Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
Vinduroman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I'm glad you all enjoyed it. Like I said, a ride report is a lot of work... more so than one first realizes. It sure makes it worthwhile to read of others enjoying it, too.

FOLLOW UP n' THIS n' THAT:

FWIW: Here in the eastern Oklahoma/western Arkansas region where I live, the elevations range from about 400' to near 3000' above sea level. Riding in my region, my fuel injected WR250R will get about 65 MPG doing the equivelent terrain/road conditions as we did in Colorado. Honey Buns' carburated CRF230L will get about 70-75 MPG. While out in Colorado, my WR got over 80 MPG, no doubt a result of the EFI compensating for the lack of oxygen. The wife's CRF did about like it does here.

Both bikes were down on power compared to our elevations here, but still (as can be evidenced by the pics) plenty useable out in the much higher elevations of Colorado. My WR250R felt about like a 175cc while out in Colorado. The gearing on my WR is 13/47 (stock is 13/43) and the wife's is stock.

Both bikes performed flawlessly with zero mechanical issues. I am liking my WR250R more and more as the miles stack up.

Our riding apparel is not "typical" of most ADV-type riders. I have long been a proponent of "layers" and lightweight, "modular" clothing. I like riding apparel that can go with the flow.

Both the wife and I used MSR "Pak Jaks". In colder/cooler weather, these go over a heavier riding jersey (i.e. non-ventilated) and a sweat shirt. If it warms up too much for the extra layer, the sweat shirt comes off and gets rubber-banded to the crossbar, ready to be reused later. If it REALLY warms up (and it did on our Phantom Canyon day), the Pak Jak comes off, gets folded into its pouch, and goes around the waist with using its own integral lightweight belt, we then go with our riding jerseys. The MSR Pak Jaks we use are water and windproof.

I wear Tourmaster pants. The wife wears Fly brand. Both brands are water and wind proof. If we anticipate lower temps, we use "Under Armour" tights. The Under Armour can stay on as it warms up, for it also acts as a wicking medium and helps cool. Works great.

We also use balaclava's on our faces when in the lower temp ranges, me a simple bandana, the wife an actual balaclava. On these rides during an "iffy" day (think the Marshall Pass day) we packed three pairs of gloves: Heavier for cold temps, lighter for cool/moderate/warm temps, and neoprene gloves for wet conditions.

The above apparel/gear system has kept us adaptive and comfy in temps in the upper 20's up to the upper 80's. (That's temp ranges we rode in Colorado.)

I prefer a fanny pack to anything packed on the bike in panniers/etc. I'm a trail rider/dual sport rider at heart, and I have ALWAYS believed in packing as light as possible, including keeping the bike as simple/unladen as possible. I know that I will never intentionally camp off the bike, just not my style. At the end of the day, my/our outings always include a return to the truck, a motel, or cabin, etc. My moto is: "If it can't fit in the fanny pack... I don't need it."

The wife also rides with a fanny pack. I carry the tools, to help keep hers as light as possible, as well as give her more room in hers for "girlie" things. (Hair brush, touch-up make-up, etc.) I always have resealable "baggies" in my fanny pack in case of rain. Into these goes the cell phones, camera, billfold, etc, etc.

I also packed along two small containers of fuel Yamaha "Additive" for the times we could only find Ethynol fuel. Each container can spike 5 gals of fuel.

Welp... that about does it. All I can think of for now.

Looking foward to this year's Colorado excursion!

V-man
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #32
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 695
Cool report, Vinduroman. It's pretty hard to beat a ds bike/old railroad stuff combination. Woodzrider, from a few posts back, took me up to the Alpine Tunnel a few years ago and I too was amazed. Thanks for telling me about some old lines that I haven't got to yet. They're on my short list now.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #33
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Sharing

You did a great job of sharing your vacation with us. Through your pictures and great dialog of what was in the picture. It is a truly awesome place to be, I am planning of treking through the mountains again this year. Once you have been there it is just about impossible to keep away from the beauty of those mountains.

Thanks for sharing it all with us.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #34
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Thanks again for the awesome report, as it is a lot of work! I'm looking forward to your next one!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #35
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,066
Really nice RR VIN. We met and rode together at the AHMRA race at the Zink Ranch. I was in charge of the sweep crew. We were also parked next to each other. I was on my KTM 525. A couple of years back me and a buddy did the phantom canyon/ shelf road loop. We had the same experience with the traffic near Co Springs. No traffic at all and then suddenly there was lots of cars and trucks, most of them in our lane! I wanted to turn around and follow them just to see where the hell they were going. I really liked your alpine tunnel pics. I haven't been there in about 10 years.

It is nice that you and your wife ride together. My wife has no interest in dirt and bumps, but I have gotten her to ride on street (on the back) with me in the last few years. For The first thirty years of our marriage riding was something i did without her. But our last 3 vacations have been on the goldwing. It is nice to get away sometimes, but it is also nice to share something you love with someONE you love.

HAPPY TRAILS.......Ken
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
Vinduroman OP
Studly Adventurer

So glad you'all have enjoyed it!

Rufus aka Ken:

Sure I remember you! You went like stink on that big KTM. Had a great time at JZ this past year. The TTR's did another bang-up job hosting the ISDT Reunion Ride. Don't think I'm going to make it to Dalton, MA for this year's ISDTRR. Just too far and too expensive.

As for wives and riding: Honey Buns also enjoys it when we ride our Ultra on a tour. In 2011 we toured Colorado aboard our Ultra. That too, was epic in its own way. I've learned I enjoy almost all forms of riding... touring is just another way to enjoy two wheels!

Below is a pic of Honey Buns enjoying the day while stopped at Ridgway, CO in June of 2011. It was 19 degrees that morning when we left Silverton! We're on our way up to ride around the Black Canyon, then over to Aspen and do Independence Pass, end up at Leadville, CO for the night, then reverse course with a few optionals thrown in for good measure. Dual sport, trail riding, cruising, touring... whatever... I just love to ride.

V-man
Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #37
mrdirtbikerider
Husaberg rider

Oddometer: 267
Great ride report. I loved it ! Very nice pics too. I will have to add Colorado to my ride list.
Thanks for the ride report.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #38
ken williams
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
great

thanks for your wonderful trip. I have been riding since age 15. First bike a harley 45 1941-$75, I am 76. Getting ready for a summer of riding from Florida to Alaska. I was in Colorado last summer as well. Just got back from Texas. Presently here in St. Pete Fl 80degrees. Nice ride today. You probably stated how many cc are your dirt bikes. Imagine 400 or less. which is plenty. happy motoring cheers ken
ken williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #39
Vinduroman OP
Studly Adventurer

mrdirtbiker: You'll love Colorado. No way to exhaust its offerings.

Ken:

76 years young, eh? Still riding the wheels off of 'em, too? I salute you! You truly are a living example of the saying "You don't quit riding when you get old... you get old when you quit riding."

I have an off-road riding friend that was still FAST and COMPETITIVE in his mid-70's. It was SOOOO fun to see him spank the younger hot shoes on a grass track or tight woods section!!!

As for the size of our bikes: Mine is a 250cc and Honey Buns is a 230cc.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing in this thread!

V-man
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #40
RiddenHard
old not dead

Oddometer: 46
Enjoyed the RR as your routes crossed many of the areas i have ridden. You were able to spend a little more time and cover some of the areas i only touched upon, so i was able to see some things i only got to the edge of. This all helped me fill in and plan for my next trip......so much to cover so little time
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #41
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Hey, Vin. That's a great report.My wife and I will be doing the Phanton Canyon Road to Victor this summer on my KTM 950. Good to see what it looks like. We've done Alpine Tunnel on my KLR. It's a little rough 2-up , but beautiful. The Crested Butte area if fantastic, too. Thanks.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #42
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
Great ride report... love the mix of outstanding scenery and history!
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #43
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Thanks for the ride report. You did a great job on it. I'll have to tell our buddy Darel about it. He may see it anyway. I know he looks at this site. Thanks again, i know from personal experience how much work is involved in it.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #44
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Hey, Vin. That's a great report.My wife and I will be doing the Phanton Canyon Road to Victor this summer on my KTM 950. Good to see what it looks like. We've done Alpine Tunnel on my KLR. It's a little rough 2-up , but beautiful. The Crested Butte area if fantastic, too. Thanks.
That is just a small taste of what Phantom Canyon road has to offer. I have been up and down it a dozen times and see more everytime. It is a great ride to say the least. It is just impossible to take pictures that show all it has to offer to the eye.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #45
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Thanks for sharing

your trip. It is fantastic that your wife likes riding with you. That makes a for a special experience.

You did a great job with the trip report and pics are excellent.

I have a WRR also and did a 2600 mile adventure last July with my brother. The WRR did great even with camping gear strapped on. We grew up in Okla and also just love Colorado. Our trip started in Westcliff, Colorado and we did a big loop up into Montana and then back to Westcliff. Marshall Pass was our first day. Fantastic trip! Ride report on ADV is named "Hopscotch and Jack Danials Too" if you want to have a read.

I have to get back to Colorado and ride some of your routes. Also I am thinking of doing a week of off pavement this spring up in Arkansas. If you have any recommended tracks I would love to have them.
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote