User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #61
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Somewhere here on ADV there is a quote that goes something like this:

It's better to ride a small machine hard than a big machine easy.

There are many who would argue that the DR650 is a small machine and the WR is too small. One of these will suit me just fine. I'd like to try each. No dealer will allow that. Maybe I'll get an opportunity at one of the DS rides this spring.

8gv screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:18 AM
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #62
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I think in your original post you said you were over 200#, I would suggest you find a WRR to test drive before making a final decision. I found the WRR lacking in power unless it was really wound up. I weight in at 163 or so.
This is a valid point considering my body mass index is Milk Duds.

I've been riding a KLR250 for three years now. Loaded up for a trip it stil hauls me where needed. Better suspension, newer bike reliability and a little more zip is all I'm seeking. It's not that tough an act to follow.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #63
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Wrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I'm 6'4"/250lbs and the WRR pulls me fine. Yes it likes to be revved, but for a 250, its a pretty peppy machine. Not sure if you rode a stock one, but with some gearing changes and a few mods, it totally changes the bike.
With 10K plus on the bike, including coast to coast\TAT and a lot of single track at or above 7,000 feet, I think I gave it a fair run--yes with just about every gearing option available.
It will do much better in GA at sea level it also seemed OK in the north GA mountains. Put it at 10,000 plus feet where it gives up 20% of its power and it gets doggy, especially at 300 lbs plus wet weight.
It ate chain sliders and not in a uniform fashion. Other than tires it was maintenance free. You must have the bigger tank for any long distance work--or be a really good planner.
As I said in an earlier post I would take it on the TAT again over the DR650 due to weight alone as I ride solo.
If he would have asked which bike I would take if I were riding the TAT and then ride it back to the east coast I would take the DR--the WRR is just not--in my opinion--much more than a peppy 250 and then only when wound out.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #64
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Yes. I studied the specs and concluded it was not for me. Very nice bike at a very attractive price. For the price of a we WR you can get almost one and a half CRF's.

Keeping things Japanese, the best power to weight ratio seems to come from three bikes:
WR250...light, tall and with an 11.8:1 compression ratio, powerful.
DRZ400...heavier, tall and with an 11.3:1 compression ratio, powerful.
DR650...heavy but lower, powerful via displacement, abiet detuned displacement of unknown compression ratio.

The CRF is heavy at 320# and has a compression ratio of 10.7:1, lower power than the others.

If the Mfg's would list HP and torque in their specs this analysis would be more credible. As it stands, I only have compression ratio as an indicator of power. It's not perfect but it's all I've got.

Price does matter. A used DR is pretty cost effective but I think the bike's weight would limit its use. It could be fine for the TAT but I wouldn't want to single track it. Keeping two bikes seems to be out of the question as I have a fleet other toys hanging around.
All your listed 250's are relatively heavy. A Stock DR650 has just 37 HP at the rear wheel. Open it up a bit, you can get close to 40 HP ... and still get 50 MPG. I'm guessing DR650 comp. ratio at around 9.5 to 1 (more of less).

The DR650 listed dry weight is 324 lbs. True wet weight as listed by MCN, who actually TEST and WEIGH bikes, is 367 lbs.
YES, heavier than either of the 250's ... but not that much. With good suspension and a few simple mods ... the DR will really surprise you. Best LD travel ADV bike out there, IMHO.

Trust me. I also have a WR250F(240 lbs. Wet) off road Race Bike, so I've ridden them back to back and compared the two. Off road a well set up DR is not half bad ... once you get used to it and adapt to the extra weight. No, you can't do A level Enduro single track ... but most 2 track, easy single track, Desert sand and rough Desert tracks it does very well ... even loaded up. All this and easy cruising at 80 mph on highway.

My DR650 in Baja, 2007.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #65
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
...All this and easy cruising at 80 mph on highway...
Agreed.

(And the CRF250L is butt ugly, but that's a matter of taste )

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #66
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
With 10K plus on the bike, including coast to coast\TAT and a lot of single track at or above 7,000 feet, I think I gave it a fair run--yes with just about every gearing option available.
It will do much better in GA at sea level it also seemed OK in the north GA mountains. Put it at 10,000 plus feet where it gives up 20% of its power and it gets doggy, especially at 300 lbs plus wet weight.
It ate chain sliders and not in a uniform fashion. Other than tires it was maintenance free. You must have the bigger tank for any long distance work--or be a really good planner.
As I said in an earlier post I would take it on the TAT again over the DR650 due to weight alone as I ride solo.
If he would have asked which bike I would take if I were riding the TAT and then ride it back to the east coast I would take the DR--the WRR is just not--in my opinion--much more than a peppy 250 and then only when wound out.
Yeah, true at higher elevations, I expect it to get a bit sluggish, but then again, I'm riding with my wife so I'm not going to be in a big hurry anyways.

We'll see how it handles me out west this summer.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #67
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Side by side taste test...

Today I stopped by the local bike shop for a screw. They didn't have it. They did have four DS bikes lined up outside.
KLR650
DR650
DRZ400
WR250R
It was raining so I didn't climb aboard any.
The KLR has never been on my list.
The Yamaha was high but felt light.
The DRZ was high and felt top heavy.
The DR was low and in the first 20* off vertical felt manageable. I didn't try to tilt it any more than that lest I drop it.

There is really nothing new in this post. It's all been said before.

The DR650 was a new '12 priced at $5,999.

The others had no prices.

The trail boss for the Berkshire Trail Riders Assoc. was in the shop ordering something. Their rides are great.

I'm kind of glad they didn't have the screw I needed. Now I can go to the next bike shop for it.

Spring is coming. We're all gonna make it
Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #68
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
I weigh 240# with gear on. My camping etc stuff weighs 45#. I prefer a lighter bike. I prefer a lower seat. The DRZ400 is both heavy and tall so it's not for me.

Is there enough rough stuff to require the off road capabilities of the WR? Do the long stretches of dirt roads and paved roads beg for a DR650?
the TAT is not difficult, its just long.
get the DR650. you will be happy with it.

have a blast man!

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #69
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
the TAT is not difficult, its just long.
get the DR650. you will be happy with it.

have a blast man!
FWIW...

This is the advice I have taken.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #70
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,490
Now that you're done vacationing and feasting off the fat of the land, you ought to bring that up north for a couple of days. It's way too clean.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #71
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

I never ride it. I'm too busy setting it up for the TAT.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #72
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,490
TAT? Heh. All you need is a credit card and a strong constitution.

Quote:
I never ride it. I'm too busy setting it up for the TAT.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote