Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #121
nimrod
Pog Mo Thoin

Oddometer: 656
Went to order side racks for my Yamaha wr250r and see they're discontinued. Called Wolfman for info but no one answers. They are supposedly coming up with a replacement and I'm trying to find info - anyone know anything?
"Betweem two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before" -Mae West
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #122
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 438
My bags went to Newfoundland without any problems! Crashed only ones, totally water and dust proof!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...clap:clap:clap

Thanks to Wolfman!!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #123
OFA
Adventure Obsession

Oddometer: 118
Ive ridden about 60, 000 kilometers with my Wolfman expedition bags and they have had one problem. It's the rings rusting. They got rusty within a few month's and have gotten worse since. Can't understand why the hardware woukd be poor quality when the bags are so good.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #124
Aquafire
RMSR

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFA View Post
Ive ridden about 60, 000 kilometers with my Wolfman expedition bags and they have had one problem. It's the rings rusting. They got rusty within a few month's and have gotten worse since. Can't understand why the hardware woukd be poor quality when the bags are so good.
+1 My metal fasteners also rusted. It's the only blemish on an otherwise awesome product. For the minor cost increase in switching production to stainless steel from chrome plated, I think it would be worth it.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #125
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
hardware rust?

IIRC, standard pack hardware is normally nickel plated, not chrome. SS isn't much more rust resistent but many times the cost and not as strong.

If you're exposed to a lot of water then treat them with a metal protectant. Wolfman doesn't make pack hardware.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #126
Three Dawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
SS isn't much more rust resistent but many times the cost and not as strong.
Hmmm, don't have many (well, any) rusty stainless steel nuts and bolts on my bike, A2 or A4.
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #127
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Rust on SS? Sure.

From the 'Rust Store':
Stainless steel can develop rust. It is much less likely to rust but it can still rust. Leave a wet cast iron skillet in a stainless steel sink and you'll see a rusted ring in your sink. The stainless steel didn't rust but the pan stained the surface and it will not be easy to remove.
It is also possible for stainless steel to corrode (rust). There are over 150 grades of stainless steel and some are more prone to corrosion than others. Generally, the higher the chromium content, the less likely the steel will rust. However, over time, rust can and will develop on stainless steel. To prevent stainless steel from rusting, you need to passivate it. Passivating stainless steel is a process that allows stainless steel to retain its corrosion resistance.
As a long time boater from the PNW we get to see all kinds of rust and corrosion. Even on what's deemed to be stainless steel.

All I'm saying is I highly doubt you're gonna see SS hardware on Wolfman luggage, and not sure there would be much benefit regardless.

Moving along now...
Old 11-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #128
Aquafire
RMSR

Oddometer: 47
What a bunch of irrelevant BS. They can make the rings out of stainless and they'll look like new long after the bag has served it's useful life (actually 5 lives, I'd wager)..

If you insist on being right, sure, nothing is completely corrosion-proof and in a few hundred years some 316 exposed to the elements might show minor pitting; happy? But they won't have actual RUST like the current rings, which is the point, semantics-boy.

Easy to do, negligible sacrifice in strength and yes, a minor cost increase but not so much that most of us wouldn't be willing to pay it in a millisecond.

Great bags but my rings also rusted out. Wolfman, if you're listening there are many options for rings that won't corrode. This is the only blemish on an otherwise awesome series of products.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #129
wolfmanluggage OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post
What a bunch of irrelevant BS. They can make the rings out of stainless and they'll look like new long after the bag has served it's useful life (actually 5 lives, I'd wager)..

If you insist on being right, sure, nothing is completely corrosion-proof and in a few hundred years some 316 exposed to the elements might show minor pitting; happy? But they won't have actual RUST like the current rings, which is the point, semantics-boy.

Easy to do, negligible sacrifice in strength and yes, a minor cost increase but not so much that most of us wouldn't be willing to pay it in a millisecond.

Great bags but my rings also rusted out. Wolfman, if you're listening there are many options for rings that won't corrode. This is the only blemish on an otherwise awesome series of products.
Thanks for the input. We are looking for a source. We will keep you posted.
The new Saddlebag Straps do not touch the frame so no scratching of the Slide.
Anyway, good info.
Woof!
e
wolfmanluggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #130
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquafire View Post

Why are my comments from weeks ago 'irrelevant BS'? They were specific to stainless steel rings.
And the 'insist on being right' comment'? Geez dood, are your posts always so offensive? Or are you just inherently unhappy? As a fellow Canadian your demeanor is embarrassing.

SS d-rings would more than likely add about $25 to their materials cost - probably half that of the entire product. So yes, while some of you with product use in extreme conditions would benefit, the factory would have to increase their product prices considerably. In general, domestic manufacturers have a hard enough time making a product price competitive. In this specific case, it suits the needs of the majority of buyers and would-be buyers.

If it's such a big deal why don't you source your own d-rings and make new straps?
Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #131
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,068
Still waiting for you guys to make a set of racks for the 11XXGS so I can use my Expeditions and then upgrade to the big boys

Dan Alexander screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 05:32 PM
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #132
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanluggage View Post
Thanks for the input. We are looking for a source. We will keep you posted.
The new Saddlebag Straps do not touch the frame so no scratching of the Slide.
Anyway, good info.
Woof!
e
A manufacturer that cares. Responds without offense and is looking in to the issue. Awesome.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #133
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Still waiting for you guys to make a set of racks for the 11XXGS so I can use my Expeditions and then upgrade to the big boys
That's what I'm waiting for. Otherwise I gotta look at other options, which I hate to do. I want the Rocky Mtn. bags but need the racks to mount 'em........

just say'n

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #134
wolfmanluggage OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
That's what I'm waiting for. Otherwise I gotta look at other options, which I hate to do. I want the Rocky Mtn. bags but need the racks to mount 'em........

just say'n
With our new Saddlebag Strap, you can mount our three rack saddle bags:
The Monarch Pass, Expedition Dry Saddlebags, and the Rocky Mountain Saddelbags to virtually any Motorcycle side rack. Quick, extremely secure, easy.
The racks are up to you.

Woof,
e
wolfmanluggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #135
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Do you have a photo of the Rocky Mountain bags mounted to the Rally Raid UK luggage racks for the 690 Enduro? I just want to see how others might be setting them up.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote