Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #31
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
The style has been a little too old for my taste, but they seem to be offering more choices these days, so I might subject myself to a used one eventualy, retro 500cc thumpers are thin on the ground these days.

New, the prices were high for an Indian made bike.
When the BMW car dealer used to sell them, along with BMW motorcycles, they were asking over $7000.00 I think.
The built in Japan TU was going for $4000.00 and I got a new leftover for $3000.00, the V7 was about $9000.00...

It seems like the Enfield with good tires could do some dirt roads and trails, the TU sort of sucks at that.

A Ural without the side car might also be fun, but about 30 pounds heavier.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #32
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,140
$7000 is not so bad. That is the equivalent of 5308 euro. In Europe prices range from 5500 to 6500 euro, depending country.
The export models (EFI and all the fancy greenling stuff) are available to Indians too and they pay similar prices.

http://www.royalenfields.com/ is managed by an afficionado and hosts adds for sales. Might be worth a visit just for starters.
The ones we're talking about here are new as in very young. We're speaking post 2010. 2010 is a watershed year.

You bet you're right about them going on the rough stuff, and they do it loaded. Got to go scrambler mode for rock and trunk jumping though.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Oddometer: 80
NJBrett,

Yeah, i looked long and hard at the Ural sT. Pretty bike, modern stuff, old style. Decided to keep my Enfield. It is interesting how prices even on used Enfield have gone up in recent years. In 09 i bought my 03 for 1500 bucks. And good used ones could regularly be gotten for 2k. Now a days must good used ones go for 3k. And the UCE's go for 4500 minimum.

And Rango, that site you pointed to is great. Dave Blasco writes some fun stuff, and yeah he posts lots of used Enfield adds. Nice for a quick thumbnail glance of prices.

Well i finally got back from working for a week. Took the bike out fir some more break in rides. New overbore kit feels real nice. I'm getting some oil weeping from the rocker feeds somewhere, but everything else is doing so well. No head leaks. No case leaks. The breather mid i did seems to have greatly reduced the puking of my oil there as well. I'm really pleased.

So my modified clubman build progresses.

Be safe all.
Noisymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

News for Enfielders in USA.

For those who don't know, you should Google Aniket Vardhan, and see what he is doing with Enfield parts. He built a 700cc Vtwin from primarily 350 stock parts, and casting his own cases. Amazing work.

He is just now getting his 1000cc bike on the road. From primarily stock Bullet 500 parts, and again his own cases. Just amazing work. And Tom at ACE is planning a build from a set of these cases with his Fireball top ends (dual 535 pistons, Mondello heads....a single one of these will do approaching 40HP with good street manners and no breakage for...I think the first one is approaching 50k now). Imagine an 80HP Enfield that retains its sexy looks (albeit with a modern V rather than a thumper or parallel twin look), all the niggles and farkles that Enfield riders like to add still possible, and dead realiable. Wow.

Obviously with this kind of power, drivetrain issues are likely to crop up, but I myself am anxiously watching to see how they do.

Take a look at this thing:

Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #35
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
God DAMN those are good looking bikes.
kid_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #36
Unstable Rider
Monday again?

Oddometer: 2,470
I will probably get asked to go stand in the corner for posting this,
but I did just see this Enfield on my local Mpls-St. Paul Craig's just now, I thought the advertisement was clever. Just sayin.

1964 ROYAL ENFIELD - $3000 (BAYPORT, Mn)

750CC INTERCEPTOR Made in ENGLAND. Drink to much to ride it and to old to kick start it.
Not totally original, but could use a younger owner.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...615270949.html

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #37
Rango
Phaneropter

Cool2 two bullets for a musket

Kind of cool to find two twins so close together.

Boy, does that Interceptor needs an interception

I very much appreciate the story of mr. Vardhan. His goal was to make a Harley with what was available. Ultimately he created a V-twin that is thoroughbred british, in sight and sound. And the route he followed to achieve this is admirable. It is hard to find adequate praise.

Personally I would prefer the resurrection of the Constellation, in the US known as Interceptor. For a number of reasons, such as authenticity, esthetics. And it must be able to carry my camping gear. Is it that I somehow keep associating V-twins with cafes? I wonder why.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
Lou Hela

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut1985 View Post
After much searching around this appears to be a form that doesn't have much tolerance for many threads on the same issue. Looking about I don't see any discussing the recent Royal Enfield models.

I am a new user from Edmonton, AB, Canada interested in the Enfield... one of the classic military style ones to be specific.

Now I understand in the recent past they were a really low quality horrid machine. I've seen previous advice in years past that your better off with a used Japanese motorcycle for $2500 than a new enfield. Or something to the tune of "The best "$2000 bike that $5000" can buy.

However my understanding is they have now achieved pretty decent quality levels in the last few years. Also EFI and getting excellent fuel economy (85mpg imp?). They're supposed to be pretty durable to tackle the tough roads and conditions that India can throw at them.

Any thoughts on this as an adventure bike, or doing some long haul, running down the odd fire trail...etc? I know they only make 27hp or so and have a top speed of 130km/h, but there has been round the world expeditions and such on bikes with similar abilities. I also know they're not designed to be an off road bike per say, but hell, every bike was deemed off road able back in the day (you just have to go slow enough I guess).

To my knowledge there is a 535cc bore kit one could apply if they mange to burn out that 500, for a little extra boost.

Are there any users here using one of these in what I'll call the "adventure spirit"?

I'm also wondering how much the aerodynamics of hard panniers might effect the highway ability of the bike.

Howdy. Yeps. I bought a new 2012 Bullet Electra in May last year, brand spanking.
I'm in Finland, which rather limits our riding season, but I clocked 6000k in 5 months.

Reasons for getting it:
HUGE nostalgia for a Brit (looking) single. My old dad used to race Nortons and BSA's in the 50's.
I don't like going fast.
It's simple to maintain.

Goods:
Does all you'd expect.
Low fuel consumption.
Hasn't once failed to start first time.
Totally re-designed lean engine.
Handles and brakes well. Sounds great.

Bads:
Poor wiring. Hasn't ever let me down, but the use of electrical tape from the factory was quite shocking.
Chain has stretched terribly and will be the first thing to replace when the snow finally clears.
Mirrors are pretty crappy and badly positioned. Will probably replace with bar ends.

I'm sure there are better-made bikes available 2nd hand for the same money or less, but it just looks so damn sweet. Yes, it could use a little more power for those horrible moments when joining faster traffic is absolutely unavoidable. Over 80kmh and it's too light. I've done 105kmh on it for about 10 seconds, just to see if it would. Thank God I got that over with..

I would have got a Kawasaki W650 had one appeared used, but it never did. I didn't fancy the Bonneville after a test. Terrible suspension and didn't fit my large frame. Funnily the Enfield does, though pics of me on it make it look small. Weird. I could have saved a packet by getting an old-model Bullet, but I don't have the necessary practical skills to change a big end by the roadside.. I know for a lot of guys, tinkering is half the fun, but not for me.

I'll be doing a big ride this summer with #1 daughter in June down through Sweden, Denmark, Germany and back up through Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia on it, so I guess I'll be able to tell more in July when we get back. I'm having a frame and some panniers made for it right now. I went for the EFI Electra rather than a Classic as it had the best pillion seating.

Would I get another one if it were stolen? Yeps. I think I would.

BR
Lou

Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #39
Lou Hela

Cmon
Someone must like Enfields?
Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #40
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
The not so great thing about Royal Enfield in Canada is that even Gas-Gas has a better dealer network, the almost total lack of a dealer network and bike availability really kills any desire I would have to own one (and I own a TM EN-144 and a couple of Huskys so a small dealer network does not really bother me.).
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #41
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Hela View Post
Cmon
I bought a 1968 Royal Enfield 750cc Interceptor in 1968 between back-to-back tours in Vietnam. Didn't get to ride it until I got back home in September of 1969.

It was one disappointment after another - it's almost as if the Enfield engineers took every design flaw from every other Brit bike and incorporated them all into the ultimate two-wheeled turd. It was pretty, no doubt about it, but Indian manufacturing and quality control can only be an improvement. To this day I kick myself in the ass for not having bought the Norton N15 that I was also considering.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #42
Noisymilk
Run What Ya Brung

Haha! Hey Lou....I love Enfields, warts and all.

My bike prior to this was a 70 Commando. Loved it too, but maintenance and improvement was a financial boondoggle. Matt Rambow at Colorado Norton Works is doing amazing stuff, but for an amazing price. 10k plus to do what I wanted to do to that bike. Opted to sell and go for the Enfield.

Wouldn't do it any other way. I know it's parts are sometimes shoddily made. I know the engine (on mine) is a 50 year old design. But I love it anyways. It's dead simple to work on. It rides 2 up very comfortably. With minimal (to me anyways) work, it can be a super reliable strong daily rider. And it's a fantastic platform for customization.

Jasonmt....you are right. Lack of dealers can be a deal breaker for some. I myself do all my own work, so not a problem for me. Online support is easily accessed, and there are some awesome folks who play with these that are just fun to know. The say it makes a mechanic out of a man, and that is not tongue in cheek. But I enjoy the learning. I've had my engine completely apart (crank in hand), and will again when I get around to bottom end improvements (the known achilles heel on the older bikes like mine).

Mine is being slowly adventurized. It won't do the BAM road or ROB with Colebatch at 90km/hr, but it will get me to where I want to go (hopefully). And I'm a guy who enjoys the weirdness of the machine, as well as the travel and the destination.

Be safe all.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #43
Lou Hela

Alright!
Nice to get some replies.
BUT!
The original post was about NEW Enfields.

And, with respect you "old" people ;-) and my daughter is looking over my shoulder telling me Daddy don't say that..

The original post was about the new Enfield.

Umm. Sorry to be so pedantic. Here's #1 daughter on said newish bike.
BR
Lou
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Lou Hela

..and I will post pics of my beat up Corolla from the very same parking lot tomorrow.
It's snowing again..
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #45
Rango
Phaneropter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Hela View Post
Cmon
Howdy,

Congrats with your acquisition.
I have a 2011 Electra EFI, maroon. Just 2 more months to the end of the warranty period, 17000km so far.

Indeed, kickstart, first time, always, even in the cold or the wet.
On my speed test I reached 132kpu and over 22km of highway traffic an average of 122kpu (gps measured, real data). Would I do it again? That would go against better judgment, but the flesh can be weak. I try to avoid the highways, let's keep it there. And I seek out the dirt roads. After all there's the good life.

Given your first impressions it will provide you great satisfaction. And indeed these new (post 2009) EFI bullets are rock solid, no leaks, no fuzz, no tinkering.
As you found out the chain is weak. I changed mine after 14000km with a O-ring chain from the Classic. Some will say they don't fit, but they do.

Wishing you good trails