Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #31
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
Thanks for the continued advice. I'm taking my time on this one. Local BMW shop had a 2009 F800GS for sale...30,000 miles for $9.6K. But when I showed up to test ride on Saturday they had pulled it after they discovered the forks were leaking oil. Not sure if that was a sign or not. Won't be fixed until Tuesday.
Brace yourself for the maintenance interval fees. Only if it was my life long dream to own a BMW bike would I purchase one. There are many other better offerings out there with a lot less mileage on the odometer. I would guess that bike has had a hard life. Would definitely ride it first and go through all the gears before I would pull the trigger on it.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #32
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Why oh why would you even consider a bike with 30, 000 when you can get an almost new tiger 800??? Insert finger in light socket to see if "its a sign"?.

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #33
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgrn View Post
Brace yourself for the maintenance interval fees. Only if it was my life long dream to own a BMW bike would I purchase one. There are many other better offerings out there with a lot less mileage on the odometer. I would guess that bike has had a hard life. Would definitely ride it first and go through all the gears before I would pull the trigger on it.
Ya, I wondered about that. They told me the bike needed new seals every couple of years...which surprised me as my seals (non-beemer) are still stock, 7 years on. I'm not a big fan of frequent maintenance schedules and waving bye to my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Why oh why would you even consider a bike with 30, 000 when you can get an almost new tiger 800??? Insert finger in light socket to see if "its a sign"?.

Vivo
No intention to buy, every intention to try. Doesn't hurt to compare to see the competition, especially as many say the XC and 800GS are very similar. Once I confirm what I like, then look for the right price and hopefully low mileage.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #34
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves View Post
Ya, I wondered about that. They told me the bike needed new seals every couple of years...which surprised me as my seals (non-beemer) are still stock, 7 years on. I'm not a big fan of frequent maintenance schedules and waving bye to my money.

No intention to buy, every intention to try. Doesn't hurt to compare to see the competition, especially as many say the XC and 800GS are very similar. Once I confirm what I like, then look for the right price and hopefully low mileage.
My Dakar's fork seals needed replacing after about 15,000 km and the bike led an easy life. Found out on the F650GS forum that this is quite common and folks who switched to seals made by Honda had much better results.

I think the F800GS's ergonomics and attitude are much more on the dirt bike side of the spectrum, the XC feels more like a road bike.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #35
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
I was pretty much in the same position a few months ago ($10k - need a new bike) - and I just decided to buy a brand new DL650 Adventure. There is nothing like "Brand New". People say it has no soul, but I don't really care about that. It is quick enough, comfortable, silent, dead reliable (from all accounts), and it should serve me well for many years to come.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #36
Heloflyboy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I recently bought a 2008 tiger 1050 and love it. I rode the KTM and figured I would never do more then fire roads on it so why spend the money. The KTM was not as smooth or comfortable on the road as the Tiger. This is my second tiger, the other model was a 1998 tiger I got 51k miles out of that one before selling it. I also looked at the Vstrom 1000. Suzuki have great deals on financing right now, but my last tiger was good to me.

Good Luck on what ever you choose.
Heloflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
makinwaves OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloflyboy View Post
I recently bought a 2008 tiger 1050 and love it. I rode the KTM and figured I would never do more then fire roads on it so why spend the money. The KTM was not as smooth or comfortable on the road as the Tiger. This is my second tiger, the other model was a 1998 tiger I got 51k miles out of that one before selling it. I also looked at the Vstrom 1000. Suzuki have great deals on financing right now, but my last tiger was good to me.

Good Luck on what ever you choose.
Thanks Helo. And welcome to the forum!
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgrn View Post
makinwaves

Instead of buying someone's beat to hell KTM, buy a new V-strom 650 and spend the remaining $2K farkling with items that should have been on the bike to begin with. I have never seen or heard of a Tiger 800 XC under $10K used or new. In my area new they are near $14K OTD over $15K. You'd blown your margin by 50% and no farkles. Never seen a new Tenere for under $12K which is a nice offering, but at that point would have sprung for the 800XC and had something really exciting. Of course IMHO
Re Tiger 800XC - in December, I bought a 2012 800 XC with Triumph heated grips, fog lights and a LV carbon can (about $1000 for all) with 345 miles for $10,250. Bike is as new. Deals are out there - this one happened to be at my local dealer - all the better.

There are a lot of great bikes out there - it's great that we have so many choices. I've been riding a Multistrada for the past 6 yrs -- character is important to me. The Triumph tripple has a lot of character. I cannot seem to get at all excited about a V-storm. I'll take a used KTM (or something else that stirs the soul) before I would ever ride a new, but boring bike. Just my opinion.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,371
A used low mileage R1200R or the same in a Multistrada, they show up here all the time.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,238
Tiger 800!!!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #41
camodog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Buy a new wee strom for $8k and zero percent for 60 months. Then have $2k for extras
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,108
Today....I think I'd consider swapping my FJR for a new one but more likely would buy a used F650 an a old Goldwing since I like my current FJR so much.
Or I could dump the cash into my R90s for a complete restore?

I've have considered buying another airhead, a single shock and putting the R90 motor in the chassis and do a custom makeover.

Also would like to find a KZ1300 to toy with or a Z3 coupe.

Frankly I don't know what I'd do, might just keep it in the bank.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #43
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey V View Post
Don't drink the BMW Kool-Aid. For some unfathomable reason the Japanese can design and build shaft-drive bikes that are truly maintenance-free but BMW can not.
Interestingly enough, I read the other day that Porsche helped Yamaha design their first shaft drive.

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_XS750
Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #44
bokad
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Tiger 800xc. It has looks, price, performance, and reliability. Great bike.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #45
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey V View Post
I wouldn't lend much credence to anything on that site.
http://www.classicbikersclub.com/art...2/yamaha-xj900