ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #76
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
The $129 version doesn't include a receiver that will go in/on the model you're flying. The MQX, etc all come with built in receivers so yes..it's all you'll need.
But wouldn't I need the receiver if I build my own quad - so should I buy a different DX6i now? Or is the receiver usually bought on it's own anyway when you build from scratch?

Does the $159 unit from .com include a receiver - I can't tell the difference between this and the euro 99 one...
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #77
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
But wouldn't I need the receiver if I build my own quad - so should I buy a different DX6i now? Or is the receiver usually bought on it's own anyway when you build from scratch?

Does the $159 unit from .com include a receiver - I can't tell the difference between this and the euro 99 one...
you can buy a receiver for $6-$20 many places online. The receiver I just bought for my Hex cost $12 I think at Hobby King.

I'd just buy the cheaper radio and then get a receiver when you need it. You should consider the DX7 as well. A little more money, but the feature set is better. There are online comparisons that should clarify it for you. You may not need the added features of the 7 now, but you might want them later. I bought a used DX7 (not the S) for $100 locally and I'm pleased with it.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #78
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,555
Thanks - really appreciate the advice.
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #79
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler
 
Barnstormer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Oddometer: 2,269
I went to an office party for some folks that play with some fun stuff. Now I've got the bug.
Damn.


Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #80
Saget
Not quite a full house
 
Saget's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere near Seattle
Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
I went to an office party for some folks that play with some fun stuff. Now I've got the bug.
Damn.
Resistance is futile. You are being assimilated.
__________________
_______________________________
http://gbergimages.smugmug.com
Saget's Rides:
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #81
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,746
Really hard to stay away from this thread. I've watched each one of the flitetest videos and looked at all the parts list links. Seems pretty straight forward for the H Quad build. If I'm not mistaken the single most expensive item will be the transmitter but looks like a decent unit can be had for a few hundred bucks or less.
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #82
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Really hard to stay away from this thread. I've watched each one of the flitetest videos and looked at all the parts list links. Seems pretty straight forward for the H Quad build. If I'm not mistaken the single most expensive item will be the transmitter but looks like a decent unit can be had for a few hundred bucks or less.
There are some pretty inexpensive transmitters out there...and they get some pretty good reviews.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Mode_2_.html
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #83
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
There are some pretty inexpensive transmitters out there...and they get some pretty good reviews.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Mode_2_.html
Wow! Are these really any good? So inexpensive.

This hobby just keeps getting better and better
__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #84
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Wow! Are these really any good? So inexpensive.

This hobby just keeps getting better and better
Read the reviews and decide for yourself. I'd try one at that price. I found a used Specktrum otherwise I was going to try a Turnigy.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #85
OldBarKeep
On the Group W Bench
 
OldBarKeep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Thornton, New Hampshire
Oddometer: 201
So.... I bought the QR Ladybird with a devention Devo 4 control. I can't get it to sync. Youtube has nothing and I can't figure it out. I follow the directions but it won't change the tone or blinking lights. What am I doing wrong? I know it has to be easy...
Thanks!
OldBarKeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #86
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBarKeep View Post
So.... I bought the QR Ladybird with a devention Devo 4 control. I can't get it to sync. Youtube has nothing and I can't figure it out. I follow the directions but it won't change the tone or blinking lights. What am I doing wrong? I know it has to be easy...
Thanks!
How close to the LB are you when you're trying to bind? Try starting the binding sequence and then move away about 6-10 feet. I have to so this with my DX7 and the MQX for it to bind properly.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #87
OldBarKeep
On the Group W Bench
 
OldBarKeep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Thornton, New Hampshire
Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
How close to the LB are you when you're trying to bind? Try starting the binding sequence and then move away about 6-10 feet. I have to so this with my DX7 and the MQX for it to bind properly.
Got it, thanks!! I have it bound but am having trouble getting it to hover. I am working. I can get it off the ground but it is tail heavy. I will get!!
OldBarKeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #88
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBarKeep View Post
Got it, thanks!! I have it bound but am having trouble getting it to hover. I am working. I can get it off the ground but it is tail heavy. I will get!!
You may have to adjust the battery position (if it's adjustable) or the trims on the radio.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #89
OldBarKeep
On the Group W Bench
 
OldBarKeep's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Thornton, New Hampshire
Oddometer: 201
I unplugged everything again and let it reset. It now hovers and flies (and crashes!!!) I think this could get fun....
OldBarKeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #90
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBarKeep View Post
I unplugged everything again and let it reset. It now hovers and flies (and crashes!!!) I think this could get fun....
It's fun until you start nose-in hover....then it gets frustrating!
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014