User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Eh? 186 BPM too much?

I'm 51 yrs old and I ride motocross for fun and fitness and recently I bought a Garmin 410 Forerunner watch and heart rate monitor combo. I was a little concerned when I saw my heart rate averaged 174 Bpm and topped out at 186bpm during 4 back to back 5 lap motos.

My girlfriend says it can't be right and if it is I should see a doctor. I'm not sure what my resting heart rate is, but I feel fine.

Here's the Garmin activity report: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314110889

5Chord screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 01:39 PM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
161 on average is high. How is the breathing? Still able to talk or are you just holding on? What is you rest heart beat (measured first thing in the morning)?

In any case, a dicters visit as check up when doing high intensity stuff at 51 is never a bad idea.

Four wheels good, two wheels better
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunewar View Post
161 on average is high. How is the breathing? Still able to talk or are you just holding on? What is you rest heart beat (measured first thing in the morning)?

In any case, a dicters visit as check up when doing high intensity stuff at 51 is never a bad idea.

Four wheels good, two wheels better
Can't do much talking when busting out laps! ....Breathing is fine and I feel great after... .I call it my Motobuzzzz
Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Back when I was racing bicycles in my youth 185bpm wasn't unheard of, but pretty near my max. Resting heartbeat (i.e. first thing in the morning, before getting out of bed or doing anything) was around 45. When training I tried to stay between 110 and 160.

Now that I'm old and fat (45 and 210lbs) resting HR is around 60 and if I tried to hit 185 bpm I'd probably keel over.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,348
Max heart rates vary and personally I wouldn't worry about hitting 186bpm if I were 51 (I'm 41). I'd be more concerned if at 160bpm you felt like you were going to keel over. The biggest factor for you is probably your overall health. Is riding a motorcycle your only exercise? Overweight or other bad habits? The untrained heart hitting high maxes is different than the trained heart doing the same rate.

I am very fit and have been for most of my life. My resting heart rate now is in the low 40's. My max heart rate has always been on the low side so compared to others doing the same sport. People are different.

Still, if you are concerned enough to post on here it might be a sign to go see your doctor and get his/her opinion. Don't want to take the issue lightly.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,005
That thing tells you how many calories you burned? Pretty neat. I can't help you on the HB question, I think my resting HB is 140. I gotta quit smoking!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
when I was 51

fit not fat as I am today

I used to do hill sprints

checked, went to over 195 bpm

when your fit ok

now 3 years later I think it would kill me

also if you have done strenuous exercise all ur life

ur body is used to it

listen to your body

maybe go and get a stress test

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
You might want to consult a physician, maybe get a cardiogram. See if there are any anomalies.

Your max heart rate should be 220 minus your age, so that would be 169. You get a training effect at 80 percent of that number, so let us say appx. 136 bpm. Your number is kind of high. I have two friends that had issues that needed to be addressed, on e by surgery, due to a birth defect in his heart he did not know he had.

I wouldn't be too worried, but get it checked. And maybe your heart rate monitor is a bit optimistic.

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,969
If you are concerned about to see a Dr. After the tests you will feel better and race even harder!!
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I just found out my resting heart beat is 68 bpm. I'm 5' 5" in reasonably good shape, non-smoker (cigs)
Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Adrenalin rush would put your HR up. Any close calls during the event?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
If you don't otherwise train (cardio) at all- that might be a bit high.

When I started running again in January, I'd hit 175bpm to hold onto 10 minute miles for two miles and would be out of breath. Four and a half months later, Now I do 9 minute miles, 4-5 miles, and usually max out at 160 or so.

When we (I'm not that far behind you) were younger, we could get away with that crap more easily. Now, it's riskier. A physical if you haven't had one would be a good idea.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
If you are concerned about to see a Dr. After the tests you will feel better and race even harder!!
DITTO!!!! I've scared myself with HRMs (20 years ago!), get real advice and talk to your Dr.

All you'll hear around here is "Pin it to Win It!" and Hot tips on which oil to use.....
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Your max heart rate should be 220 minus your age, so that would be 169. You get a training effect at 80 percent of that number, so let us say appx.
220-age=max HR is not always accurate. For instance that formula gives me a max of 180, yet a treadmill test gave me a max of 188.

What is true is that if you are exercising at the upper end of your HR you should consult with your doctor to make sure you don't have any conditions that would make the activity contraindicated.

Also, excessive time spent at the other reaches of your HR can cause bad thins to happen. Often there are effects felt from lactic acid build-up that help cue the exerciser to back off. You may not be getting those cues.

I'm guessing that if you looked back over your moto and correlated that to your HR you might note that your HR pegged out during a time when you really had to muscle the bike. If you can recall how you felt at that specific time you might be able to recognize those physical cues next time.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
220-age=max HR is not always accurate. For instance that formula gives me a max of 180, yet a treadmill test gave me a max of 188.

What is true is that if you are exercising at the upper end of your HR you should consult with your doctor to make sure you don't have any conditions that would make the activity contraindicated.

Also, excessive time spent at the other reaches of your HR can cause bad thins to happen. Often there are effects felt from lactic acid build-up that help cue the exerciser to back off. You may not be getting those cues.

I'm guessing that if you looked back over your moto and correlated that to your HR you might note that your HR pegged out during a time when you really had to muscle the bike. If you can recall how you felt at that specific time you might be able to recognize those physical cues next time.

- Ken
Yeah according to that formula I'd be dead.....If you look at the activity (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314110889) you can clearly see on the heart rate time line where each 5 lap moto begins and ends as well as the recovery period (which is almost non-existent before the last moto). I'm between 165-186 bpm the entire time I'm out there. The track I ride is supercorss-style so there are no times when you can relax at all except in the air. Before I used to ride until I got arm-pump but now I stick it out there for at least 5 laps regardless.