User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
mountaincadre OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Aaaaarrghh f*ckin brakes

Trying to fit my new pads on the lc4's rear brake, old pads removed/caliper cleaned/new pads fitted, offer up wheel but disc is hitting slot at back of caliper, took the pads out and offered wheel up with them out, wheel goes on no problem but just touching left side of slot(when looking from behind). Retry with pads in ,disc hitting again, what the feck is this bastards problem, i've fitted hundreds of these things to cars/ lorrie's/bikes and never had a stumber like this, there is something i'm forgetting i know it, but what the hell is it, AAAARRRRGGGHH.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Possible causes ...

Have you forgotten to include a wheel ( axle ) spacer ?

Also, remember the caliper slides on pins as it operates, and
you can probably move the caliper around a bit and adjust its
rest position.

Other than that, without photos of your situation it is difficult to guess what
might be wrong. But it was working when it was disassembled ( at least I would guess
it was ) so it WILL work again.

Sometimes the best thing is to take a break for an hour and quit thinking about the
problem. Then you can return refreshed and the solution is often immediately
obvious.

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
Trying to fit my new pads on the lc4's rear brake, old pads removed/caliper cleaned/new pads fitted, offer up wheel but disc is hitting slot at back of caliper, took the pads out and offered wheel up with them out, wheel goes on no problem but just touching left side of slot(when looking from behind). Retry with pads in ,disc hitting again, what the feck is this bastards problem, i've fitted hundreds of these things to cars/ lorrie's/bikes and never had a stumber like this, there is something i'm forgetting i know it, but what the hell is it, AAAARRRRGGGHH.

I don't normally take the wheel off to fit the new pads, I just pry the caliper open as far as it goes using a screwdriver against the old pads... It'sNotTheBike offered some good points, make sure the caliper moves on the slide pins and they are not seized... I often pull the caliper apart and grease those pins from time to time...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,292
are your "keepers" mis fitted or bent or worn out?
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
mountaincadre OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
are your "keepers" mis fitted or bent or worn out?
Keepers? sorry i'm not familier with that term.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
mountaincadre OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quick update, rechecked spacers and they're fine ,wheel sitting right in slot with pads out, still hitting side of slot when pads are inserted. Looking this morning it looks like one of the slides is stuck, cant get my had round this as when i stripped the brake i split the two halves so that i could check on the condition of the slides( they where fine with no damage at all,so just a clean and regrease), know it looks like one has seized, is there a non damage inflicting way to seperate the two halves(as i write this i'm thinking where did i put the metal bar).
Old 02-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
mountaincadre OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like the slide is bent, don't know how i managed to do that but i have, thing is solid and ain't for budging, time to bight the bullet and ask what are my options.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #8
mountaincadre OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well i bought the bullet, took the hacksaw to the slide and seperated the two halves, i know ktm dos'nt do the slides on there own but does anybody know if anyone else does, failing that does anyone have a drawing for one and i'll make it myself. My mechanical prowess might be sumwhat basic but give me a lathe and a couple of hours and i'm pretty sure i could knock one up.