User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
ML WYDELL OP
NED

Oddometer: 470
Sidestands

Anyone out there have experinece with the Surefoot sidestands? I like Teapots stand but only goes on G/S models. The Browns looks to be a bit short.

Any suggestions? Thanks
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML WYDELL View Post
The Browns looks to be a bit short. Any suggestions? Thanks
What model and year is your bike? I have the Brown and am happy with it:

Not sure that is is "a bit short". Seems to work just fine.
Surefoot - http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...%22+SIDESTANDS
Snowbum - http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 08:25 AM Reason: surefoot
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,449
have had browns on every airhead I've owned except my g/s(homemade) for the past 25 years, they are simple and they work great. never, ever, had an issue with one in approx half a million miles of riding.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
R100RT Monolever with Surefoot Sidestand

Images show the Surefoot stand on my 1994 R100RT. I had a Surefoot on my twin shock R65 as well, and would have fitted a Surefoot to my a my 1993 R100R had it not already had a Brown sidestand fitted by its previous owner. The Surefoot is more industrial looking that the Brown type, but is very robust.

Note simple one bolt fixing here (but some require the left footrest to be modified on an exchange basis) and that the stand holds the 'bike at the same angle as the OEM stand (one image shows both deployed - handy on very soft surfaces).

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s
Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s

R100RT Mark screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 10:55 AM
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,075
I have had a Surefoot on my '78 R100RS for 20 odd years. Replaces the left foot peg. Its been great. I'd recommend. Robust, fits nicely against the muffler, & doesn't look out of place.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
side stand

Brown's work very well. If it is a bit short ( not sure why it would be) take to a weld shop and get it extended. they are simple and work great , Don't cost much either.
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
Very timely thread.

I've got an r80gspd and one thing that bothers me is the side stand being so far forward. Its best if I raise the stand then mount the bike as reach with my 30" legs sukz.

Anyone using this? Other dirt friendly alternatives?

http://www.flyingtpot.com/main.htm
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,188
Still the stock side stand: http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfin...search=1&go=GO

Never had any reason to change. Same for the center stand. Brown seems to be a popular side stand.

Edit: I have a 30" inseam and have no trouble putting the stock stand down while seated - which works in dirt or grass. However, there is some technique to this, much like using the center stand. Once the side stand is extended using your toe, the bike is rolled backward slightly to lock the stand in place.

If extending the stand was worrisome, I would add an extension - but still use the same technique before dismounting. YMMV.

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 06:55 AM
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Very timely thread.

I've got an r80gspd and one thing that bothers me is the side stand being so far forward. Its best if I raise the stand then mount the bike as reach with my 30" legs sukz.

Anyone using this? Other dirt friendly alternatives?

http://www.flyingtpot.com/main.htm

this...
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

to this...

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Have had the Browns side stand and hated it. It was too far back for me. I have used the stock OEM stand on all my airheads for the past 35 years. Never had any problems with them whatsoever. I find them very safe and work as designed. The auto retract feature makes a lot of sense. Plus, I prefer to get off my bike and then deploy the side stand. That way I can "plant" it how I want. As for getting on the bike, I get on first, then as I bring the bike up to vertical, the stand automatically retracts. Just a simple design that works for me.

But, lots of people like the Browns and other after market types. Nobody has ever been able to give me a real valid reason why they think that they are better than the stock ones, but I am certain they have reasons that are valid to them.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

on order
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Have had the Browns side stand and hated it. It was too far back for me. I have used the stock OEM stand on all my airheads for the past 35 years. Never had any problems with them whatsoever. I find them very safe and work as designed. The auto retract feature makes a lot of sense. Plus, I prefer to get off my bike and then deploy the side stand. That way I can "plant" it how I want. As for getting on the bike, I get on first, then as I bring the bike up to vertical, the stand automatically retracts. Just a simple design that works for me.

But, lots of people like the Browns and other after market types. Nobody has ever been able to give me a real valid reason why they think that they are better than the stock ones, but I am certain they have reasons that are valid to them.
At 5'4" with 28" inseam the OEM stand is not useable unless I dismount first ( as you do ). Not a problem when the bike is unladen, but with gear on the seat and luggage rack dismounting risks an embarassing drop or personal injury.

I have no problem with the self-retracting design as long as it is not placed where maybe 53% of riders can deploy it. The other disadvantage of the forward placement is the loss of stability when parked since the front wheel supports less weight allowing the bike to fall on uneven ground.

The designers only seemed to care about those with enough leg length to meet their arrogant standards, to hell with the other 47%. Wait, that number sounds familiar.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,386
Yeah, the stand is a stupid design for a short arse - specially if you are left handed and spent the last 40 years getting on and off a bike on the right hand side....I had to change my whole mount and dismount procedure for the BMW. I have an extension on mine - I can deploy it with my toe, when the stand is down my foot is on the ground in the correct position to just step off. Pretty simple and works well for me.

motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #14
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
My crapped out oe side stand has come in handy a million times when using the stand on uneven ground.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
I've an early surefoot on my 78. Its a great stand but I prefer the later adjustable ones. The early ones are prone to leaning over a little too far.

Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote