ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #61
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rade View Post
Why not :-)
Sorry guys, by writing "why not", I meant - it is possible to do pure fieberglass version... :-)
rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #62
rade OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Hey Rade,

Is is possible to make a black fiberglass version of the Rally dual light Screen... Where the screen section is not part of the mold. And the base section has a mounting edge where stock poly bicarbonate screens can be cut to mate to you assembly and screw mounted from the cockpit side.

That way those happy with clear stock or Moose -2.5 screens can adapt them to your headlight assembly.

Sure, Why not;)!!!

Count me in!!!
Hmm, I feel more like "screen enthusiast", rather than "headlights expert". So doing just spot-lights for original screens I let do the others...

I want offer the screens or screen and headlights kit...:-)
rade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #63
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Hey Rade,

Is is possible to make a black fiberglass version of the Rally dual light Screen... Where the screen section is not part of the mold. And the base section has a mounting edge where stock poly bicarbonate screens can be cut to mate to you assembly and screw mounted from the cockpit side.

That way those happy with clear stock or Moose -2.5 screens can adapt them to your headlight assembly.

Sure, Why not;)!!!

Count me in!!!
Someone already does a kit like that.
http://forum.lc8.info/viewtopic.php?...er=asc&start=0
You can buy any part you want (insert piece / bracket / lights). For me in the US it was cheaper to buy the hella lights locally and just buy the insert piece / bracket (parts he makes) from Steffen.

If you go through the link above, you will see many (including myself) have taken his kit and glass it into a variety of different windscreen, that way you can use a perspex screen and have a nice finished back to it.
Steffen will do this for you if it's a job you don't want to tackle but want to integrate the twin light insert into the screen.

More are here.
http://sheepshagger.smugmug.com/Moto...7925&k=D4JDzCr
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #64
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
Looks good. Nice way to maintain the stock screen
How does it mount up without the oem headlight body?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #65
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post

I really like the back of your screen. Lots of people don't care about how the back looks but once you're riding that's the side you're gonna be watching...

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #66
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Looks good. Nice way to maintain the stock screen
How does it mount up without the oem headlight body?
It mounts identically to the OEM light. (look at the first pic in my post) The whole unit (mount / lights / insert ) is one. You just pull out the OEM light and use the exact same 4 screws to mount the new unit. So the fiber glass twin light insert piece, stays with the lights when you remove the stock screen.

If you want to join the twin light insert to a different screen, then the mounting changes.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #67
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I really like the back of your screen. Lots of people don't care about how the back looks but once you're riding that's the side you're gonna be watching...
Thanks, that's exactly why the only option (I found) for me was to make my own. Looking at the nasty unfinished back side of most of the aftermarket screens would just annoy me to no end. So I knew I wanted perspex / rally lip & twin light, only option was to modify the OEM screen.
The bit you don't see, where I glassed the twin light insert in, is ugly as hell though...:)
This is my crap fiber glass work BTW. Steffen the guy who makes them does great work, it's just hidden under my mess.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #68
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
The bit you don't see, where I glassed the twin light insert in, is ugly as hell though...:)
Like you said, you can't see that part. End result looks great!!

I like how you added the lip to the OEM screen (shown in your smugmug link).

If you don't mind me asking, what was your final cost (for the 2 Hella's, sourced in US) and the mounting system (from DE)? Everything else was reusing OEM + labor it seems.

Also, is there any kind of effective rock protection for the Hella's ?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #69
BMacW650

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

If you don't mind me asking, what was your final cost (for the 2 Hella's, sourced in US) and the mounting system (from DE)? Everything else was reusing OEM + labor it seems.

You can find hella OEM lights from http://www.rallylights.com/. I already tried the Bi-Xeon/Halogen/LED, they are too big for this application on the ADV. So you have to go High and Low on two separate lamps. They are not that expensive but hella's optics is far superior to other brand. It's also ideal for HID conversion application.

On my project, I decided to use 90mm low beam even though the 60mm projector actually has better beam pattern and light quality. But I like twin 90mm look better. The 60mm high beam is a projector instead of the 90mm's reflector high beam. It's just too big to fit inside. So instead of twin 60 I opt to go twin 90.

Have a look at lynx fairing, they sell those thick lens protectors on the 90mm high/low.
http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...roducts/lynx16

BMacW650 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 11:06 AM
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #70
BMacW650

Oddometer: 744
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054226.html

Here is a link on a project that experimented with many versions of Hella's light.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #71
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Where can I get that kit minus the lights here in the US? I clicked on the link but it was all in Deutsch and I nein sprechen sie deutsch. I'd want the kit with the orange insert for the windscreen.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #72
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

90mm Hella's in US were $70 each.
Price of parts from Steffen.
cover black 80,-€
headlight bracket 50,-€
shipping 35,-€

Part# for the lights are 1K0 008.191-001 & 1BL 008.193-001.
Price from Europe was 160,-€ for the lights, so $140 was cheaper

I used standox paint (OEM manufacturer and about THE most expensive option) $50 for minimum quantity. (Probably enough to do the whole bike).

Steffen has some rattle can part# that he uses that are a LOT cheaper, but I couldn't source them in the US, and only found out after I had bought & shipped the parts.
I had to plastic weld my tank a few months back, and that needed some OEM paint. So paint is/can be a lot cheaper.

Other materials, Primer, Clear, wet n dry.
I used a plastic welder for the lip. (Cut out a section of the screen, bent it down, welded it in place). I wanted to keep the OEM edge on the screen, that's why I did it that way, but there are other options.

Friend made the decals for me, but I've seen them in one color on ebay for $10.

That's about it I think. That and my time. OH, some wire and a $5 plug from radioshack as I didn't want to cut up the OEM headlight harness.

If you use OEM paint, don't under estimate the cost of clear and primer, I couldn't afford Standox ($400), but still in it for $100 with cheaper quality alternatives.

-- EDIT --

I forgot, there is a an effective rock protection, Steffen makes perspex covers for the lights. If you just look at the pic's in the link to the german forum I posted, you will see them in there.

Sheep Shagger screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 12:20 PM
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #73
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Where can I get that kit minus the lights here in the US? I clicked on the link but it was all in Deutsch and I nein sprechen sie deutsch. I'd want the kit with the orange insert for the windscreen.
You PM the guy on that forum. (Uee google to translate). I have his email and will PM it to you, I don't want to post it on a public forum.
Steffen (guy who makes the kit), speaks / writes perfect english, so don't worry about translating anything in an email.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #74
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
You PM the guy on that forum. (Uee google to translate). I have his email and will PM it to you, I don't want to post it on a public forum.
Steffen (guy who makes the kit), speaks / writes perfect english, so don't worry about translating anything in an email.

thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #75
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Can you send me the email address as well. Im after the mounting is all. Screen I'll do myself as Im using a combination of HID/LED