Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #136
Jean-Ma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS6 View Post
If you want to have Angel Eyes only mode, you will need to modify your light switch wiring (I think there are some threads on how to do this) or go with a euro spec switch. With the non-euro switch you get low/high beam and the Angel Eyes together.

Also, I fabricated a simple liner out of posterboard and black duct tape to fill the space between the stock dash and the Rade screen. Otherwise you get quite a bit of light shining up behind the dash.
I would be very interested in the light switch modification to have only the Angel Eyes on. Anyone has a wiring diagram and/or pictures ?

Also KMS6, would you post a picture of your liner you have installed between the dash and the screen ? Thanks again.

Cheers from Suisse. :)

Jean-Ma
Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #137
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Ma View Post
I would be very interested in the light switch modification to have only the Angel Eyes on. Anyone has a wiring diagram and/or pictures ?

Also KMS6, would you post a picture of your liner you have installed between the dash and the screen ? Thanks again.

Jean-Ma
Hi Jean-Ma,

Just get the KTM light switch. It has 3 positions (off - P - main+P) and is plug n play. Just split the wire to your P light and connect the angel eyes to that.

I used this switch to operate a pair of aux led lights, which took a bit more fiddling with the wiring, see this post http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=885

It may help you to see what the switch looks like, you can also find the part no somewhere through a link in that post
squadraquota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #138
Jean-Ma
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadraquota View Post
Hi Jean-Ma,

Just get the KTM light switch. It has 3 positions (off - P - main+P) and is plug n play. Just split the wire to your P light and connect the angel eyes to that.

I used this switch to operate a pair of aux led lights, which took a bit more fiddling with the wiring, see this post http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=885

It may help you to see what the switch looks like, you can also find the part no somewhere through a link in that post
Hi squadraquota (italian ?) ! Thanks for your comments. I will have a look at it and check as well for the KTM switch as I have bought recently only a two positions switch. Let you know.

Cheers and thanks again. Jean-Ma
Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #139
Jean-Ma
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Folks ! Can someone with a non Euro light switch (2 positions only as on my 2012 990) post pictures of how the beams light up on each position ? As I don't have the "parking" one, I would like to understand how the system is working.

Thanks again for any advice.

Jean-Ma

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #140
BMacW650

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Hi Folks ! Can someone with a non Euro light switch (2 positions only as on my 2012 990) post pictures of how the beams light up on each position ? As I don't have the "parking" one, I would like to understand how the system is working.

Thanks again for any advice.

Jean-Ma

For US model.

Ignition on : low beam on, parking light/halo on
High beam trigger pulled : low beam on, parking light on, high beam on
High beam switched on : low beam OFF, parking light on, high beam on.

You can add a kill switch to the low beam power to crudely stop the low beam during day time.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #141
KMS6
Mountains and Motorcycles

Oddometer: 91
Quote:

Jean-Ma

Not the greatest pic but I didn't have time to pull off the screen to show it better. I just used some thin posterboard material, cut it to the rough shape of the inside of screen, left a couple inches thickness and trimmed the opposite edge to the rough shape of the front edge of dash. Wrapped this with some black duct tape, wedged it between the dash and the headlight support plastic. Left some extra duct tape on the front edge so it would be flexible and mesh up against the screen. Not hi tech or anything but it does cut down most of the light between the dash and the screen. Hope it helps you out.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 AM   #142
Jean-Ma
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS6 View Post

Not the greatest pic but I didn't have time to pull off the screen to show it better. I just used some thin posterboard material, cut it to the rough shape of the inside of screen, left a couple inches thickness and trimmed the opposite edge to the rough shape of the front edge of dash. Wrapped this with some black duct tape, wedged it between the dash and the headlight support plastic. Left some extra duct tape on the front edge so it would be flexible and mesh up against the screen. Not hi tech or anything but it does cut down most of the light between the dash and the screen. Hope it helps you out.
Hi Mate,

Thanks for the picture and for your explanations. I will see what I can do when I get the screen bundle. I will post some picts as well.

Cheers from Swiss.

Jean-Ma
Old 04-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #143
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Just gave my bi-xenon/carbon windscreen assembly a 300 mile dirt and slab shakedown.

First, let me start by saying Rade's pricing is very reasonable. The comparable Touratech assembly is over $1k I believe. The installation was easy. He's not kidding when he says plug n play. The aesthetics, although I'd like to say I don't care about, are in fact awesome. This is the closest my bike will ever look like a Dakar rally bike.

The fit and finish is very good especially considering Rade is hand making these to order. He must be using very high end machinery to get these results. Although there were no woops, we hit graded dirt, sand, and some technical rock fields and there wasn't a rattle or anything to indicate poor quality. My helmet never made contact with the screen and I suspect that's due to its forward position (compared to stock).

Once we hit slab, I immediately noticed the improved wind protection. I have experience with the stock screen and the moose shorty screen and this blows them both outta the water. We rode up to 85 mph and the buffeting was greatly improved. Unfortunately there was a helluva crosswind, too, and of course this screen can't help with that.

I can't comment on the light quality yet. I simply haven't ridden or tested them at night yet. I do ride during the day with both beams illuminated and my riding buddies said I'm much more visible than the 990's with stock headlights.

I HIGHLY recommend this setup. I have three friends with 990’s and I've told them all they'd be dumb not to buy this setup. It solves a few issues with ONE purchase.

Nice work Rade!
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #144
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I don't know if what I did would help somebody else or not, but I am still running one of Rade's pre-production screens. I had this light-bleeding problem and solved it with window foam tape/insulation/weatherstrip. This stuff comes in multiple different thicknesses. I just got a couple of different sizes and cut pieces to fill the hole and stuck them to the windscreen to fill the gap and block the light. It is flexible/bendable and when you install the screen, you can compress it against the headlight housing.

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P...m+weatherstrip

I had tried just using duck tape, but the wind blast through the hole would just push the tape away and it would never stick for very long. You need something strong enough to not get blown away/out. Pinch whatever you use between the screen and the headlight housing to hold it in place.

Quote:

Jean-Ma
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #145
Jean-Ma
Gnarly Adventurer

@Grant : very encouraging report you made, thanks ! I'm looking forward to receiving my set very soon I hope !

@75Monza : I'm thinking also to use foam tape. Let's see how Rade improved his system on the current series. In case of need, I'm sure that we can solve this light bleeding pretty easily.

Cheers. JM
Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #146
GJ990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I used the weather strips (foam) for a while but it came loose after a 1000 miles or so. Not big deal but since the light doesn't bother me I've not re-applied it. I still think I sense less buffeting without the gap being blocked. Does this make sense? Maybe the increased airflow behind the screen makes the airflow cleaner? I have no idea.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #147
Jean-Ma
Gnarly Adventurer

Already posted, but can someone post nice pictures of the lights ON in various modes ? I'd like to figure out how the effects look like with angel eyes on. Thanks again !