Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #46
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Tiger 800xc. It has looks, price, performance, and reliability. Great bike.
How can you make that reliability assessment? The bike hasn't been out long enough. Triumph has historically been second tier to Japanese bikes in that aspect. British bikes and automobiles have never been synonymous with reliability, but I guess a fan boy can look past that.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I'd rather have a KTM 950 Super Enduro, but then I like bikes with good suspension
and lots of power. I also like bikes with chain drive so I don't ever need to deal
with a catastrophic final drive failure. Instead I just buy new a chain and sprockets
and keep riding. If you like to ride in a sporty manner and not just cruise, you owe it to
yourself to try a KTM with an LC8 engine. It is one of the greatest motorcycle engines
ever made, and it is remarkable for its light weight, its power characteristics, and its
compactness, all of which make bikes with the LC8 huge fun to ride.

I test rode a BMW 1200 GS and it was the most disappointing bike I have ever ridden. It's
quite heavy ( I believe the BMW claim for weight is inaccurate and that scales will verify this )
the suspension felt like a Buick, the brakes were over-assisted, the switchgear layout was
crazy and illogical, and it just felt ponderous. I think the people who own these
things are victims of mass hypnosis or maybe it is a situation similar to the old tale
of "The Emperor's New Clothes" where many people agree about something that is
not even true because they want to be part of the "in crowd".

The BMW is a heavy road bike which pretends to have off road capabilities but
pretend IS the correct word. It's no more suited to any real off road riding than
a Cadillac Escalade is to racing the Dakar Rally. Again, it is a road bike
with styling which pretends it can go off road. As long as you are comfortable
with that reality it might be a great bike for you. But I prefer never to ride one
of the piggish things again. By the way, back in the day I owned a BMW R90S
and rode it many miles, so I do have some experience with BMW. I had to laugh
when I shifted the 1200 GS and its transmission clunked nearly as badly as the
transmission in my R90S, which was built over three decades earlier. WTF, BMW,
why can't you build a transmission that doesn't feel like a Gravely mower blade
drive selector ?
My experience was so different.

I rode my 950SE of 4+ years to a demo day at the euro-bike dealer in Charlotte, and demoed an R1200GS. I have never been so immediately comfortable on a bike. It wasn't ponderous, or sluggish, or clunky. I was completely adjusted to it before I shifted to third gear the first time. Good, useful power; good, nimble yet stable handling; very comfortable.

I think the difference between our experiences shows me how test rides are really limited in their usefulness. If you can't spend enough time with the bike to set it up for yourself, you can't even make an educated guess about how well it will work for you. Sag, handlebar angle, control positions, throttle free play, etc. Also, the GS I rode had 10,000 miles on it. I suspect that the previous owner must have been close to my size, and had the suspension and ergos sorted for himself, so the setup of that bike must have been really close to meeting my tastes. On the same demo day, I rode a 1200 Multistrada, and it handled like a bus, which is totally wrong. The rear shock must have been set up for a 150-pounder.

Several weeks later, I demoed a Super Tenere. I didn't get on with it as quickly as with the GS, but the longer I rode it, the more I liked it. I would buy a Super Ten if I could. It only had 25 miles on it when I threw a leg over, and wasn't set up for me at all, which probably explained some of the adjustment time, but I could tell that I would enjoy that bike; and would buy it over the GS for lots of reasons.

I do agree with your opinion on the GS in that it is a street bike. It's a sport-touring bike that fits tall people, as are most of the big trailies.

Before getting any further off-track, to the OP: the Super Tenere is proving to be pretty much bullet-proof, and they are reaching your price range on the used market. One listed on the FM within the last two weeks at $9500.00. The Wee-Strom can do the job, but I've ridden them, and find them a little too un-interesting; although completely competent and even confidence-inspiring.

The KTM LC8's are solid, reliable bikes as long as you deal with the issues, which are well-known and manageable; but unless you need the off-road prowess, or unless the character of that bike just speaks to you, the routine scheduled maintenance is just too time-consuming.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #48
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinPrisa View Post
Vespa LX 50 4V: $3399
Wedding ring for nice round American woman to ride on back: $6601

Rest of life together raising 7 kids... priceless.
I concur If you like it, you should have put a ring on it.

Jon
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #49
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
How can you make that reliability assessment? The bike hasn't been out long enough. Triumph has historically been second tier to Japanese bikes in that aspect. British bikes and automobiles have never been synonymous with reliability, but I guess a fan boy can look past that.
You obviously know what you're talking about. It's not that the bike is out for more than two years now, lots of people have racked up 50k to 70k miles already without so much as a hickup. A few computer gremlins were sorted out, a new centerstand designed and the MAJOR recall was a gear selector return spring.

Yup. Sounds second tier to me.

And another one: The Tiger 800XC scored third place (overall rating) in the 50k km long distance test of German Magazine "Motorrad", only a Yamaha XJ6 and a HD Road King ever scored better. Sure, sounds so second tier ...

cug screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 10:50 AM
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #50
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Why not get this and put 5 grand into your travel and touring fund?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=Triumph+tiger
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #51
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
And another one: The Tiger 800XC scored third place (overall rating) in the 50k km long distance test of German Magazine "Motorrad", only a Yamaha XJ6 and a HD Road King ever scored better. Sure, sounds so second tier ...
Go Team America!
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #52
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,490
You are the ONLY one who knows what bike really turns you on. Don't fall victim to what others say because typically they DON't Know!

First off, I had a big Boxer GS. It was the best handling bike I have had. It handled the dirt and twisties like no other. It was a 95 1100 GS and it handled and was better in everyway for me then my Strom. I had no problems. Final drive failures are VERY uncommon and the bearing is cheap. You can pretend its a chain and change it at the same interval for less then a chain and sproket. I had NO problems with my big GS, just got bike ADD

I had a 06 STROM, rode the piss out of it, loved it, Super fun, but I was destroying it off road. The 650 strom is a VERY capable bike and there are tons of aftermarket parts.

I replaced that with a KTM 640 ADVENTURE... Cool bike, no problems. Replaced that with another Japaneese Bike, no Problems.

Replaced that with the big GS because of the dis-belief I had in handling. I rode my buddies in the dirt and was instantly Blown away by the superior build quaility and fit and finish, They are worth the Money!

I replaced that with a Triumph Sprint ST, Super Fast, color matched luggage sick looking etc. But it didnt Do it for me.

Now I have a cheesey Japaneese DR650 that I bought for 2500.00 from a Harley Guy. Love it too.

so the moral is, don't listen to people you dont know and get the bike that excites you!

so, ive owned Japaneese, British, Austrian and German. All are awsome don't believe all the hype, get what turns you on. But... if I had 10K, I would get a F800GS since they make my heart rate rise when I see and ride one!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #53
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Love my XC. I get upgrade fever every 18 mos. or so and that's about how long I've had my XC. I kinda have it now, but there isn't anything out there that seems interesting, and when I ride my XC I'm reminded what a great all round bike it is. They really are great motorcycles. The only bike that has me interested is a KTM690 Enduro and I can't really tell you why other than sheer lust
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #54
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
i'd look a buying a ktm950/990 and spend the rest on farkles and gas if 10k was my budget.
+ 1
Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #55
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
You are the ONLY one who knows what bike really turns you on. Don't fall victim to what others say because typically they DON't Know!

First off, I had a big Boxer GS. It was the best handling bike I have had. It handled the dirt and twisties like no other. It was a 95 1100 GS and it handled and was better in everyway for me then my Strom. I had no problems. Final drive failures are VERY uncommon and the bearing is cheap. You can pretend its a chain and change it at the same interval for less then a chain and sproket. I had NO problems with my big GS, just got bike ADD

I had a 06 STROM, rode the piss out of it, loved it, Super fun, but I was destroying it off road. The 650 strom is a VERY capable bike and there are tons of aftermarket parts.

I replaced that with a KTM 640 ADVENTURE... Cool bike, no problems. Replaced that with another Japaneese Bike, no Problems.

Replaced that with the big GS because of the dis-belief I had in handling. I rode my buddies in the dirt and was instantly Blown away by the superior build quaility and fit and finish, They are worth the Money!

I replaced that with a Triumph Sprint ST, Super Fast, color matched luggage sick looking etc. But it didnt Do it for me.

Now I have a cheesey Japaneese DR650 that I bought for 2500.00 from a Harley Guy. Love it too.

so the moral is, don't listen to people you dont know and get the bike that excites you!

so, ive owned Japaneese, British, Austrian and German. All are awsome don't believe all the hype, get what turns you on. But... if I had 10K, I would get a F800GS since they make my heart rate rise when I see and ride one!
GS800 pffff....I've owned or rode most of the bikes you list and you haven't obviously rode an LC8 powered bike (kTM SE or Adventure) try it and get the adrenaline to come pouring out of your eye sockets...
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #56
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,490
I have! Sweeeet bikes!!!!! My friend Peter (Sailah) had a 950S. That bike will blow youre socks off!..
3 local guys here had/have the 950 SUMO too.. thats a fun bike.

I like those too!

greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
GS800 pffff....I've owned or rode most of the bikes you list and you haven't obviously rode an LC8 powered bike (kTM SE or Adventure) try it and get the adrenaline to come pouring out of your eye sockets...