ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 915
Talking New game plan. Plan a

new plan, pushing the miles a bit more to start off the trip.

would like to get to the states asap.

day 1- ride from Home to Whitehorse, CA.
roughly 700 mileess..

Day 2- Whitehorse to Smithers,BC,CA


Day 3- Smithers to Seattle ,WA


Day 4- Seattle to Eureka,Ca (highway 101)- seeing family down here.

day 5- Eureka to San Fran..cruise, then off to Sacramento- roughly 400 ish miles.

Day 6 &7 - chilled day, planning to stay maybe 1 or 2 days here, hang out with fam, and anyone nearby, by this time, it'll also be good to check bike's maintenance and do an oil change..etc.

Day 8- depart Sac, Head to Fresno, then down to LA .chill and maybe meet some members.


day 9- gets better, LA, of to Las Vegas !! debating on staying here for either a day or maybe 2.

day 10 or 11- steadily head back to Alaska.

-las Vegas to Reno, back up to Oregon and WA.

haven't really decided where im going to stop for the night, but more of just wing it.

ABOUT 11 WEEKS TILL TAKE OFF..
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
babarnette
Studly Adventurer
 
babarnette's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Brandon, MS (On The Rez)
Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
new plan, pushing the miles a bit more to start off the trip.

would like to get to the states asap.

day 1- ride from Home to Whitehorse, CA.
roughly 700 mileess..

Day 2- Whitehorse to Smithers,BC,CA


Day 3- Smithers to Seattle ,WA


Day 4- Seattle to Eureka,Ca (highway 101)- seeing family down here.

day 5- Eureka to San Fran..cruise, then off to Sacramento- roughly 400 ish miles.

Day 6 &7 - chilled day, planning to stay maybe 1 or 2 days here, hang out with fam, and anyone nearby, by this time, it'll also be good to check bike's maintenance and do an oil change..etc.

Day 8- depart Sac, Head to Fresno, then down to LA .chill and maybe meet some members.


day 9- gets better, LA, of to Las Vegas !! debating on staying here for either a day or maybe 2.

day 10 or 11- steadily head back to Alaska.

-las Vegas to Reno, back up to Oregon and WA.

haven't really decided where im going to stop for the night, but more of just wing it.

ABOUT 11 WEEKS TILL TAKE OFF..
Your initial route out is the same route I was planning on taking last year before I busted my rear shock and had to ship my bike home.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #18
cb1313
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Oddometer: 41
Seattle I-5

I lived outside Tacoma (Buckley) Wa for 20 years and worked in Seattle and Everett for Boeing. I-5 and 405 are really busy during the week days. Try to travel that area on Sunday.

Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #19
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
I lived outside Tacoma (Buckley) Wa for 20 years and worked in Seattle and Everett for Boeing. I-5 and 405 are really busy during the week days. Try to travel that area on Sunday.

Cb
Thanks for heads up, I've heard traffic is pretty bad down there and also in Cali, staying close to the coastline as possible.
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 626
Im ready, I have a place for you to stay in orange county, ca and a 2 kayaks



Went yesterday and had a blast.
__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer
 
DestinationUnknown's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: West TN
Oddometer: 85
Any chance you could alter your schedule and route? Making it over to North Arizona/ Southern Utah would would be a great route to see some of the scenic southwest while you are down that way. Monument Valley plus all the National Parks in that area.
DestinationUnknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
ak bike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: alaska 52 years or so
Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
Any chance you could alter your schedule and route? Making it over to North Arizona/ Southern Utah would would be a great route to see some of the scenic southwest while you are down that way. Monument Valley plus all the National Parks in that area.
Your talking some fantastic riding country that has a thin population unreal scenery, great camp spots, lots of gravel and light traveled pavement. It's gotta be 5 stars.
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
Mendo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mendo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Oddometer: 191
Definitely take hwy 1 along the coast after san francisco. Its one of the most beautiful rides on the west coast. You are pushing some major milage, personally I would opt for a little slower pace to enjoy the stops along the way but everyone is different. Look forward to reading about the trip, this is on my list as well but staying more coastal most of the time.

__________________
Jungle Explorer

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
Any chance you could alter your schedule and route? Making it over to North Arizona/ Southern Utah would would be a great route to see some of the scenic southwest while you are down that way. Monument Valley plus all the National Parks in that area.
I may be able to after Vegas,well see how the timing go. Cause at least 4-5 days will be reserved from coming back to ak. I'll take a lot into your route and see If I can make.!

And thanks everyone, yes on highway 1, once in WA,OR& CA; I would like to stay close to the coastline as possible. .

So how crazy are the drivers down there ? Shall I take any kind of precautions? I know lane splitting is legal, you guys have HOV, and some other lanes Alaska don't have ..
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 915
Cool2 Las Vegas..

Hmm. . I may put Vegas on hold.

Cause if I do, mostly likely it'll just be me. Which may be awkward and lonely and not fun. Might save that trip for the lady and I...

Maybe head up Utah after LA instead ^
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer
 
DestinationUnknown's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: West TN
Oddometer: 85
Here is a small example of what I was referring to in North AZ or South Utah area. So much to visit in that part of the country. I only say this as I plan to visit all of this in my trip out west next month. I linked a map below with what I am referring to. Hope you can make it out there, if not, there is always the future to try. What you have planned is a lot of mileage already, so good luck with whatever you try.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=I...=1,3,4&t=m&z=7
DestinationUnknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 7,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
I may be able to after Vegas,well see how the timing go. Cause at least 4-5 days will be reserved from coming back to ak. I'll take a lot into your route and see If I can make.!

And thanks everyone, yes on highway 1, once in WA,OR& CA; I would like to stay close to the coastline as possible. .

So how crazy are the drivers down there ? Shall I take any kind of precautions? I know lane splitting is legal, you guys have HOV, and some other lanes Alaska don't have ..

Vegas will be getting warm by then. Utah may be also, but not as bad. If you head east, plan ahead for fuel. Areas like Tonapah (sp?) have stretches some bikes won't make on a single tank. Cool stuff to see out there, though. If the heat is getting to you, and you don't want to do desert, you could ride the Sierra Nevada back north. There are some great roads, and temps are usually about 5 to 10 less than the Central Valley.

The driving can be hectic in bigger California cities, especially in dense traffic. Some of the popular motorcycle roads like Skyline Blvd. southwest of S.F. or Mulholland Dr. in L.A. can have people treating it like a race track.

The California CHP just released guidelines for lane splitting. Basically it is only for slow moving traffic, and you should use the space between the fast and middle lanes, going not much faster than traffic. Common sense stuff. There may be some cagers that get angry, so watch for them.

The carpool lanes allow motorcycles, but I'm not sure about electric vehicle lanes. I don't know of any near me, but the signs should say.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
holckster
dougholck
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lodi, Ca
Oddometer: 789
Bummer, I plan to be in Dawson City June 19th so will pass you northbound on your way here.

I would be careful trying to do consecutive 700 mile days.
It's OK once in awhile but 500 is still a long day, I try to figure 50 mph average and stop when tired.
I have done Seattle to Sacramento (750 miles) in 10.5 hrs cruising I-5 at 85mph (when the radar was not screaming) only stopping twice for fuel.
Hwy 1 will be much slower.
Peersonally, Washington and Oregon coasts are nice but the Calif north coast is amazing.
With your tight schedule I would blast south on I-5 and cut over on Hwy 199 to Hwy 1, then hug the coast.
Definitly skip Vegas and I would not bother with LA on your tight schedule.
Take any of the Serria passes and head for Zion, Capitol Reef and loop north maybe thru Yellowstone, Glacier, Baniff and take the Alcan back to Alaska.

Lanesharing allowed in Calif only.
It's OK for motorcycles to use OHV express (diamond) lanes but they have removed all the signage that says it's allowed.

California drivers are some of the worst, ride like you are invisible because they act like they do not see you even if they are stareing right at you.

Places not to miss along the Nor-Cal coast.
Avenue of the Giants Hwy 254 off (parallels) Hwy 101.
http://redwoods.info/category.asp?ca...FcZ_QgoduCUAbg

Northcoast Brewery in Ft Bragg
http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/index2.php

Tony's Seafood Resturant, Marshall, Ca
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...alifornia.html

Safe Travels
__________________
Doug Holck
Lodi, CA
3 Continents - 7 Countries - 50 States

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE


holckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 915
holckster; thanks for all the great word,

part of my wants to visit the big city and such, but then of course theres more risk,crazy drivers. rush hour traffic thats much worse than up here i bet.


well see how everything goes.
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 915
So my gal is planning to get her license, get a bike and maybe do this trip.

You guys think this is too much for a new rider for their first year
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014