User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
fawudd OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 106
Question Touratech Dual Headlight

I am looking for a Touratech dual headlight setup for my R100GSPD. Are they still available anywhere ? Is there another manufacturer ? Thanks...

fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,135
Easier and cheaper to put a relay in the original system, and/or fit a couple of LED spotties.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawudd View Post
I am looking for a Touratech dual headlight setup for my R100GSPD. Are they still available anywhere ? Is there another manufacturer ? Thanks...
I dont think so, I was having a look recently as mine is broken but they arent on the website any more and I got the idea from googling things that they are discontinued.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 850
Ive got one

If you need, still new with instruction sheet, never installed.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Easier and cheaper to put a relay in the original system, and/or fit a couple of LED spotties.
Please elaborate David,what about the high/low beam function.I bought a dual headlight system for my PD but its just a little too big to fit in the square opening.The old square glass headlight is broken and I'm detemined to not fit another one.I hate square headlights.

John
Velocipede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,135
If a relay is fitted, it just brightens up the headlight considerably and has no effect on high and low beam; I never had it done to my bike as a +50 H4 bulb was adequate for the night riding I do.

I found the square headlight on my 1100GS gave an excellent beam spread when travelling on a straight road, don't know if the PD light is the same part number.

If you are determined to not replace the square glass, you don't have many options, the twin headlight TT lights may be all there is. Note that the TT lights have 35 watt bulbs and the reflector is plastic, so will not handle the heat of increased wattage.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Twin headlight Ernie
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,387
Headlight

I have the Touratech dual headlight setup on my GS and have been disappointed with it. The reflectors are poor quality and just don't throw as much light as I had hoped. It's also much harder to change out a burned out bulb on than the stock setup. The only real advantage so far is having a spare headlight on those rare times that one bulb burns out. The stock 55/60 H4 bulbs are available just about anywhere. The Touratech uses 35/35 watt and are tough to find. The bike shops want a premium price for them. I ordered six of them off the web last time and got them for less than half the price that our local bike shops want.
I added a set of Piaa aux lights that have been a huge improvement. I leave them on all the time. I think the money would be best spent on a pair of quality LED lights than on the Touratech set. 2HE

My Smugmug:
http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Dakota Motorsports
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin headlight Ernie View Post
I have the Touratech dual headlight setup on my GS and have been disappointed with it. The reflectors are poor quality and just don't throw as much light as I had hoped. It's also much harder to change out a burned out bulb on than the stock setup. The only real advantage so far is having a spare headlight on those rare times that one bulb burns out. The stock 55/60 H4 bulbs are available just about anywhere. The Touratech uses 35/35 watt and are tough to find. The bike shops want a premium price for them. I ordered six of them off the web last time and got them for less than half the price that our local bike shops want.
I added a set of Piaa aux lights that have been a huge improvement. I leave them on all the time. I think the money would be best spent on a pair of quality LED lights than on the Touratech set. 2HE

I've got the twin light kit from TT as well. Bought it 10 yrs ago from a former dealer [Rides West BMW] as old stock clearance item. I sure like the look, but the fitment was just so so, as the lens' touches the factory 'roo bar'. I put a thin rubber between the two so vibration cracking of the glass lens would not happen. As yet, I'm lucky that the light has not burned out.
As for Twin Headlight Ernie's thought on accessory lights, I think this is a very good idea. It has been basically confirmed that a motorcycle is given more 'consideration' by oncoming cars if there is a trianglation of light emitting from a vehicle rather than a single light source. I've noticed it with the Piaa kit that's on my 1200GS that was installed when I bought it new. Is this kit you have from TT Ernie?

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Twin headlight Ernie
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,387
Lights

I have had a pair of Piaa 002x mounted on the crash bars for quite a few years. I more recently added a pair of oval shaped LED lights I picked up off eBay. Wish I could remember the name brand because I've been very happy with the performance. No issues at all so far. I made the mounts in my shop. (I do that kind of work for a living you know) I installed the Euromoto electric 450 system a couple of seasons ago so power is a non issue. Very happy with it by the way as well. Really like running the aux lights at night. The bike feels naked with them off if you know what I mean. 2HE

My Smugmug:
http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Dakota Motorsports
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote