User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Talking Alaska To California.

Hello hello... this winter had been quite......FUN!! well many people dreamed to ride up to Alaska, me, being up here, i dream the opposite. This trip has been on my mind this whole winter and is in the making for sometime around June 10th till the 28th of June 13'.

posted below are pics of the route. i will be riding my CBR from Anchorage, AK to Sacramento, CA. Will be tent camp most of the time, unless i really have to get a room. Whole purpose to just have a blast of a lifetime, and visit some family in SAC. i'm original from there and moved up to AK in 2002, and have never left state. So i'm hoping this summer will be possible.

If anyone is in WA,OR,CA and would like to join, meet, ride a bit with me, offer some garage time for an oil change,some maintenance if needed, couch to crash,you are more than welcome & appreciated , even tho i am on a time budget, i don't mind adjusting my route to meet up with some of ya :)

so here are some basic :

(gas and money are estimated a little bit over to be on the safe side)

time- June 12th-28th-2013----17 days to ride the west !
total round trip miles..ETA 7k miles
GAS: 7k miles / 130 miles per tank= 53 fill up @ around $17 per tank= $915 on gas. ($1200 budgeted in case)
FooD: staying on a budget as possible.. so how about $25 p/day X17 =$425
campground &room/showers/laundry .etc... +$600
Bike maintenance $600..if needed. i don't expect to change out tires, unless i get a pop, or wears out bad, fresh one will be installed before take off. an oil change somewhere Cali pref able

map 1

this and over view of the route, havent decided on the route back, maybe just take I-5 back into Canada, who know.. let me know what route i should take back..in a timely manner..

map 2

1st day: Depart ANCH.. ride about 550 miles north, cross Canada, sleep the night in Destruction BAY, YT, CA.

day 2: Depart Destruction bay ...Ride 434 miles.. stop into Whitehorse, arrive at Watson Lake, CA. call it a night here .

map 3

day 3: depart Watson Lake- Ride 532 miles south to Smithers, BC, CA

camp...zzzzz

Day 4: depart Smithers, ride south 503 miles to Cache Creek BC, CA
...camp.zzzzz danG IT, CANADA is so hugh!!

map 4

Day 5: finally getting out of Canada. depart Cache Creek, 285 miles to Seattle, or gun it to Portland, OR.. let me know what ya think i should do. shall i sleep a night in Seattle? i do want to check out the Space needle. :)

map5

for now, well just say i sleep a night in/ somewhere in WA.

day 6: depart WA to Crescent city, CA. from here. i want to stay on highway 101 ...

map 6

lost and cruising highway 101..let me know if theres any cool places to check out..
day :7 depart Crescent city---stop by Eureka to see some folks, then south we got till i get to San Francisco !!! night here... anyone wants to party?

map 7

anything to know about this section ?? cruise cruise rideeeee...

map 8

day 8 : depart san Fran-- all the way to Sacramento !..

now i know its the 8th day only, but obivious i will be spending a bit more time in each area. i know i'll be needing at least 5 days to get back home. so that leaves me with about 4 day--ish.. to explore and hopefully meet some of ya

My bike and I will be prepare for this trip and we both love it, so what i would like to know is... any suggest on route, places to sleep,eat, camp, place to get parts, dealership, or info i can use...of course i cant plan too much, cause sometimes its just funner not knowing whats ahead. inputs and advice...only 19 ish weeks if this trip does go down.!!

-Young & Wild

nuttynu screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 03:05 PM Reason: info
nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,059
One route change I would suggest is to take Hiway 1 south to San Francisco. The turnoff is at Leggett on the 101. The hwy 1 stretch from Leggett to Rockport is a truly great section of road, and Hiwy 1 down the coast is beautiful. Plus, the stretch along the coast has enough tight turns to keep things interesting.

Fort Bragg has a nice brewery: North Coast Brewing:
http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/index2.php
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Sweet. Thank u. I'll will look into that and place that route... I'll still be able to ride that Golden Gate Bridge right ? Yes !

Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
I'll still be able to ride that Golden Gate Bridge right ? Yes !
Yes, you will because Hwy 1 merges with the 101 just north of the bridge, but you will pay a toll fee in the direction that heads into San Francisco.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Interesting .. Toll fee huh? Does that apply when entering into San Fran only ?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
Interesting .. Toll fee huh? Does that apply when entering into San Fran only ?
Correct, tolls apply only to the southbound direction (entering San Francisco).
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks for the info!!

well... i got so GOOD NEWS!!

This trip is now OFFICIAL !!! YES!!!

hmm now back to doing more homework...

Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Question

can someone confirm that in Canada , all rider must wear a reflective safety vest ...?

Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Waterboiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
No reflective vest required in Canada but some reflective areas on your gear would be a good idea after dark but that holds anywhere.

Watch your speed though as most places, BC for sure, will impound for 40 km/h over. Radar detectors legal in BC.
Waterboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks you !

I'll bring along a vest just in case. And I tried not to ride at night time. . Just case of all the crazy wildlife out there. But maybe when I get to the states.

nuttynu screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 02:57 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Route Back To Alaska

I think ive been planing to much and just need to relax.

but today, i calculated the route back home..

each map indicates where a day and a night.

--

map 1

June 22: depart Sac town, hit the roads till i get to Portland, OR

map 2

June 23rd: Depart Portland, ride north till Cache Crk, BC

map 3

June 24th : Depart Cache Creek,BC,CA, cruise till i hit this town call Hazelton, BC.

map 4

June 25th: depart Hazelton, BC. check in at Watson Lake :) good time to check out the sign post as well.

map 5

June 26th: Watson lake to Burwash Landing. Last night in Canada :(

map 6

June 27th: lastly, Burwash landing ...all the way till i hit Anchorage (home)

i still have the 28th off . so that'll be reserve for anything that might need more time. if all goes well. i may spend a bit more time in Whitehorse.

16 weeks till i take off.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

thought about it and i will try to push at least 700 miles a day till i reached Cali, reason; more time to enjoy the places down there and also planning to hit Vegas. it i can average 700miles, i should be down there 5 days, *fingers cross.

pics,

choose of tires for this trip--

about 13 weeks till, Bring.......

Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Camping in San Francisco is slim pickings. You might consider camping at the KOA in Petaluma. There is also a motel that has $55 rooms, just a few doors down from Lagunitas Brewery (my favorite). Both are walking distance to the tap room, which has live music almost every night.

If you come down Hwy 1 instead, there are huge delicious oysters at Drake's Bay Oyster Company.

You could do both, since there are a couple of roads between Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 in that area.

Once in Sacramento, there are some good rides in the foothills. Hwy 49 and Hwy 193 are both fun roads.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Hey Nutty,

I did Watson Lake to Palmer in one day last year. I know that is a REALLY long ride on a sport bike but you might consider Anchorage to Whitehorse for your first day. Just a thought to give you more time with friends and family in the lower 48.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Camping in San Francisco is slim pickings. You might consider camping at the KOA in Petaluma. There is also a motel that has $55 rooms, just a few doors down from Lagunitas Brewery (my favorite). Both are walking distance to the tap room, which has live music almost every night.

If you come down Hwy 1 instead, there are huge delicious oysters at Drake's Bay Oyster Company.

You could do both, since there are a couple of roads between Hwy 101 and Hwy 1 in that area.

Once in Sacramento, there are some good rides in the foothills. Hwy 49 and Hwy 193 are both fun roads.
sweet thats sound good. i know when i get to cali, i may just get rooms if theyre going to be under $65 a night. ill have to grab a map of Cali. All these highway are different from Alaska, where we name our instead of numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Hey Nutty,

I did Watson Lake to Palmer in one day last year. I know that is a REALLY long ride on a sport bike but you might consider Anchorage to Whitehorse for your first day. Just a thought to give you more time with friends and family in the lower 48.
exactly what i'm thinking too, i think i my first day; i'll start early around 5 am, and ride all day till Whitehorse.
Vegas wasnt in the plan, but by doing this, i'll have time to ride to it too.