ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
The passive agressive drivers in the PNW will never stand for it, even if legal.

^this

too many douche up here.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Think long term. They may not like it now but eventually the new drivers will be taught that it is indeed legal and in the future it will be normal.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
some call me...tim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
in CA it works well... even if they pass the law and tell me I can do it up here, theres not a chance in hell Id be lane splitting in WA.. these drivers don't expected it as they are not used to it at all. I see carnage all over the hiways for awhile if it ever passed.
Honestly, I don't feel the need for lane sharing 95% of the time when I'm on the highway. The times I'd use it most would be at stoplights or when traffic is at a standstill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING EYEBALL View Post
^this

too many douche up here.
You say that like douches are restricted to one region. Find me an area where douche baggery isn't prevalent, and I'll pack up my bags now.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
Think long term. They may not like it now but eventually the new drivers will be taught that it is indeed legal and in the future it will be normal.
So, it's "for the children"?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
So, it's "for the children"?

I was thinking more of me when I'm older. I'm a selfish bastard.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post

You say that like douches are restricted to one region. Find me an area where douche baggery isn't prevalent, and I'll pack up my bags now.

I've never had any issues with filtering in California.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
You go first!

The CA Hawaii Patrol just published recommendations for legal lane splitting: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861434

As stated earlier, the WA state patrol would need to be on board. The first lane splitters should be motorcycle WSP as part of the awareness and education campaign.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
I'm working on legalizing it here in Oregon. I've setup a blog about it: http://www.lanesharingworks.com which redirects to a Wordpress blog.

I'm actually having some success. I have the attention of a senator that is going to draft a bill to legalize it and submit it in the 2014 legislature. As he described the process, it then has to go through committee. During that time, we can have people come testify on its behalf. If it can get through committee, it'll then go up for review prior to being voted on. That's when it's really important to have people call and write in to support it. If we get enough support, it will pass.

I suspect the same methods will be needed to make it happen in Washington. I know WSP has been opposed to it in the past, but maybe they can be swayed. I'm not sure about OSP -- I need to find out. I've been wanting to write to the head of the CHP and ask them to write a Letter of Recommendation (for lack of a better term) supporting lane splitting, and forward it to various state agencies.

Let's just get it legalized, and then worry about the douchebags. California has a couple of additional laws to go with lane splitting that I'm going to be asking for when I submit my proposal to Oregon:

- Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
- Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'm working on legalizing it here in Oregon. I've setup a blog about it: http://www.lanesharingworks.com which redirects to a Wordpress blog.

I'm actually having some success. I have the attention of a senator that is going to draft a bill to legalize it and submit it in the 2014 legislature. As he described the process, it then has to go through committee. During that time, we can have people come testify on its behalf. If it can get through committee, it'll then go up for review prior to being voted on. That's when it's really important to have people call and write in to support it. If we get enough support, it will pass.

I suspect the same methods will be needed to make it happen in Washington. I know WSP has been opposed to it in the past, but maybe they can be swayed. I'm not sure about OSP -- I need to find out. I've been wanting to write to the head of the CHP and ask them to write a Letter of Recommendation (for lack of a better term) supporting lane splitting, and forward it to various state agencies.

Let's just get it legalized, and then worry about the douchebags. California has a couple of additional laws to go with lane splitting that I'm going to be asking for when I submit my proposal to Oregon:

- Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
- Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

Rob
Well done.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Well done.

Patronizing Oregon a$$hole...

And to not derail the thread:

My cousin was in an accident lane-splitting in California. It was a 8 lane freeway with two additional lanes heading to an off ramps to another freeway. He was splitting between lane 4 and the off ramp only lanes, mistake 1. The off ramp only lanes were stopped while traffic was moving at about 30mph in lanes 1 through 4 while he was splitting, mistake 2. Of course someone pulls out of the off ramp lane and into lane 4 right in front of him. He goes flying over the hood, bike careens off and blocks lanes 2 & 3 while he's laid out in 4. The freeway comes to a complete stop.

Luckily the car stopped behind his bike is full of ER doctors. He ends up being fine except for a little soreness. We walks back over to the driver of the car that turned into him. The guy cracks his window and says, "You broke my mirror." Waits for CHP to show up to get a report. Afterwards he moves his bike off the freeway and waits for it and him to be picked up.

CHP and Insurance declares the driver of the car at fault. My point is that even in California, there are inattentive self centered drivers. Even with penalties and awareness, you need to remember that you are on a bike and change your behavior accordingly. We talked about his accident and realized his mistakes. Even though he thought about his kids as he was flying over the hood of that car in slow motion, he's still riding.

Cheers!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan View Post
Patronizing Oregon a$$hole...
And?

Sounds like Rob got some traction, and may get it to vote (again).
I can only hope lane splitting spreads, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan View Post
CHP and Insurance declares the driver of the car at fault. My point is that even in California, there are inattentive self centered drivers. Even with penalties and awareness, you need to remember that you are on a bike and change your behavior accordingly. We talked about his accident and realized his mistakes. Even though he thought about his kids as he was flying over the hood of that car in slow motion, he's still riding.

Cheers!
Glad he's Ok, thanks for the story. I had pretty good luck with lane sharing when I Iived in the SF Bay area, but I have bonked a mirror, and it is a puckery sensation.
According to legend, lane sharing evolved in California because the CHPs needed to keep their Harleys from overheating in traffic. This darn cool weather up here...
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #28
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Yes. Lane sharing is the legal term I believe.
This is one of those ongoing "discussions" - here in California, the CHP calls it "lane splitting." That's good for me, because that's what I've been calling it for 25+ years.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #29
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
This is one of those ongoing "discussions" - here in California, the CHP calls it "lane splitting." That's good for me, because that's what I've been calling it for 25+ years.
Lane splitting fits better for me, but it's just nomenclature and whatever anyone wants to call it, getting the laws changed is the root of the issue.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #30
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
I prefer the term "lane splitting" too, fwiw.

I'd like to see a list of all the countries that openly allow lane splitting. Not just where people "get away" with it, but where it's openly practiced. Then I will post that to my blog.

Also, try to think of all the (valid) reasons people might have against it, like what cops might say against it. We need to have rebuttals to everything. Once we succeed in getting a bill introduced, it'll go into Committee, and that's the first major hurdle. That's where we'll have all kinds of people testifying FOR and AGAINST. My biggest worry is having cops coming out against it. We need sound rebuttals for anything they can come up with.

Somebody in California: Can you find out who the head of the CHP is, and post their name/mailing address/phone number here? I want to write a letter to them.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote