Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #46
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
thanks, that is a super helpful video. I want to stay away from RTF so that I can fix things when they break…

I still have some confusion about the electronics, but overall it helped clear up a lot of the questions. this was really a good start.

How does the system compensate for the added weight of the camera that's not centered exactly in the middle of the copter?

So with the GoPro you can start and stop it remotely, but you can't see what it is actually filming. Basically you kind of hope it's pointing more or less at what you are trying to film?
Bought the new Hero3 and have been playing with the remote as well as the iphone app. With the iphone app you can see what the camera see's but once you start recording that goes away. The GoPro remote and the app only has a range of a few hundred feet. Actually more like 50-100' when I tested it out. The app works great for aiming the camera before hitting the record function but isn't really going to do what you want on the drone.

I have become our small company's photo and video person only because I love doing it. having the ability to fly over a project and capturing video and photo's would be huge. A drone won't be in our budget for a long time though
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #47
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,235
Quote:
thanks, that is a super helpful video. I want to stay away from RTF so that I can fix things when they break…

I still have some confusion about the electronics, but overall it helped clear up a lot of the questions. this was really a good start.

How does the system compensate for the added weight of the camera that's not centered exactly in the middle of the copter?

So with the GoPro you can start and stop it remotely, but you can't see what it is actually filming. Basically you kind of hope it's pointing more or less at what you are trying to film?
You still need to balance as best you can front/back and side to side.

The GoPro has a very wide angle lens so if it's pointing at something...generally you'll see everything around it too. It's about the same angle as your eyes.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #48
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Bought the new Hero3 and have been playing with the remote as well as the iphone app. With the iphone app you can see what the camera see's but once you start recording that goes away. The GoPro remote and the app only has a range of a few hundred feet. Actually more like 50-100' when I tested it out. The app works great for aiming the camera before hitting the record function but isn't really going to do what you want on the drone.

I have become our small company's photo and video person only because I love doing it. having the ability to fly over a project and capturing video and photo's would be huge. A drone won't be in our budget for a long time though
You could build an H quad for less than $300 including video.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #49
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,298
My Go Pro is set as if I was in the cockpit. Looking straight forward, no tilt. Where ever the quad points, it points. My 2600mAh batteries only last about 4 minutes so my videos are a max of four minutes plus a few seconds on each end before I take off and after I land. I was doing 2-minute flights with 2-minute recordings on one flight battery. This keeps them shorter and not so boring.

I do not have a wireless remote for start/stop. I just start it before I arm the quad and stop after I disarm it. Without FPV I (obviously) only fly line of sight so I know what I am recording.

Center of gravity is pretty simple on a quad. It is at the intersection of the four arms (or three if it is a tri-copter. This is also where most flight control boards will need to be placed. If you're not 100% on CG the weighted motors will compensate for the most part but a good CG is always best.

In fact, the HT-FPV that I fly has a long battery tray to adjust for CG while using the Go Pro.

For FPV, First Person View flying, just imagine a closed-circuit video system. That's all it is. It goes Onboard Camera to Transmitter to Transmitter Antenna and then via radio signal to Ground Receiver Antenna to Receiver to Screen (or goggles).

While the pilot is sending radio signals from the aircraft transmitter to the aircraft receiver, the FPV transmitter is sending video signals from the aircraft to the ground receiver.

The Go Pro outputs live video feed while recording to the SD card. So, after you do your FPV flight you can download the recorded video for future playback.

But like was mentioned, the Go Pro is a decent FPV camera and there are much better ones. Some quads have a dedicated camera for FPV and a Go Pro for recording.
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #50
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
You could build an H quad for less than $300 including video.
I'm listening

Do you have any links for the kits. There seems be be a plethora of websites when searching H quad kits. Just pick one? or is there a popular company out there?

Thanks, looks like I have a new hobby. My wife will be thrilled!!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #51
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
I'm listening

Do you have any links for the kits. There seems be be a plethora of websites when searching H quad kits. Just pick one? or is there a popular company out there?

Thanks, looks like I have a new hobby. My wife will be thrilled!!
Check the video I posted a few posts back. Everything you need is there.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #52
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 518
The ladybird V2 is a great quad to start on! I started on one and I love it and still fly it. You can get for $60 shipped off ebay.

And what Dakar said. CG is important. Ideally you will use zero transmitter trim.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #53
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
The ladybird V2 is a great quad to start on! I started on one and I love it and still fly it. You can get for $60 shipped off ebay.

And what Dakar said. CG is important. Ideally you will use zero transmitter trim.
that makes sense. But on the H Quad, and also on Dakar's it looks like the camera is sitting right on the nose. Is that weight being compensated by trim or are the batteries positioned off-center as a counterbalance?

I am pretty proficient with the MCX micro copter. Do I need to invest in a cheap Quadra copter like the ladybird before I try to fly home build?

Do I need to use a sim before I fly the H Quad, or do it is build it and go for it based on my experience with the MCX?

I warned you guys I had a lot of newbie questions
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #54
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
that makes sense. But on the H Quad, and also on Dakar's it looks like the camera is sitting right on the nose. Is that weight being compensated by trim or are the batteries positioned off-center as a counterbalance?

I am pretty proficient with the MCX micro copter. Do I need to invest in a cheap Quadra copter like the ladybird before I try to fly home build?

Do I need to use a sim before I fly the H Quad, or do it is build it and go for it based on my experience with the MCX?

I warned you guys I had a lot of newbie questions
If you can fly a helo, nose in hover and more you'll probably have little trouble with a quad.

With anything that flies...get the CG/Balance right and you can fly most anything.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #55
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,298
Quote:

Yes, camera weight is offset by moving the battery aft OR fitting a larger battery.

The mCX is self-righting. The mQX and some others are not. The new mini Heli-Max SQ1 is self-righting also (from what I have heard). It returns to level after centering the stick. I find nose-in with my quads easier than helicopters. But that's me.

I would get a smaller quad just because you can fly it indoors and practice without too much damage. Plus, if it's too windy or cold to fly the big one it's nice to have an indoor.

I didn't learn on a sim. It may be more upfront cost than an aircraft but you don't have to worry about breaking anything!
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #56
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Check the video I posted a few posts back. Everything you need is there.
Missed that. Thanks!

Looks like a pretty simple build. Starting with nothing (no transmitter) how much would I have into this build? My old Futaba transmitter is only a two channel I used back when I was into building boats, so I'd need a new one.

This looks like fun and already has me thinking of ways to make a little money as a side business.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #57
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
This thread is also really informative:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...h-Build/page17
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #58
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 4,603
any of you guys have some upskirt video?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #59
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Missed that. Thanks!

Looks like a pretty simple build. Starting with nothing (no transmitter) how much would I have into this build? My old Futaba transmitter is only a two channel I used back when I was into building boats, so I'd need a new one.

This looks like fun and already has me thinking of ways to make a little money as a side business.
I have a nice 7 channel Futaba computer radio for sale now in the flea market here for $75. Or, you can spend around $150 for a used Spektrum, but 72Mhz is actually better for distance and since hardly anyone flies on that anymore there isn't much worry of interference like with 2.4

Just go to Hobbyking.com and add the stuff he spells out in the build to your cart and you'll see. The motors are around $11, ESCs are $12, KK2 board is $30 and the battery is $30 maybe?

Be aware that the FAA has sort of put commercial use of these on hold. Sort of....be careful as the fines can be immense.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #60
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
I have a nice 7 channel Futaba computer radio for sale now in the flea market here for $75. Or, you can spend around $150 for a used Spektrum, but 72Mhz is actually better for distance and since hardly anyone flies on that anymore there isn't much worry of interference like with 2.4

Just go to Hobbyking.com and add the stuff he spells out in the build to your cart and you'll see. The motors are around $11, ESCs are $12, KK2 board is $30 and the battery is $30 maybe?

Be aware that the FAA has sort of put commercial use of these on hold. Sort of....be careful as the fines can be immense.

God, I can feel myself being pulled into this thread

Must resist!!!

No new hobbies, no new hobbies, no new hobbies

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: