor. So immediatly I was identified as 'the motorcyclist'. So during any discussion I became the spokesman for all motorcyclists. I was kind of suprised at some of the hostility out there. But the most amusing comment was from a woman who said "I just hate it when they lean over around a corner. It scares me to death. Why can't they just hold the bike up straight when the go around a corner." Thankfully the instructor set her straight. But it just shows there's a lot of ignorance out there.

That's awesome - keep it upright in the corner. There is indeed a lot of ignorance out there, but that's the first time I've heard that one.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #117
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,240
Quote:

That about sums it up...Whether discussing riding in the rain, leaning in a corner or lane sharing, ignorant people are the ones making the complaints, raising unfounded concerns and educating the youth. And they vote.

My son corrected his 5th grade teacher in class when she complained about motorcycles "illegally" lane sharing one day.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #118
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
My son corrected his 5th grade teacher in class when she complained about motorcycles "illegally" lane sharing one day.
Awesome.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #119
mike54
You don't get me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
You need to buy him a beer.

Not right away though. It can wait a few years.

Do stand up guys lie?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #120
K. L. Rocket

Gotta love all the good news!

SFH, when possible, will you please post your BTH interview here? Thanks!