ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #31
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Most people don't like motorcycles or riders ("bikers"), the actual convenience and claims of "safety" that would benefit us is of no interest to them, and unlikely to change their opinions.

Probably the best way to get acceptance from the non riding public and their representatives is to push the "green" benefits. Reduced congestion, emissions, and use of resources.
Like with most things being pushed as "green", it doesn't really need to have any actual substance or facts behind it, just sound good and make folks feel like they are "making a difference".
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #32
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Somebody in California: Can you find out who the head of the CHP is, and post their name/mailing address/phone number here? I want to write a letter to them.
Sent you some contacts.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Here's my $.02-

I grew up in Kommiefornia. I regard lane-sharing as one of the more important tools in my bag as a motorcyclist. I just returned from a 6 month odyssey around the States, and found myself in more than one situation where lane-sharing would have saved my engine from extreme temps, as well as me.

As for the "douchebags" who don't like lane-sharing and block you, etc., it happens in CA too. Part of the trick is to be moving just fast enough that they can't really react before you're past them. And yes. splitting between a line of stopped cars and a line of moving ones is suicide.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #34
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
On the other hand, I noticed lots of drivers courteously moving over a bit when they saw or heard me coming. In fact, I'd say that most of the time, California drivers moved over in their lane to accommodate the "share" with the passing motorcyclist. People don't want to get their mirrors clipped. In two years of riding in SF Bay area, I never had one instance of any driver objecting to my lane splitting.

Here in Washington, however, it's a guarantee that someone will honk or scream something at you, just because you are using some free space to get where you're going (before they get where they're going.) It's like you're cutting in line for lunch or something.

Regarding the terminology, I think most of us call it "lane splitting", but as windmill mentioned, anything that makes these passive-aggressive, NPR-listening Prius drivers more accepting of the practice is good. And it seems like "sharing" is something that those people want to associate themselves with.

If we need to call it "cooperative lane synthesis for harmony", I'm fine with that too. Just let me ride the white lines, please.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #35
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,649
Signed! Just moved back to the Pacific Northwet from the DC metro area. Commuted daily on the beltway. Lane sharing would be wonderful!!

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Regarding the terminology, I think most of us call it "lane splitting", but as windmill mentioned, anything that makes these passive-aggressive, NPR-listening Prius drivers more accepting of the practice is good. And it seems like "sharing" is something that those people want to associate themselves with.
Kind of like the passive-aggressive, NPR-listening Prius driver that intentionally folded their mirror in to let me squeeze by them in the I.D. the other day, right?

I'd love to get this passed! I was pulled over some months ago by an SPD officer when 'splitting lanes' between a single parked car and a line up of stopped vehicles at a red light. I had wanted to take a right at the light. The officer told be that if anyone had pulled in to me, causing an accident, that it would have been my fault. He did let me off the hook though.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #37
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Here's my $.02-
I grew up in Kommiefornia. ...
Quote:
... anything that makes these passive-aggressive, NPR-listening Prius drivers more accepting of the practice is good. And it seems like "sharing" is something that those people want to associate themselves with...
Seriously!? You two take a subject where you need to as much support as possible and try to polarize it into an us/them issue? Well actually more of a "me/them" issue.

Instead of passive aggressively trying to insult me, a Californian who lives in Washington and listens to NPR (my redeeming quality may be that I don't drive a Prius), how about some constructive dialog about how to help move this petition along. Do you know any motorcycle riding WSP who you can talk to? How about organizing a rally on the capitol? Hell, how about something more constructive then the recommendation to speed past drivers so they don't notice you and word-smithing to not offend the delicate nature of "those people".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post
Kind of like the passive-aggressive, NPR-listening Prius driver that intentionally folded their mirror in to let me squeeze by them in the I.D. the other day, right?

I've had more problems on two wheels with NRA sticker-ed 3/4 ton pickups in the sticks, and sometimes in the city, than I have had with most any other group of vehicles. But I still see those incidents as interactions with individual people and not a group. Far and away all drivers, from pickups to priuses, are just your average group of people; friendly on the backroads and agressive in the city.

Quote:
...Here in Washington, however, it's a guarantee that someone will honk or scream something at you, just because you are using some free space to get where you're going (before they get where they're going.) It's like you're cutting in line for lunch or something.
This is why I mentioned the idea of having motorcycle mounted LEOs be the first to share lanes. People will learn really quickly to not intentionally take actions to threaten the safety of people on bikes. Make it a moving violation with the same fines as a speeding ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post
I'd love to get this passed! I was pulled over some months ago by an SPD officer when 'splitting lanes' between a single parked car and a line up of stopped vehicles at a red light. I had wanted to take a right at the light. The officer told be that if anyone had pulled in to me, causing an accident, that it would have been my fault. He did let me off the hook though.
Growing up in southern California, I always remembered seeing motorcycles lane split on the freeway. But they NEVER share lanes on the streets much less at an intersection. In my recent trips, I have noticed many more motorcycles filtering through cars waiting at a red light. What changed?

The right hand turn at a red light in the past was also a form of lane splitting. It was the easiest and almost only way for non motorcycles to share lanes. In fact, years ago it was used in an argument in support of lane sharing by motorcycles. As in if we ban lane sharing for motorcycles, we must also do the same for cars thus you lose the ability to sneak by cars on the right at at intersection when turning right.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Really dude? You're really gonna bust my balls over the use of the word Kommiefornia? :facepalm

As for my comment about "speeding past drivers so they don't notice you", apparently comprehension is difficult for you. Re-read what I said and go from there.

I might remind you- I've ridden (and lane-shared, including what I call "filtering", moving to the front at a red light) in California for 30-odd years now, and I just returned from a 6mo/25k mile odyssey around the Continental US, so I think I've got a decent grasp of the issues concerning lane-sharing and hostile drivers. Just sayin'.

While riding, I make choices based on the fact I am invisible to the car drivers, whether or not they see me. Being proactive and moving through a space before they have a chance to cream me is one of the tools in my bag of tricks as a motorcyclist. It's kept me alive over the course of 3/4 million miles on two wheels.

And one final thought-do you really want to be defined by what you listen to? I feel as though I'm much more than the radio station I listen to, but that's just me.

Punt to CS & M (or HE) in 3..2..

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #39
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazekan View Post
Seriously!? You two take a subject where you need to as much support as possible and try to polarize it into an us/them issue? Well actually more of a "me/them" issue.

You are right about that, my apologies for making a dumb generalization about Prius drivers. I know some very nice folks that drive Prii.. And I listen to NPR myself. Bummed out that Car Talk is gone though.

Glad that you feel passionately about this subject, point taken, carry on.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #40
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Signed
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #41
Big Tall Bastard
Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 294
God I hate Prius' and NPR
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #42
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Signed. I learned how to ride motorcycles in California and enjoyed the advantages of lane splitting when I encountered heavy traffic during the summer.

I think a valid argument for legalizing lane sharing would be that during the summer months, we need to keep moving to stay cool. This is especially true for those like myself who wear full protective gear from head to toe. A car driver can just turn up the AC when stuck in traffic. A friend who rides a Harley also told me he has to keep moving during the summer or he'll overheat. I've never owned a Harley but he has 40,000 miles of coast to coast riding so I figure he knows what he's talking about.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
Tirespin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I drive a Prius. It's the most cost effective commuting appliance there is, given where I live and work.
I belong to the NRA and support the 2nd ammendment.
I've seen adventure riders on TV.
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express.

I ride a KTM 990.

Oh, and I signed the petition. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Really dude? You're really gonna bust my balls over the use of the word Kommiefornia? :facepalm...
Punt to CS & M (or HE) in 3..2..
Quote:
You are right about that, my apologies for making a dumb generalization about Prius drivers. I know some very nice folks that drive Prii.. And I listen to NPR myself. Bummed out that Car Talk is gone though.

Glad that you feel passionately about this subject, point taken, carry on.
Mea Culpa fellas. I overreacted but definitely not HE worthy. I still believe support for this petition should not be polarized by the words we use.

Speaking of filtering off the highway; here in Berkeley I have seen so many scooters filtering through at red lights and even through slow traffic. Also, with recent rains, I found myself filtering at red lights. It is quite convenient so I may be changing my mind about filtering at intersections.

Cheers!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #45
SnakeBreak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Signed and hoping

We don't really need it over here but I spend enough time in Seattle to know you need it.
SnakeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote