User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Newest Problem. Love this Bike.

Sorry for the barrage of threads. But rather start a new one for each problem.

To just bring everyone up to speed. Had some issues with the new Digital Ignition and endurolast charging system that I want to say have been sorted.

Bike ran pretty darn good last week.

Then it sat for a few days and my starter wouldn't work. Ordered a new starter relay and cleaned a ton of terminal ends. Replaced starter relay and bike is now running again.

Bike is a 1976 R90/6

Bike started running today but struggled right away. In first gear as I'm riding as soon as give some throttle it just would dog and want to die. Come to a stop an go into neutral idle and would want to die as well.

I was a good 1/4 mile from home and it couldn't make it, BUT

I was squeezing the clutch, and noticed if I squeeze just the slightest pressure in the clutch the bike would run and seem almost fine, let the clutch out and it would try and die. Squeeze it ever so slightly and fine again.

The clutch initially had a 1/4" of play before it would pull on the cable.

I backed out that clutch thumb screw so there was no slack in the handle travel and the bike would idle a bit better.

Any thoughts on this one?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just tried something new.

I loosened the clutch thumb screw as mentioned till there was no more play in the handle. And just went for a ride. Apart from having to release the clutch handle nearly 100% to engage the gear the bike ran fine, higher RPM though which i assume is due to the cutch so close to being Engaged?

What's going on?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,175
I have often said on the list that if I have a problem I think might be clutch related I first check that I have free play at both ends. This is true there should be free play at both ends but that is not a proper clutch adjustment. I'll have to look it up in my files because I don't even know the thing by heart but the proper clutch adjustment starts with the adjustment of the throw out arm on the trannie being exactly 201 mm from the face of the boss the cable goes through.

I adjust my clutch by sight and feel but you will have to learn the proper way to get it.

It sounds like you may have more going on though than just free play adjustment. I suggest you take everything out off the rear of the trans except the rod and inspect all these pieces. Clean the small bearing and inspect the thrust piece faces for deformity or pitting. Report back. Pics might help.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 648
needs adjustment...

Adjust your clutch at the transmission clutch arm...210mm may help in your search. LEAVE SOME SLACK!
Have fun.
spo
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
no slack at the rear equals pushrod welded to pressure plate equals bad day.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Had some issues with the new Digital Ignition and endurolast charging system that I want to say have been sorted.
What were the issues that caused the problems with the ignition and charging system?

Quote:
I was squeezing the clutch, and noticed if I squeeze just the slightest pressure in the clutch the bike would run and seem almost fine, let the clutch out and it would try and die. Squeeze it ever so slightly and fine again.
So the bike would run fine if the clutch was slipping?

What shop manual are you using?

--Bill
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Yachtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
What were the issues that caused the problems with the ignition and charging system?

So the bike would run fine if the clutch was slipping?

What shop manual are you using?

--Bill
Found one wrong wire to the coils and ultimately I think it's temperature related. Bike runs with front cover off. Problems with front cover on. So my plans or have a machine shop drill a new vent In the front of the cover.

Bike runs with the clutch slightly engaged. I do know that the clutch cable is not original and looks too long

I have a clymers

I did speak to a family friend tonight who works at a car dealership and one of his mechanics has worked on quite a few BMWs and has agreed to take the bike and have a look so I think I'm going to hang up the wrenches and let him have it.

Yachtie screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 06:47 PM
Yachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,819
Ok, we need pics of the sludge. Bottom of what? The engine? clean it and figure out where you're leaking, pushrod seals, heads, oil pan, oil filter cover? Get the appropriate clutch cable, STAT. Check all around where the front cover engages, mark the shit out of it with a black magic marker so you can see what's touching and causing the problem. It's sounds like you're pinching a wire when putting the front cover back on, neg battery cable is off...right? Then go from there. Heat should not be an issue with the cover on, it's plenty vented.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
What ignition are you using?

Do learn to adjust the clutch. The figure is 201mm. Not 210.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote