User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
handensco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I Hate Electricity

When I turn my turn signals on it causes some sort of short. It will sometimes unstick itself on a bumpy road or after sitting some time. I have pulled the whole rear turn signal assembly, the tail light also. I did find the ground from battery to engine is loose and the bolt feels to be stripped. After finding a secure ground The volt meter is still at 0. Inside the headlight bucket there is a HELA box (relay?) that is falling apart. Does that have anything to do with the signals, the brake lights and the running light in the headlamp. I am not sure how to go forward. Thanks for an help.
Handensco
david
Old 08-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Well, first fix the obvious issues. You really need a wiring schematic for that particular bike. Then just start checking point to point for the circuit that is the issue til you locate the problem.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Poor earth ( ground) connections can cause all sorts of weird problems. It's common for a poor earth to cause brake lights to flash like indicators.
Go over it thoroughly checking all earth connections, and fix the part in the headlight shell ( which is probably the headlight relay).
Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 580
What year bike?

Do you have a schematic? If the wiring inside the headlight is non-stock, might want to take pix if you want help. I generally end up having to draw some schematics/diagrams of my own in order to understand enough to debug electrical stuff. It's usually not all that difficult, since it's just dc. But it's hard to do remotely, so most advice relates to trying to find a shorted wire or a poor ground, usually by tracing 12v until you find someplace where it isn't there and should be.

roy
flemsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
handensco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I tried to unplug that headlight relay and it came apart. There is a lot of dust or powder in it. It just came apart. I think that might be part of the culprit. I do have the wiring diagram but it is so hard to read because of the size. I will try and print our a bigger one at work today. I am not good with a multimeter and understanding what to do with it. I do have to find a new place to put the ground wire from the battery. Any suggestions. Where the ground goes to now, same spot as the tach, it seems as if that bolt is stripped.
Thanks
david
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
MotorcycleWriter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
You don't hate electricity. You just have a high resistance to it.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
What year? Model?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Whiteguyphil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Hella relay

I had my flasher relay go out, it is a long, rectangular relay
IMG_608793

at the time they were NLA, I was able to make a three pronged one work using a few diodes... is this the relay you are talking about?

1977 BMW R100/7T USA - Gilda
Whiteguyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by handensco View Post
When I turn my turn signals on it causes some sort of short. It will sometimes unstick itself on a bumpy road or after sitting some time. I have pulled the whole rear turn signal assembly, the tail light also. I did find the ground from battery to engine is loose and the bolt feels to be stripped. After finding a secure ground The volt meter is still at 0.
Err .. Is this the R90/6 in your public profile?

Usually people rearrange the battery earth strap to one of the gearbox bolts. You need a longer bolt and a spacer to get the strap connection out of the bolt hole so it is not distorted.

"The voltmeter" ? Does this bike have a voltmeter ? Or is this one you have connected somewhere .. if so where is it connected ... both red and black lead connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by handensco View Post
Inside the headlight bucket there is a HELA box (relay?) that is falling apart. Does that have anything to do with the signals, the brake lights and the running light in the headlamp. I am not sure how to go forward.
Need to know what bike you have to help... the relay may not be "standard" but either a substitute for an original part or a modification eg an attempt to increase the headlight intensity.

You should also tell of any other problems .. after that battery earth strap is secure.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 258
Following with interest and I would love for my lights to work . Looking in the headlight bucket makes me cringe where to start?. I've owned too many bikes and the one thing I find most common is a bad ground. BMW makes a terrible head light they need a good slap over and over the HP2 had a Tupperware salad bowl light what a piece of crap and don't get me started on my R75/5 t I'm learning every day.
NONAME13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 580
noname13....

Looking at that, all I can say is that I would have to trace out every wire/color/connection, and redraw it a few times until it had some relationship to what's on the Haynes schematic. If you're lucky, most of it will match and you can focus on the things that don't, usually someone adding an extra relay for aux lights or something similar. After that, troubleshooting is more straightforward, chasing 12 volts til something isn't there when it should be.

The good thing about electrical stuff is it ultimately makes sense.

roy
flemsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,313
Yep. For starts that wiring has been re-done by a PO without color coding (and lordy knows what else) and is best re-re-done to factory specs. For starts.

--Bill
Old 08-26-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
I assume that the bike is a 90/6 which has been cafed. So depending on who did the work the wiring could be interesting.

Most electrical problems are due to corrosion on the red wire at the starter relay under the master cylinder.

The undertank master cylinder has 2 wires to the level switch. One of these wires acts as a earth for the indicator light in the instruments, if it is disconnected then you will get lots of issues with indicators.

If your 90/6 is an early one there are no proper earth wires for the front indicators. Fit them.

Many German cars have use the same wiring colours as BMW, getting an old wiring harness is a good source of the correct colour coded wires.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:34 AM   #14
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
and is best re-re-done to factory specs. For starts.l
Having worked on stuff where 'factory spec.' was pink wires .. everywhere and lots of them (as in 1,000s), I'm less inclined to throw stuff away .. even when it does not match the 'factory spec.'

-----------------
Ok .. a 'special' with unknowns .. Take one problem at a time?

Make a list of what does not work .. and how it does not work (e.g. bumps make it work etc)

------------
The relay... may have some identifying part numbers on it? At least you'll have a number of connections to it .. how many? and are they labeled? e.g. 85, 86, 30a etc... those all mean something.

===========
You are a detective looking for clues .. good luck. This message will implode in 2 years..
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #15
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
I assume that the bike is a 90/6 which has been cafed. So depending on who did the work the wiring could be interesting.

Most electrical problems are due to corrosion on the red wire at the starter relay under the master cylinder.

The undertank master cylinder has 2 wires to the level switch. One of these wires acts as a earth for the indicator light in the instruments, if it is disconnected then you will get lots of issues with indicators.

If your 90/6 is an early one there are no proper earth wires for the front indicators. Fit them.

Many German cars have use the same wiring colours as BMW, getting an old wiring harness is a good source of the correct colour coded wires.
As well - there are a couple of online sources of European automotive wires with the appropriate colors. Here's one I've found (http://www.eagleday.com/neauwi.html).

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote