Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #76
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 448
Hey you guys I think Dirty bike got caught in his words, I believe he only meant the F650gs will not tour full loaded two up in all season weather and is wrung out at 75-80. Not the Tiger XC. Maybe the thrashing started on him and he just went with it from there. But i think he originally was speaking only of the F650GS. If this is the case he is correct. It struggles loaded up and wouldn't be the best bike for long distance touring 2 up. IMHO.

His original quote:

"And the wife rides an '11 F650GS twin, (798cc) and it is wrung out at 75-80"

Yes he talks about he XC in a sentence before this one that he said his freind owned. But the XC was not within this sentence.
I am sure his friend commented to him that he would prefer a larger bike due to his heavy loaded touring expectations. I think his friend was only talking about that and not the power of the XC- As it it obviously can do it and has plenty.

Or he assumes any 800 is like the F650GS then I stand corrected--He is out of his proverbial mind.

boulder
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #77
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
It's nice that you want to cut him some slack, but the complete BS following that initial post, which is BS on it's own, didn't point anything you're trying to read into it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #78
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I think Yamaha Tenere. Looked at all the other s and gave uo and purchased a S10. Owned it for a month and 500 miles later I really impressed. It is a great bike and built like a tank. When I removed the right cowl fairing and looked at the quality of the relays and wiring harness I fell in love with the bike! It ids a simple and easy to work on, pulls the front tire no problem, and goes like crazy o to 75 mph.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #79
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,814
The Super Tenere is a solid bike. Shaft drive, yammer heritage, lots of doo-dads. Were it not for the Tiger I might be on one, or more likely a 990 Adventure.

I also think they are a good choice for a large rider, a big muscular guy that can handle the weight. At 175lbs and getting old and weak, I could tell it was too much bike for me.

I met up with the OP here, Kalitrailrider, with his new XC on Monday. We put some break-in miles on his bike, a couple of hundred miles out in the Anza area northeast of San Diego, and had a blast. Bike fits him well and he was scooting right along. He's a happy rider! Pix later.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #80
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I think Yamaha Tenere. Looked at all the other s and gave uo and purchased a S10. Owned it for a month and 500 miles later I really impressed. It is a great bike and built like a tank. When I removed the right cowl fairing and looked at the quality of the relays and wiring harness I fell in love with the bike! It ids a simple and easy to work on, pulls the front tire no problem, and goes like crazy o to 75 mph.
I have to agree its a pretty solid bike. I tested one before I rode an XC. Seemed well built and has great balance. Just doesnt have much character. The motor acted like it needed a boost in acceleration on the low end. I know there is a trick to jump a switch out for better acceleration but the one I rode was bone stock. I can see the appeal to some though.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #81
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

I met up with the OP here, Kalitrailrider, with his new XC on Monday. We put some break-in miles on his bike, a couple of hundred miles out in the Anza area northeast of San Diego, and had a blast. Bike fits him well and he was scooting right along. He's a happy rider! Pix later.
Nice!
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #82
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Last year I test rode a Tiger XC at Doug Douglas and was impressed by the low and mid range. It 's grunty! The high end is, like all Triumph triples, always there if you want it.

I've owned a R1150GS and a R1100S BCR (and bunch of Airheads). Later I picked up a 2001 Sprint RS 955i (for $2,500!) that was superior to the big boxers in almost every way, I was amazed. I don't especially like or dislike the triple engine exhaust sound but the power and smoothness is undeniable.

I had to sell the RS as I got a three level fusion surgery in my neck back in Nov. The recovery is 6-12 months and I didn't want to deal with keeping it happy. And it's depressing enough going through this without having to look at a bike every day and you can't ride. I won't be able to really sit a sport bike anymore, even a comfy one like the Sprint, so the XC (or Roadie) is top of my list when the Doc says I'm recovered.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #83
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
That's keeping it positive. Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to when you get released.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #84
mojave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
The time drags though...

Today the friend I sold the Sprint RS to came by and he was riding a Tiger 955i he'd just bought! I have never sat on one much less ridden one. So I did pick it up off the stand and sit on it - I liked it, enough that I may keep an eye out for one. When he took off it sounded identical to the RS.
2012 NC700X (HonDog)
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #85
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
and perhaps you assumed too much about yourself, and leave me wondering if you've ever heard of compression ratio, and it's effect on torque output?

Cam profiles, timing overlap, recipricating mass, combustion chamber size and shape, exhaust back pressure, and air intake flow dynamics all affect torque output.
We not talking "tuning" we are talking basics, more cubic inches/cubic centimeters means more torque end of story. No cover ups necessary by bring in exhaust back pressure, Oh, please.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #86
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
We not talking "tuning" we are talking basics, more cubic inches/cubic centimeters means more torque end of story. No cover ups necessary by bring in exhaust back pressure, Oh, please.
Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it isn't true.

While it IS true that "There's no replacement for displacement", is is also true that if that were the only factor in torque production then all engines would produce peak torque from idle to redline.

A 3.3 litre model A motor puts out only slightly more peak torque than my 1.2 litre '07 GS. The low compression model A engine hits its peak torque output @ well under 2k rpm while the GS spins past 5k to reach it's peak, and the difference is entirely caused by the factors I mentioned. A ninja 250 hits peak torque at over 9k, IIRC. It's ALL about tuning, and BTW, the Tiger 800 is tuned to produce at least 90% of it's peak thruout the rev range, unlike almost any other engine.
AT 3,500 rpm, the Tiger and GS both put out about the same torque.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #87
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:

...and then we have the other side of the coin. If you can't tell the difference it's because you're not paying attention. NOT because there isn't one
...unfortunately there is little if any difference between "paying attention" and experienced rider senses to be of any significance there kip... Maybe you need to chill on the ham sandwiches if you are "feeling" the difference.

I'll admit I love my XC, but that love comes from riding plenty of other bikes and the distinguishing impression it has provided.

Sorry to interrupt your physics lesson...

(EDIT: you're a GS owner with prostate issues. Of course you feel everything)

Dubl-A screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 03:52 PM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #88
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
...unfortunately there is little if any difference between "paying attention" and experienced rider senses to be of any significance there kip... Maybe you need to chill on the ham sandwiches if you are "feeling" the difference.

I'll admit I love my XC, but that love comes from riding plenty of other bikes and the distinguishing impression it has provided.

Sorry to interrupt your physics lesson...

(EDIT: you're a GS owner with prostate issues. Of course you feel everything)
My remark was that if YOU can't tell the difference in YOUR bike (ANY bike) between solo, and 2 up with luggage, you've never actually ridden a bike at all. Adding over 100 lbs to your loaded weight makes a huge difference in suspension compression and torque to weight ratio. On "your" Tiger, the torque divided by wieght nets about 20% less power per pound with an average passenger and luggage than it does solo.

Your assinine remarks about ham sandwitches have nothing to do with anyone's ability to tell if thier bike is carrying a passenger and luggage or not. FWIW, I'm a fit 6'-1" and 220 lbs and even if I weighed twice that I'd STILL know if somebody was on the back of the bike (both in acceleration and suspension). Anyone who thinks otherwise has never been on a bike before, and I'm confident you haven't.

Nothing wrong with my prostate, thanks for asking. The stock GS seat, OTOH, is a torture device.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #89
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
"your" Tiger, the torque divided by wieght nets about 20% less power per pound with an average passenger and luggage than it does solo.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has never been on a bike before, and I'm confident you haven't.

Besides I love men, arguing with them and ham sandwiches!!

Damn, my Tiger must be THAT great If I can't "Feel" the difference huh kip.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #90
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,814
STFU and quit bitching you FF's.

Taking a great thread and crapping all over it. GB will come along and purge you both.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote