Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #316
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,555
THe H quad is not hard to fly at all if you meet a few conditions:

- You need to practice with a toy to get a sense of the controls - I guess the Ladybug is good. I just had a toy helicopter (MCX2) and it was more than sufficient. Same is true for both my 13 year old daughter and 9 year old son - both of whom were quicker learners than I was.

- Make sure you are using the KK2 board on the quad, or some other board that has Self levelling. The KK2 board is only $20 and super easy to set up. However it is indefinitely on backorder and no one knows if it will become available again. (Supplier stopped making a critical component). Check Ebay - there are still some out there.

- Learning to fly without self level can be tough. The problem is that until you can tune the quad (P gains) it si really hard to fly, but you need to at least get close with SL off. This was the hardest part for me. Once I got in the ball park with my Pgains, I was able to control the craft with SL off, and able to fly it easily with SL. Same is true of my kids.

- I am using a very inexpensive TX - I doubt this has anything to do with the results you are getting.

Bottom line - if you practice on a toy, get an FC with SL, and get it tuned even close to ballpark, flying it will not be that difficult. I would not recommend getting into the hobby with an FC that does not have Self level. That can be hard.

I definitely would not throw more money at a Phantom until you really know whether you enjoy the hobby and have learned to fly. You will crash. Crashing an HQuad you built is OK - you know how to repair it, and it's easy to repair (for example I zip tie my motors to the arms. They come off during a bad crash and i can just do a field repair). Would hate to nose plant a Phantom... with an expensive machine you'd have to be so careful all the time - no fun in that. as soon as you get it up in the air, you are going to want to let it rip and try to fly it for real. That means pushing the envelope and eventually making a mistake - no way around it
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #317
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
Except don't get that one ^^

Get the original real Ladybird!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USPS-Ship-Mi...item3f1eeee303

It flies so much better than all the other little clones out there.. You won't be disappointed.
I started flying with a little quad called a "Jump Jet" from the UK. Nothing about it is automated so it really teaches you how to fly these things. Fortunately its very crashable. Unfortunately, the controller is infra-red, so its for indoor use only. But, a lot of domestic transmission devices will interfere with it.

Sadly theses aren't made anymore, so I have been looking for something to replace it to keep the skills up. If this Ladybird fits the bill I will buy one post haste!
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #318
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Great TED talk demonstrating the "athletic power of quadcopters"

http://www.ted.com/talks/raffaello_d...on__2013-06-11
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #319
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Great TED talk demonstrating the "athletic power of quadcopters"

http://www.ted.com/talks/raffaello_d...on__2013-06-11

That's exactly how I imagined my first quad flight would go

Seriously though, that was impressive!
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #320
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,666
My new Blade nQX!

My collection of multi and single rotor machines

DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #321
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,063
NQX? How does it compare to the MQX? I like that it has prop protectors. How beefy is the frame and booms?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #322
DakarNick
Swabee

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
NQX? How does it compare to the MQX? I like that it has prop protectors. How beefy is the frame and booms?
Edit: Don't pay attention to the thumbs down thing. I must have bumped it!

Yep, the new Nano! I was at a locksmith demo and decided to kill some time and hit the hobby shop on the way home. I hadn't been following any type of RC stuff in over a month so I didn't even know it was out. The LHS's very first shipment happened to come in that morning. Once I saw it, then a demo from the manager, I HAD to have it!

Anyway! It has stability mode and agility mode. This is accomplished via programming one of the Tx switches. On the DX7S it is the trainer switch.

Stability is self-leveling and agility is like the mQX, where it stays in the pitch/roll/yaw angle/rate you put it at. It is nice to have the option to switch between the two.

I, at first, wasn't a fan of the funny looking prop protectors but function over form! It will stick to the ceiling or hit objects without prop strikes. Of course, if it hits hard enough the little protectors will bend and give way.

The arms and frame are all one, solid, but flexible piece. They twist very easily but that means they'll bend before the break. The canopy is held on by two pins like the Blade Nano and Micro CPX helis. The board is the best part. TINY and light weight. The motors plug into the board instead of being directly soldered. It also comes with an extra pair of black and green props, a green canopy, a battery and USB charger.

It runs on a 1S 150mAh battery.

To compare, the green Traxxas QR-1 in the photo weighs 33 grams RTF with the 240mAh 1S battery. The Nano is a touch larger in width/length but weighs 18 grams RTF!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #323
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Edit: Don't pay attention to the thumbs down thing. I must have bumped it!

Yep, the new Nano! I was at a locksmith demo and decided to kill some time and hit the hobby shop on the way home. I hadn't been following any type of RC stuff in over a month so I didn't even know it was out. The LHS's very first shipment happened to come in that morning. Once I saw it, then a demo from the manager, I HAD to have it!

Anyway! It has stability mode and agility mode. This is accomplished via programming one of the Tx switches. On the DX7S it is the trainer switch.

Stability is self-leveling and agility is like the mQX, where it stays in the pitch/roll/yaw angle/rate you put it at. It is nice to have the option to switch between the two.

I, at first, wasn't a fan of the funny looking prop protectors but function over form! It will stick to the ceiling or hit objects without prop strikes. Of course, if it hits hard enough the little protectors will bend and give way.

The arms and frame are all one, solid, but flexible piece. They twist very easily but that means they'll bend before the break. The canopy is held on by two pins like the Blade Nano and Micro CPX helis. The board is the best part. TINY and light weight. The motors plug into the board instead of being directly soldered. It also comes with an extra pair of black and green props, a green canopy, a battery and USB charger.

It runs on a 1S 150mAh battery.

To compare, the green Traxxas QR-1 in the photo weighs 33 grams RTF with the 240mAh 1S battery. The Nano is a touch larger in width/length but weighs 18 grams RTF!
Thanks, Nick...I couldn't wait for your review, but I'm happy to hear from you. I watched a few videos and ordered it! Should have it Tuesday. I needed something to bug people with at my office. My old Air Hog heli at work doesn't cut it anymore.

Thanks!!!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #324
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Broke 2 more booms on my MQX tonight doing double flips. I need to find a cheaper alternative to the Blade booms.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 06-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #325
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Broke 2 more booms on my MQX tonight doing double flips. I need to find a cheaper alternative to the Blade booms.
Ouch, I have yet to break a boom doing flips with the M.

Here is a video of my Nano doing a flip indoors. Love this thing! Don't mind the pigsty apartment.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #326
Thinc2
Paciugo

I'm currently nearing the end of a build that I have a suspicion won't fly very well. Although the COG is fine, it is a bit heavy at the front, offset by battery weight biased towards the rear. Have a bad feeling this will make it fly like a pendulum...

Also, while relatively light (frame 250 grams for 10" props), it may have too much surface area and catch the wind.

I guess we'll see. Will post pics when done. If it's not done this weekend it will be another month before i can get back to it.

Still have my original HQuad as the backup though.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #327
DakarNick
Swabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I'm currently nearing the end of a build that I have a suspicion won't fly very well. Although the COG is fine, it is a bit heavy at the front, offset by battery weight biased towards the rear. Have a bad feeling this will make it fly like a pendulum...

Also, while relatively light (frame 250 grams for 10" props), it may have too much surface area and catch the wind.

I guess we'll see. Will post pics when done. If it's not done this weekend it will be another month before i can get back to it.

Still have my original HQuad as the backup though.
Looking forward to pics! As long as your CG is fine it should fly fine (excluding other factors). On my HT-FPV the Go Pro sits on the front which means the 2600mAh battery sticks out about 4" past the frame. It still flies well.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #328
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,683
Quad down in Turkey, used by demonstrators to film the police. The police shut it down with what appears a rubber bullet.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #329
Thinc2
Paciugo

Quote:
Looking forward to pics! As long as your CG is fine it should fly fine (excluding other factors). On my HT-FPV the Go Pro sits on the front which means the 2600mAh battery sticks out about 4" past the frame. It still flies well.
Well, here goes nothing :)

It's not ready to fly yet and time is short before I'm gone for the next+2 weeks (3 weekends...). Partly because I "have" to take the family to the South of France for 8 days - just outside of Cannes

Build so far - like I said - it may catch some wind...

It will run 10" props, 30 amp ESC's, 950KV motors and a KK2 FC. It will make orientation easy - especially if I add some LED's.

It is pretty light - about 240 grams for the frame. And it has a nice platform up front for the 808 nr.16 that is in the mail from Asia.

It feels tiny compared to the Hquad which swings 11" props:
Old 06-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #330
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Did you change anything in the TX to get those roll rates? On my DX8 I have the defaults and at 100% rates I can't get enough roll to flip it at indoor heights....yet.

Quote:
Ouch, I have yet to break a boom doing flips with the M.

Here is a video of my Nano doing a flip indoors. Love this thing! Don't mind the pigsty apartment.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: