ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
camodog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Traveling to buffalo, Syracuse, and Albany

I will be in those areas next week and would like any tips or hints on great food and cheap entertainment for those and surrounding cities. Will not be on the V-strom. :(
Just the wife and I, we like everything
Any help is appreciated
camodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
The I-90 corridor. How long in each city.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
camodog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
The I-90 corridor. How long in each city.
Not sure. I would assume at least a day in each.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,056
Dinosaur BBQ. Don't miss it in Syracuse.

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
GSGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
XT_Driftwood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGIRL View Post
Dinosaur BBQ. Don't miss it in Syracuse.
Also in 'cuse:
Empire Brewing Company
Pastabilities
Kitty Hoynes

They're all pretty close to each other, a few blocks from the Dinosaur.

I also like the Blue Tusk, PJ's Pub, and Syracuse Suds, but if you only have a day or two you should hit one of the other four.

Dinosaur BBQ is fan-freaking-tastic.
'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon - the bane of my existence
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
camodog OP
Adventurer

Dinosaur BBQ has been mentioned several times now. It must be good.

Thanks for the feedback, I can't wait to report back after my trip
Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
BlueDaksi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
If you haven't seen Niagara Falls, it's definitely worth a look. In my opinion, Buffalo is a run-down crappy city and there's not much there to stop for. That said, the Anchor Bar is a common attraction because Buffalo chicken wings were allegedly invented there. Be advised that other local establishments have beaten them in taste-tests and dining reviews though.

If you're looking for unique regional cuisine, try a Garbage Plate from Nick Tahou's. They just opened up their first branch restaurant not too far off of I-90 on West Henrietta Rd. Check out GarbagePlate.com . It's the closest I've found to southern comfort food since moving up here from Oklahoma. The Garbage Plate has achieved cult-status in Rochester, and although other establishments have tried to emulate it, the best I've had is from Nick Tahou's.

For scenery, the many of the Finger Lakes south of I-90 are beautiful, particularly Hemlock Lake and Canadice Lake, but Honeoye, Canandaigua, and Seneca Lakes are also beautiful with their surrounding glacial moraines. There are hundreds of small scenic waterfalls in this part of the country if you want to get off the beaten path.

West of the Finger Lakes, Letchworth State Park is the "Grand Canyon of the Northeast", and is a scenic drive along the gorge with several large waterfalls on the Genesee River, one of the few north-running rivers in North America. Depending upon the time of your travel, the best portion of the drive might be closed for the winter, so check before making this side trip.

I agree with the recommendation for Dinosaur BBQ. I've only eaten at the one in Rochester, and it's pretty good.

If you're into micro-breweries, the Genesee Brewery in Rochester is one of the largest and oldest continuously running breweries in the country - I think it is second only to D.G. Yuengling & Son in Pottsville, PA. The Genny Brewery has a great view of some High Falls on the Genesee River. The company has been re-vitalized in recent years and is putting out some good beer.

Nearby to Dinosaur BBQ and Genesee Brewery in Rochester, is an honest-to-goodness Dominican hand-rolled cigar factory on East St. and they have some fine product. It is the Santiago Cigar Factory and you can find info on them at SantiagoCigarFactory.com. The owner, Gary Liotta, is a pretty cool guy and really knows cigars. Their resident master roller, Amadeo Bonilla, is well-known. I was in a hand-rolled cigar factory in NYC and they knew of him quite well.

That's all I can think of for now. - Oh! I almost forgot, the famous Erie Canal runs nearby the route from Buffalo - Syracuse. There's not much to see this time of year because much of it is drained for the winter, but it is of historical note if you haven't seen it.

-1982 Honda FT500 Ascot

BlueDaksi screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 12:26 PM
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Firemanmike69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
There's also a dinosaur barbecue in albany. Theres also the Albany pump station it's a restaurant with about 10 of their own microbrew beers all of which are good
Firemanmike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Loganberry?

Do they still drink "Loganberry" (soft drink) out Buffalo-Rochacha way?

Rochester used to be a hotbed of the "topfree" movement for women. But a little cold for that now!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
1969cuda
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The Dinosuar near Albany,is acually in Troy,just north of Albany.Great barbacue(off 787).NYS museum is pretty cool if you have time. Enjoy !! By the way ,my name is John,(everybody calls me Bert) and this is my first post on this forum.I'm a member over in XS11.I have a XS1100,but am in the market for a V Strom,something a little more manageable,weight wise.
Assorted dirt bikes
1969cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,613
Saranac Brewery, in Utica, is a pretty good diversion. If you don't want to simply drone on across the state on I90, Rt 20 is a parallel road just a bit to the south.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,177
As far as the Dinosaur,,,, I've been to all of them except for NYC.... the original in Syracuse is the best.

In Albany,,,,, if you like burritos, check out Bombers Burritos.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
camodog OP
Adventurer

Back home

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We ended up going to Niagra Falls (it was freezing out) ate at Duffs for some wings. Went to Syracuse and ate at Dinosaur BBQ (AMAZING!!) Went to Cooperstown and rode snowmobiles in the Catskills. I am sure I am forgetting a lot, but regardless we had a great time!!!

Thank you