User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
monkeyfez OP
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,009
Suspensions by Sasquatch and my Vstrom

I have an 03 DL1000 with 40 thousand + miles on it. The suspension was hammered. The springs were crap in the front and the rear (stock shock) was just about useless under my oh so tiny self. One of the fork seals was weeping and the ride wasn’t getting better. A fix was in order, but what to do? Well I knew that I wanted sonic springs in the front with heavier fork oil. Obviously replace the seals too while at it. But the rear…..what the hell do I do about the rear shock? I could probably, maybe, spend the $$ on a new wilburs or a stock replacement but those are stupidly expensive at around a grand. That would mean I would have to forgo a lot of riding this year to cover the money spent there.

I did some searching on the interwebs and came across Suspensions by Sasquatch. http://www.sasquatchrider.com/ I read good things about him and he’s an inmate here so that was a mark in his favor. I sent Sasquatch an email asking if he worked on Vstroms. I got a prompt reply stating that yes he did.

Quote:
No problem. I can just do a rebuild, rebuild and revalve, or rebuild, stiffer spring and valving. Prices are $250, 350 and 450.

On all options I need to machine the shock body to be rebuildable, thus the price. But in the future it can be rebuilt by any reputable shop with my mods.

Wait what? $450 for a rebuild/revalve/new spring!?! Less than half the price of a replacement stocker!? YEP. Whooo boy was I all over that. We discussed options and I told him what my front fork setup was going to be and Sasquatch said would set up the rear to work with it.

Somewhere along the email talk I asked for guidance in my doing the front. I got a great set of helpful tips to make the process easier and he also mentioned that he could do it at the same time for $75. That seemed cheap as could be to me. My local shop had quoted me $300 just to install the new fork seals (plus parts). It was tax season and I work 7 days a week from March ‘til April 15th so I totally took him up on the offer.

Parts get boxed up and shipped. Time passes. Parts come back. I mounted it all back up. While doing it I took the opportunity to put on some fork gaiters (my driveway is ½ mile of gravel) and a fork brace. Come Saturday morning I go over everything again to make sure I’ve torqued it all back to spec and hit the road.

OH MY GOD!

This bike is completely different. The handling incredible. It eats potholes and laughs. The rear is planted and there’s no more wallowing. The front tracks sooo beautifully. Here’s a part of the email I sent to Sasquatch after the first ride on the new suspension.

Quote:
I just did 200 miles. I mean it when I say this. I love you man.

Seriously dude.....love.

SO if you’re looking to replace or upgrade the shock on your Vstrom I cannot recommend enough Suspensions by Sasquatch. The work is outstanding the results are fantastic and Sasquatch couldn’t be any easier to work with. Huge thumbs up from me.

Notes:
A)I took a ton of pictures of this whole process and promptly nuked them on my wife’s camera. Yes I’m an idiot.
B)I have no connection with Suspensions by Sasquatch other than being a happy customer.

monkeyfez screwed with this post 06-11-2009 at 08:27 AM Reason: speling counts
monkeyfez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Glad your happy with it.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Drowsy Dave
Square Peg, No Hole

Oddometer: 1,284
I love happy endings.
Drowsy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,524
Thanks for the write up.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #5
supercub
ass-less chaps rule!

Oddometer: 777
Sasquatch is the MASTER. he rebuilt my tiger's rear and holy crap - what a difference. your the best jay
supercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Sasquatch
Have you ever shipped to Canada? Or would be better to have you ship it to my friends in Buffalo?
I'm about 230lbs and ride mainly road but be maybe 20% gravel fire roads.
Thanks,
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acormier7
Sasquatch
Have you ever shipped to Canada? Or would be better to have you ship it to my friends in Buffalo?
I'm about 230lbs and ride mainly road but be maybe 20% gravel fire roads.
Thanks,
Canada is a pain in the rear. I think I spend more time filling out paperwork than building the shock. But yes, I can ship to Canada. I will not accept UPS or Fed-x shipments from Canada unless the sender pays all import duties. I got nailed with a $50 bill last time a customer shipped a shock via UPS. I was thankful that when I emailed the customer and sent him proof of the charge he quickly paid for it (My customers are the best! ), but it was a hassle.

So, make sure you send it via postal service, but it is not that big of a deal.

I can take care of your strom shock to fit you well.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Canada is a pain in the rear. I think I spend more time filling out paperwork than building the shock. But yes, I can ship to Canada. I will not accept UPS or Fed-x shipments from Canada unless the sender pays all import duties. I got nailed with a $50 bill last time a customer shipped a shock via UPS. I was thankful that when I emailed the customer and sent him proof of the charge he quickly paid for it (My customers are the best! ), but it was a hassle.

So, make sure you send it via postal service, but it is not that big of a deal.

I can take care of your strom shock to fit you well.
When I send it to you I'll ship it from my friends in Buffalo but not till the riding season is over, like mid Nov. and I'll have you ship it back to Buffalo.
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Sasquatch will this work the the same for the Wee Strom??

It has been suggested that this write up be included in the Wee Strom Thread Index, but this write up is for the Vee, not the Wee

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
Sasquatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
Sasquatch will this work the the same for the Wee Strom??

It has been suggested that this write up be included in the Wee Strom Thread Index, but this write up is for the Vee, not the Wee
Yes! I can do the same magic with Wee shocks and forks. The Wee shock is a tad shorter (5mm if my foggy, not enough coffee yet brain remembers correctly), and does not have the floating piston like the Vee, but other than that, it is the same.

Now there is a difference in forks. The V has a cartridge fork where the Wee has the old dampening rod style that benefits well from RaceTech emulators.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 766
Sasquatch,

I just PM'd you but could you rebuild the shock on my 95 KLX650C? The rebound damping si almost non existent but I am not interested in spending a lot of money on a new shock. I have attached a photo of my KLX650C during a recent ride to Brown Mountain, NC.

Thanks
Jon

Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
monkeyfez OP
Enabler....

Oddometer: 5,009
UPDATE:

I have about 1800 miles on this suspension now -been busy at work. As much as I liked the bike before (and that was a lot) I now flat out love this thing. It has made a dramatic change in the way the bike handles both the curves and gravel. She is planted now and very predictable. I'm very impressed.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
Sasquatch,

I just PM'd you but could you rebuild the shock on my 95 KLX650C? The rebound damping si almost non existent but I am not interested in spending a lot of money on a new shock. I have attached a photo of my KLX650C during a recent ride to Brown Mountain, NC.

Thanks
Jon

Something you might consider is to buy a DRZ400 shock off ebay. It will bolt on if you remove your tool kit and grind the bracket off. See if he can revalve and spring for the weight of the KLX. I have rnine with just a spring upgrade and that alone will improve the ride.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 766
KLX 650C Rear Shock Options

My 95 KLX 650C rear shock finally spit out its guts after my last ride at Brown Mountain, NC. After doing some research, I sent my shock off to Jay at Suspension by Sasquatch only to hear from Jay a week later that my shock was not rebuildable. Jay was a sport as he shipped my shock back to me without charging me a thing. I will definitely give him my business when I mod my V-Strom 1K shock down the road.

I looked around ebay for a DRZ400 rear shock as suggested by others since it would bolt on to the KLX650C with minimal mod, but will require stiffer springs, but the units I saw on ebay looked pretty rough and I would still have to upgrade with a stiffer spring as suggested by itsatdm. I also checked out Wilber, Works and White Bros but did not want to spend over $600.00.

I finally found a web site selling YSS Shocks http://www.yssusa.com/

I read some good reviews and sent an inquiry to Klaus at YSS. Klaus responded promptly and was very knowledgeable. Klaus gave me a quote of $389.00 plus $25.00 shipping for a new shock with adjustable rebound damping and spring customized for my weight and riding style.

I have taken the liberty of copying and pasting my email inquiry to Klaus along with Klaus response concerning the performance of YSS Shocks.
Thank you for your interest in our products.

For the KLX 650 from '95 I can offer you the YSS shock
Model MZ 366-400 TR at $ 389.00
Emulsion shock with adjustable rebound damping and pre-load via the enclosed C-spanner.

The shock will be similar to the picture, except that yours will have the big clevis mount

The shock has a 2 year warranty and is fully rebuildable
Delivery 3-4 weeks
S&H within the US $ 25.00

Please call us with your order at 732-786-9777

Regards
Klaus Huenecke

Klaus,
>
> Thanks for your prompt response. I placed the order today after
> talking to you. Is this a good performance shock for dual sport type
> of riding with frequent aggressive off road riding? How does this
> shock compared as to Wilbers, Ohlins or White Bros shocks?
>
> Thanks.
> Jon

Jon,

It is way better than the purchase price suggests. Wilbers Oehlins etc, would be double the price.
If it is not performing good, I take it back with full refund.
Regards
Klaus Huenecke

The price is much cheaper than Wilbers as Wilbers wanted $569.00 plus shipping. Works was over $600.00. I am sure it would have been cheaper to go the DRZ400 shock route but I did not trust the condition of the used shocks off ebay.

Anyone else have any experience with YSS shocks?

Jon

Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,488
Question Bump

I clicked on Sasquatch's website and it came up with some Go Daddy crap. Is he still available for shock service?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote