ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #586
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
.... DJ at it's industry best, giving people only tidbits, as they deems it necessary. I think too, that the PC-5 would have great potential, if they did not just send it to market with most of it's features inop in the BMW app. Perhaps when something else becomes available for less money working better, they will wake up...... then again.....perhaps not.
+1 Erling.

DJ's decision not to focus on BMSK has nothing to do with it being "too sophisticated" etc.. the Harley Delphi ECM isn't exactly stone age technology either. They focus on it, because H-D is where the money is at, at the moment. The Delphi ECM uses closed loop and open loop areas, knock detection, fuel trims, just like the BMSK. If there were a significant enough demand, they would offer it.

As a side note, Jamie Long at Fuel Moto, is an excellent resource for tuning advice, and offers some of the best pricing and post purchase support of DJ products that I've found. www.fuelmoto.com.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #587
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
+1 Erling.

DJ's decision not to focus on BMSK has nothing to do with it being "too sophisticated" etc.. the Harley Delphi ECM isn't exactly stone age technology either. They focus on it, because H-D is where the money is at, at the moment. The Delphi ECM uses closed loop and open loop areas, knock detection, fuel trims, just like the BMSK. If there were a significant enough demand, they would offer it.

As a side note, Jamie Long at Fuel Moto, is an excellent resource for tuning advice, and offers some of the best pricing and post purchase support of DJ products that I've found. www.fuelmoto.com.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I fully agree with your assessment.
The next month will be interesting, as in the next week I will dyno the bike, this time here locally at MSD hq, as a baseline. I will then remove the PC-5/AT combo, and try another Application. If the dyno likes the numbers, after break in, then the pc-5/at will end up in the flea market. The interesting part is where to put the eggs...... Right now the bike simply rips. It runs fantastic, awesome power through out the entire range, but at the expense of efficiency. My gut feeling after months of trials, I personally thinks that it is over fueled, to a point that it cannot be corrected in either the base map, or afr table. I think the key lies in the time factor it takes the AT to correct the BMSK, and the BMSK being confused, and alone in a dark place...... ha ha.... could't resist..... and they are chasing each other. With only 3 hp gain after pc-5/AT, that simply is not good enough for me as mileage stabilized 7 mpg lower than the indicated mpg..... simply not acceptable. I realize that for some that is not important, and that is great, but not for me.
That said we shall see how it goes. Look for a new write up, with a different title.
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #588
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 390
Will look for your results with great interest! I very much would like to put a cat less set of headers on my bike, and dyno tune it, but I'm being a chicken, and will not make any radical changes until my warranty expires. Theoretically, the Magnusson-Moss Act should cover blatant warrantee refusals, should something go wrong, unrelated to my tinkering; but it would suck to have the motor crap the bed, and have BMW say "too bad, your fault". For now, I will monitor via GS911, and possibly a WB AFR gauge, and try to learn a few things.

Good luck on the dyno tune session; hope it works out well for you. Also, a big thanks for sharing the info, I know from experience that it does not come cheaply!

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #589
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Will look for your results with great interest! I very much would like to put a cat less set of headers on my bike, and dyno tune it, but I'm being a chicken, and will not make any radical changes until my warranty expires. Theoretically, the Magnusson-Moss Act should cover blatant warrantee refusals, should something go wrong, unrelated to my tinkering; but it would suck to have the motor crap the bed, and have BMW say "too bad, your fault". For now, I will monitor via GS911, and possibly a WB AFR gauge, and try to learn a few things.

Good luck on the dyno tune session; hope it works out well for you. Also, a big thanks for sharing the info, I know from experience that it does not come cheaply!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.....
I was hesitant first as well, but the poor performance with the motor trailside made me jump. That along with a good tuner/friend. Unfortunately he had little experience with the BMSK, and we were both clueless regarding the DJ 8GS APP shortcomings. During my testing since this was installed, I did learn a lot though.

One..... I would never put headers+ open pipe without some form of enrichment, simply too lean.

Two..... I would not invest in the DJ/AT combo with stock exhaust system. I would be worried with perhaps plugging of the CAT chasing power.

Normally I would think the Magnusson-Moss act would stand, but I think that the DJ install would be an easy way for the manufacture to wash their hands, as you are tinkering with the motor heavily. I think there now are enough evidence, not just in this thread, that there are clear cut benefits to a small enrichment to the 8GS, and safe to do so.
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #590
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Thanks Jeff.....
I was hesitant first as well, but the poor performance with the motor trailside made me jump. That along with a good tuner/friend. Unfortunately he had little experience with the BMSK, and we were both clueless regarding the DJ 8GS APP shortcomings. During my testing since this was installed, I did learn a lot though.

One..... I would never put headers+ open pipe without some form of enrichment, simply too lean.

Two..... I would not invest in the DJ/AT combo with stock exhaust system. I would be worried with perhaps plugging of the CAT chasing power.

Normally I would think the Magnusson-Moss act would stand, but I think that the DJ install would be an easy way for the manufacture to wash their hands, as you are tinkering with the motor heavily. I think there now are enough evidence, not just in this thread, that there are clear cut benefits to a small enrichment to the 8GS, and safe to do so.


Couldn't agree more. I'll have to wait and see if the low speed shortcomings make me crack before the warrantee period expires, or theres a way to enrichen discretely. :)

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #591
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post


Couldn't agree more. I'll have to wait and see if the low speed shortcomings make me crack before the warrantee period expires, or theres a way to enrichen discretely. :)

Jeff
Yeppers...... I fully understand. When you stand at the edge looking down the river your about to jump in, one cannot help thinking about the rocks submerged, that you cannot see. In this case, I think the water is deep enough...... On the next unit install...... We shall see.....
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #592
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 390
:)
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #593
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
Went to trace the local dyno operators down, here locally. I was told that MSD ignition could do it, but they say they cant, and only other guy is a dynojet dealer, and he started to go on about how great their product was.....etc... etc.... So it became obvious that it was not going to work. Maybe time for another trip up north to Denver is in order..... Never got to try the intake side........ Hmmmmmm.
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #594
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
So I removed the DJ PC-5/AT combo to test another system. It can bee seen here....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933821

One thing I noticed, is that with the DJ wideband O2 bung..... It was full of soot, indicating a too rich mixture imho.




I will now focus some time with the other system, to compare......
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #595
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
So back on track.... I found that the difference in what the DJ/AT added in many of the boxes was capped on the ceiling of 25%, that meant if AT were to uphold the target AFR, it actually were in the need of more than 25%..... Or was it.....???? That is the question, as I had very clear indication that it was running rich.... perhaps quite a lot richer that the target 13.2-14.0 it was supposed to be, as indicating by the wideband sensor removed.
Reason that I mention this, is the overall fuel consumption increase ( which was not metered on the computer) was calculated at 15-20%. I came to that conclusion by observing a few fill ups, and calculated the mileage.....compared that to what the computer said. And I saw from 7-9 mpg difference, at a mileage per gallon of around the number 50....... so that is about 14-18% overall.

DJ PC-5/AT wide band O2 sensor removed......




Next to the stock narrow band O2 sensor just removed from the stock headers.....
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #596
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Zoetermeer, Netherlands
Oddometer: 123
Looks like my fuel eco is getting low and lower. Bike still said im doing around 40 miles/gallon (us) but i am doing 30 miles/gallon (us) over the last 2 tanks, I have actually slowed down my riding too because of the winter weather. Last winter my average was 40 miles/gallon (us).
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #597
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
Looks like my fuel eco is getting low and lower. Bike still said im doing around 40 miles/gallon (us) but i am doing 30 miles/gallon (us) over the last 2 tanks, I have actually slowed down my riding too because of the winter weather. Last winter my average was 40 miles/gallon (us).
Wow..... you are even lower that I was. never the less, that is what made me look else where. I have no real answers of what is happening, except my guesses that the BMSK and PC-5/AT do not work well with each other. No body really knows. Many have guesses, and rather good ones, but no buddy really knows.
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #598
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Zoetermeer, Netherlands
Oddometer: 123
Yea, will might have a go at a reverse install soon aswell, see if i can get some money back on the pc5 sell online!
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #599
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: El Paso,NM
Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtw View Post
Yea, will might have a go at a reverse install soon aswell, see if i can get some money back on the pc5 sell online!
I am cautiously optimistic with the other fueler, that I am testing right now, but only time will tell, as this was great in the beginning, until the fuel mileage tanked. With that bad mileage, bike ran awesome, from the beginning, and that did not change as mileage went down the hill, so I knew it was just wasted fuel.
__________________


Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #600
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer
 
guzzimike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Them Thar Hills WA Australia
Oddometer: 1,375
I have a PC5/AT sitting in a box in my shed. I fitted it at the same time as the Arrow full exhaust, took it off after a short while and went back to stock ( not the exhaust, just the PC5) The fuel consumption was crap, and I did have it dyno'd by someone who knew what they where doing. I have no definitive figures but at around 120km/hr I used all 36 litres in the main and TT tank in just about 600km. It also didn't seem to make any difference to the way the bike ran.
__________________
Armageddon Was Yesterday, Today We Have a Problem

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683


Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014