Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
dahoul6 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
R1200GS Adapt final drive 2011 on 2005

Hello everyone,: Wave

I'm French. Excuse me for the language but I do not speak English, I translated with google.

I have a r1200gs adventure 06/2006. I broke the final drive in Morocco. I bought a 2011 brand new and cheap. The problem is to adapt the abs sensor is different.

Does anyone have a solution?

Huge thank you! : Happay
dahoul6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,191
The rear wheel speed sensor from your 06 should fit in the FD just fine, it is the connector that is different correct?

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
The rear wheel speed sensor from your 06 should fit in the FD just fine, it is the connector that is different correct?
Not correct.

The pre-2008 and post-2008 R-bikes use different rear wheel speed sensor. The two sensors are mechanically and electrically incompatible with each other. Also, the connector is diffirent but that's the least of the issues.

So you can put a 2008+ FD on a 2006 R-bike and it will "work" (as long as you use the 2006 drive shaft) but you won't have a working speedometer, no ABS and no gear indicator.

Now, it is possible to craft a circuit that adapts the newer type speed sensor to work with the older bikes but that's not a simple circuit. If someone is really interested in that, I can provide the details.
But honestly, it's not a simple resistor/diode/whatever circuit like for an example a offset circuit for the IAT sensor.

--
Mikko
Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
Not correct.

The pre-2008 and post-2008 R-bikes use different rear wheel speed sensor. The two sensors are mechanically and electrically incompatible with each other. Also, the connector is diffirent but that's the least of the issues.

So you can put a 2008+ FD on a 2006 R-bike and it will "work" (as long as you use the 2006 drive shaft) but you won't have a working speedometer, no ABS and no gear indicator.

Now, it is possible to craft a circuit that adapts the newer type speed sensor to work with the older bikes but that's not a simple circuit. If someone is really interested in that, I can provide the details.
But honestly, it's not a simple resistor/diode/whatever circuit like for an example a offset circuit for the IAT sensor.

--
Mikko
OK, just curious the parts manual shows the same speed sensor (34527677824) and FD used from August 2006 thru beyond 2010, so it looks like the change was made when BMW adopted the Gen II ABS.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
ivanov13
Weekend Traveler

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
Not correct.

--
Mikko
Hi,

friend of mine is trying to fit a 2008 FD to his 2005 1200GS. Mechanically everything works, but, as You describe, no ABS, no speedometer and no gear indicator including the neutral light.
So, could you, please give us more information about the additional circuit that You have made?
Thanks a lot!

Ivan
Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
mini151
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I too would love to see the circuit you came up with. I had the FD in my 06 crap out and am looking at all options.
Thanks