ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
erappaport OP
pray for rain

Oddometer: 287
Clutch Not Working After Pushrod Replacement

Silver 03/04 950 Adventure, 26K

End-of-season service time here in Maine, and this year I decided it was finally time to replace the clutch pushrod seal. Everything came apart easily, and while the old hollow aluminum pushrod looked pristine, I went ahead and replaced it with the updated solid steel version since I was in there, and had the parts on hand.

Now that things are buttoned back up, however, I am experiencing serious clutch drag. Bike is very hard to roll around in gear with the clutch pulled in, and when running clearly is not getting enough disengagement to shift out of neutral. I didn't force it.

Here is what I've checked:

1. Cleaned out the oil jet, in place, with a .010" banjo string. Though judging by how well the clutch was working beforehand, and the amount came out of the clutch housing, there were no problems with oiling.

2. Pulled the clutch cover off to verify that I had replaced the clutch hub in the right orientation. Check.

3. Start and run the bike (in neutral) to circulate oil.

4. Verify that clutch slave is working properly. It is a low-mileage Evo. I can remove it and watch the piston travel when I squeeze the lever, and lever "feel" seems to be the same as before. And I can hear stuff working with the bike shut off.

Any thoughts? I could add a shim to the linkage, but my understanding is the the new pushrod is longer, not shorter. I'll also probably try bleeding the clutch hydraulics, but nothing I did should have introduced any air. Maybe I'll try going back to the old pushrod for a trial, before I reach for the bleeding gear.

Thanks either way! This seemed like a safe and simple job to add to my weekend. How many times have you heard that?
erappaport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Did you lose the steel ball between slave and pushrod?
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
erappaport OP
pray for rain

The bike was retrofitted with an Evo slave a few years ago, which has no steel ball as part of the setup. Maybe it was supposed to, (!) but had been working just fine without.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 434
Did you put the clutch back together correctly? There is some sort of key-like alignment that can affect clutch operation the way you describe if you don't line it up correctly. Sorry, but I can't remember the specifics.
J.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,018
My 04 had a 2 piece aluminum rod. Replaced with a steel one piece...and clutch wouldn't work properly. took it apart many times before realizing the older (03/04) bikes have a different length rod.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,014
I'd put the old pushrod in before I went much further.

Chuckracer screwed with this post 12-01-2014 at 05:11 PM
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
erappaport OP
pray for rain

Quote:
I'd put the old pushrod in before I went much further.
Yeah, I think that's probably my next move. I'm mostly just trying to sort out what thought I knew about this job from what I'm finding out.

My understanding was that the new clutch pushrod was interchangeable, and a recommended upgrade for the older LC8's. (Which was why I bought one in the first place.) But now I seem to find myself thinking if this would have been better left alone... There's an old saying about that kind of stuff, as I recall.

We'll see. Gotta go back to work for a few days first. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
Deadly99
Fast and Far

I wouldn't put the old one back in, remove the new one and measure both of them. If they are the same length use the new one

Your sure the slave doesn't have a small bearing (easy to lose when removing) that is now missing?

Old 12-02-2014, 04:13 AM   #9
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 619
I had the same problem with my silver '04. Found out I didn't seat the clutch plates correctly. It looked close but was out by just a bit. Reinstalled per the manual with the discs in the correct orientation and they meshed perfectly. A few mil was all it took.
I used the updated,steel shaft and a new Oberon slave.
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #10
Bowber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
There is an orientation (is that the right word?) in the manual for the plates and the last one has to be one notch out.
I'm not sure if it'll actually make any difference though as I think it's just so you can get a hook in to pull the plates out all at once.

Did you keep the stack in the same order and replace them back where they came from?
If not then it may be wear on your clutch basket not matching the wear on the plates and they are getting jammed together.

Steve
Bowber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:14 AM   #11
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,817
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
remove the new one and measure both of them. If they are the same length use the new one
If the new one is slightly shorter, you will need to add a very thin shim in there.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #12
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
If the new one is slightly shorter, you will need to add a very thin shim in there.
Cheers.
New one might be longer by about 3-5 mm, the extra length stops the clutch from fully engaging

Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,014
Quote:
I wouldn't put the old one back in, remove the new one and measure both of them. If they are the same length use the new one
I meant for troubleshooting purposes. Eliminate variables. Gotta work backwards to nail down the problem when several things have changed.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
NKL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
New one might be longer by about 3-5 mm, the extra length stops the clutch from fully engaging
Then he would be suffering the opposite of what he is.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
erappaport OP
pray for rain

Thank you, everyone. Gotta set this aside and hit the road for work until next week.

For now, I can confirm that I didn't lose the ball bearing, (not installed when I fitted the Evo unit several years ago) and should not have disrupted the clutch plates, as all I did was pull the hub.

The rest will be a mystery until I can get back into the shop, that'll give me time to track down a caliper that's long enough to measure the two pushrods. Maybe the difference will be obvious, but as I recall, the clearances are close here and it doesn't take much to affect things.

To be continued..