User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #31
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,065
Here's a different lens you can install to remove the fish-eye. There are probably others as well.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 09:09 AM
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #32
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,547
Scary to think that there are already drone (RPVs really) aircraft that size that carry a handgrenade sized warhead and can hit an individual from several miles away. So far they are only fixed wings (Switchblade and BattleHawk) but still... Even a smallish quadcopter could carry a miniature charge that fires an explosively formed projectile. I predict that in a few years from now there will be some very very nasty little machines out there ...
mhpr262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #33
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
Scary to think that there are already drone (RPVs really) aircraft that size that carry a handgrenade sized warhead and can hit an individual from several miles away. So far they are only fixed wings (Switchblade and BattleHawk) but still... Even a smallish quadcopter could carry a miniature charge that fires an explosively formed projectile. I predict that in a few years from now there will be some very very nasty little machines out there ...
Our local Lockheed plant has been flying unmanned helis for quite some time now. They're bigger than the Yamaha Rmax which has been around for a few years at least.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #34
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Video I've seen from the 2 and higher seems pretty good to me. Got any video from yours? What cam is that on there now?
That's the stock Fatshark Preadator FPV cam.. I think it's VGA res. I don't record off that, I jsut use that for the FPV with the goggles. The GoPro 2 is just hanging to record the HD video.

Here's a couple videos, still getting the hang of this, my first quad after the micro Ladybird to practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlMLP1SPDDg&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHDAY7qOwrc&hd=1
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #35
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
That's the stock Fatshark Preadator FPV cam.. I think it's VGA res. I don't record off that, I jsut use that for the FPV with the goggles. The GoPro 2 is just hanging to record the HD video.

Here's a couple videos, still getting the hang of this, my first quad after the micro Ladybird to practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlMLP1SPDDg&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHDAY7qOwrc&hd=1
Watch those utility wires on the second one!!!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #36
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,668
I picked up another mQX. The one I had was having FET issues on the second board. So, instead of buying a $50-60 board I just bought another BNF for $120 and now have a bunch of spare parts.

No flying for me today. They're both packed in a custom box and in my duffle bag. Heading to the midwest for 10 days on Amtrak tonight
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #37
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 609
DakarNick - you can get those FET's off ebay for like a buck apiece and solder them on..

Or if you don't solder, there's guys on RCgroups that will repair those boards for about $20-25.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #38
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
DakarNick - you can get those FET's off ebay for like a buck apiece and solder them on..

Or if you don't solder, there's guys on RCgroups that will repair those boards for about $20-25.
Thanks! Yeah, I know about soldering, that's what I did with the old board. I took a FET off the new and soldered onto the old. I don't recall if the FET I soldered is the one going bad but I do know it's not the motor.

I can somewhat justify the new purchase:

Brand new
I needed a new canopy
I needed a couple motors
I needed a flying model today so I could take it with me on vacation

DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I picked up another mQX. The one I had was having FET issues on the second board. So, instead of buying a $50-60 board I just bought another BNF for $120 and now have a bunch of spare parts.

No flying for me today. They're both packed in a custom box and in my duffle bag. Heading to the midwest for 10 days on Amtrak tonight
I like my MQX...I like it a lot more now that I have it bound to a DX7 instead of the little TX they gave me.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #40
OldBarKeep
On the Group W Bench

Oddometer: 201
So I am intrigued! My son and I have flown the $20 copters that last 90 days or so until the battery is useless and unrepairable. This seems like the next step. Would this one be a good intro into quads or is there a better choice?

Walkera QR LadyBird V2 Mini Quadcopter W/ Devo 4 Radio, RTF

I think we will probably build something this spring. But want to learn on something that is crashable...

Thanks!!
OldBarKeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #41
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,555
After all my searching I've yet to find a "build a quad for Dummies" or Quad 101 - something that introduces the basic concepts on how to build a quad.

Anyone have a link?

(consequently i will probably end up with a kit).

Also - would love some info on the gopro piece. Do you film the entire time or can you start/stop remotely?
Is it possible to see what you are filming while you are flying - if so, how does that work?

It's this type of super basic stuff i can't seem to find online...
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #42
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBarKeep View Post
So I am intrigued! My son and I have flown the $20 copters that last 90 days or so until the battery is useless and unrepairable. This seems like the next step. Would this one be a good intro into quads or is there a better choice?

Walkera QR LadyBird V2 Mini Quadcopter W/ Devo 4 Radio, RTF

I think we will probably build something this spring. But want to learn on something that is crashable...

Thanks!!
The Ladybird get's good reviews as does the Blade MQX. I can attest to the crashworthyness of the MQX as it's hit nearly everything in my house and still flies like new. I'm sure someone else will extoll the virtues of the Ladybird as well.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #43
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
After all my searching I've yet to find a "build a quad for Dummies" or Quad 101 - something that introduces the basic concepts on how to build a quad.

Anyone have a link?

(consequently i will probably end up with a kit).

Also - would love some info on the gopro piece. Do you film the entire time or can you start/stop remotely?
Is it possible to see what you are filming while you are flying - if so, how does that work?

It's this type of super basic stuff i can't seem to find online...
Here's a super simple "H" quad build that anyone can do and be successful

http://flitetest.com/articles/H_Quad_Scratch_Build

GoPro sells a wireless remote that will start and stop the video, but it only works on the newer cameras.
Hobbyking has lots of options on kits and parts. Shipping is strong, prices are super cheap and quality is generally pretty good. They also sell RTF (ready to fly) stuff, but check the reviews before you buy.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #44
Thinc2
Paciugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Here's a super simple "H" quad build that anyone can do and be successful

http://flitetest.com/articles/H_Quad_Scratch_Build

GoPro sells a wireless remote that will start and stop the video, but it only works on the newer cameras.
Hobbyking has lots of options on kits and parts. Shipping is strong, prices are super cheap and quality is generally pretty good. They also sell RTF (ready to fly) stuff, but check the reviews before you buy.
thanks, that is a super helpful video. I want to stay away from RTF so that I can fix things when they break…

I still have some confusion about the electronics, but overall it helped clear up a lot of the questions. this was really a good start.

How does the system compensate for the added weight of the camera that's not centered exactly in the middle of the copter?

So with the GoPro you can start and stop it remotely, but you can't see what it is actually filming. Basically you kind of hope it's pointing more or less at what you are trying to film?

Thinc2 screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 10:20 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
Thinc2
Paciugo

can we get this thread moved into Shiny Things?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: