Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,483
You should pick up this month's Cycle World. It does a 250 comparison of the CRF, KLX and WR. The article spoiler is that the CRF is the best bargain bike, the least intimidating beginner bike and a good commuter. The WR has the best performance everywhere, best suspension and best seat but is the most expensive. And the KLX splits the difference between the two with the lightest weight and solid offroad performance but no EFI.

You can tell from my signature that I prefer the two bike route with a big dual sport and trail weapon over one do it all bike. So, I would take a hard look at what you plan to do with that second bike. If your trail riding isn't very aggressive the Honda saves a pile of money. A little more aggressive and the Kawasaki is capable and still saves money. But if you want something closer to a real offroad bike and with better highway performance the WR.

Out of the bikes and options mentioned and with money not as the deciding factor then keeping the Strom and adding a WR250R would be my choice. As much as I would love a 690, having two bikes that do two different things well is fun.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:04 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
I read the article that was posted here and saw that they chose the Honda. I've had a KLX, the power and suspension didn't do it for me when riding fast on rough open trails. The Honda seems to have a touch more power but still budget suspension. Going back to my first post, the Honda and WR are only $1000 apart, provided the demo's are still available so that's not a big deal. I paid close to $6000 for my KLX when I bought that due to dealer fees, and them being the only Kawi shop around so it was a take it or leave it price.

As far as buying something used and having it shipped, I don't think I would do that with an RFS bike just given that there is no way to inspect it closely or take a quick ride to see if it is in ok shape.

I'm not looking for a beginner bike necessarily, I put 9000 miles on my KLX in 2 years and about 40% of that was offroad since I could take trails to and from the office.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,483
Sounds like you have your answer. If the KLX didn't have enough power or suspension then the CRF is also going to be out due to the even more budget suspension under it.

I have ridden some rough trails with guys WR250R's. They are pretty capable offroad bikes. Given that they do OK against orange bikes the suspension can't be too far off.

Personally, I could never be happy on any 250 dual sport. But the WR has significantly more power then the other two. So, to me, it is the obvious choice for a second bike.

Unless, of course, you want to go the plated dirt bike route. Then it is orange Koolaid time.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
The WR is probably a more capable off road bike stock, but the CRF is no slouch either.
The motor is good, drop the front sprocket to a 13 and it's good all around, soft suspension, yes, but still capable.
I think most of the comments are spot on though, if a WR demo was available that's a great deal.

Death Valley Daze from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:29 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,119
WR, KLX, CRF are all underpowered and overweight when compared to even a 400exc, never mind the 450 or 525. The RFS engine is very reliable when properly cared for. The rest of the KTM has better components, hardware, design quality and build quality than any of the 250's being discussed. Used ones are plentiful and reasonably priced. The OP said he would love one. Dirt Dad regrets selling his. That's the kind of passion that makes owning the bike fun. Buy one now for less than $5k. Sell the boring V-Strom (OP's words). Get a used second bike (that excites you the way the RFS does) for the 2 up and longer rides for another $5k (check out first gen. Ducati Multistrada's or Buell Ullysses for example). Ride the hell out of both and say goodby to boring bikes.

Edit - The flea market currently has 2 Buellls, a couple of Multistradas have gone by recently, EXC's appear often, a beautiful Beta just went by and a Husaberg or 2 lately - all @ $5k or so (some much less). Not a boring bike in the bunch.

SRG screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 02:30 PM
SRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
WR, KLX, CRF are all underpowered and overweight when compared to even a 400exc, never mind the 450 or 525. The RFS engine is very reliable when properly cared for. The rest of the KTM has better components, hardware, design quality and build quality than any of the 250's being discussed. Used ones are plentiful and reasonably priced. The OP said he would love one. Dirt Dad regrets selling his. That's the kind of passion that makes owning the bike fun. Buy one now for less than $5k. Sell the boring V-Strom (OP's words). Get a used second bike (that excites you the way the RFS does) for the 2 up and longer rides for another $5k (check out first gen. Ducati Multistrada's or Buell Ullysses for example). Ride the hell out of both and say goodby to boring bikes.

Well, we all have our opinions and when it comes to bike, nobody is really wrong. Whatever makes you happy, you have some valid points. Only the OP in question will have to decide what kind of compromise he wants to make, that's all it is in the end. Chances are you won't go put 30,000 miles on a little KTM with minimal maintenance, or want to bang out hundreds of highway miles to get to the trail either. On the flip side KTM or equivalent bike will be easier to ride in very technical trails being lighter and more powerful or allow you to do 2nd or 3rd gear wheelies on dirt, something the CRF does not.
Besides the little CRF 250L I also have a Husaberg FE570S to compare riding back to back though, and very few bikes out there will perform any better than my Husa if you're talking performance potential in the right hands.
While very different machines, I don't see one as being any less fun than the other and I have lots of fun riding both. The CRF is my girl's bike, but I've put it through it's paces on all the same tight trails and long distance camping adventures as my Husa. Throw some camping gear on the back, ride 300 miles on the highway @65-70mph to get to Death Valley, then ride all the same trails as anyone, then ride home, with heated gear and grips running to stay warm in winter. A 250 can do it no problem, and I won't have to change the oil when I get home.
In the video above I was riding with a bunch of guys on KTM's, we all had fun at just the same at same speeds - with only 22hp.
Sure you can get up to break neck speeds faster on a high performance bike, but with that high performance come much more maintenance, less reliability, and a less forgiving bike when you make mistakes, not to mention highway comfort. It's not always about faster, something I'm learning after spending time on a basic 250 DS bike, there's plenty of fun to be had and sometimes less is more.

If the OP thinks he'll be bored on a 250, and wants a used bike with no warranty, by all means get a nice faster used bike mentioned, it's all about that dirty word called compromise.

[IMG]

The Little Red Piggy from Lost Rider on Vimeo.

[/IMG]

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 03:05 PM
Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Really the maintenance is a non issue for the "play bike". As stated before it seems the RFS trail riders (not harescramblers) seem to change their oil at the same frequency that I did on my KLX, 700-1000 miles. Either of the 250's I mentioned I imagine would end up being the same. Riding to work everyday and running the trails put a hurtin on the KLX oil. It would start to get difficult to shift at the intervals stated above so I'd just swap the oil and filter for a few bucks and keep running. I ran it hard all the time and that was the price I had to pay. The WR has more power and might not be stressed as much on the road but I still wouldn't run 3000 miles between changes.

The Flea Market is great but being almost 6 hours North of the PA border and 3 hours West of the VT border make it difficult to get to any of the bikes on there since most of them are further south. There was a nice 950 ADV a while back though that was in NY.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
SRG
SRG

Lost - I've followed your posts on the Husaberg threads. You and others there do all sorts of cool stuff both to and on your Bergs - w/ a passion. I know how you feel, I have a FX450. Are you really trying to tell me you feel the same way about you girl's CRF as you do your Husaberg? If so, I call . They just aren't the same, not even close.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #24
Lost Rider
Roadie

Well, I didn't say they felt or made me feel the same way exactly, I just said that I have had a good time and fun riding both. They are very different machines of course, but I have ridden the same trails at similar speeds, same dirt roads/washes as pretty fast riders on KTM's. You have to keep the little 250 engine spooled up and can't just lug it out of low rpm's like on the powerful Husa, you have to work to loft the front wheel at any speed on the CRF, but at the end of the day my time spent on both bikes is always enjoyable. Matter of fact at the end of the day I seem to be much less fatigued after riding the little CRF.
The CRF is nimble enough, it hides it's extra weight well and isn't nearly as twitchy as the Husa. I got a kick out of riding it loaded with camping gear to DV, then with guys on fast bikes, that's part of the fun for me too.
22 HP of FURY!
There's more to what makes a bike fun that stats on paper IMO.
I wouldn't hesitate to do long distance touring on the 250, lots of people have on a WR or 230L, and there's something to be said about not just blasting through everything will all that power on tap and getting great MPG. Less can be more and some people get it, some don't.
After riding this 250, I understand much better why folks love the FE390's, less can be more in places. I bet your FX is a real blast to ride.
My outlook on bikes are more for the long haul to get way out there and Lost and not just day rides. That's why the 3000 mile oil change intervals, wide spaced gear box and FI on the WR or CRF are attractive to me. If I didn't care about 700-1000 mile oil change intervals and just wanted a local ride woods weapon, then a used higher performance bike would make more sense. 700 miles could be a day and a half riding and no good for me.
For $4500 brand new with Honda reliability and darn good performance considering, the CRF makes for a great low cost, do it all bike for lots of people. Especially less aggressive riders, though I've whipped the little 250 pretty hard and had fun too.
It's a fun bike, like I'm sure the WR is. While it wont be winning any races, it's a capable DS bike bone stock and should go for many years with no problems and minimal maintenance. Yes, it's no Husaberg, or KTM when it comes to pure adrenaline type riding of course, doesn't mean it's boring, at least to me.

LostRider.com
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
SRG
SRG

Lost - Isn't the long distance Husaberg rider in the adventure travelers thread doing 40 hour oil change intervals now? At 40mph that's 1600mi. For us mere mortals using the bike as a dualsport, that's what, 2,3 maybe 4 oil changes a year and he skips the filter change every other time. To me, that is low maintenance.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
Lost Rider
Roadie

I have 13,000+ miles on my Husaberg and change the oil between 1500 and 2500 miles, usually depending on where I can change it while moving is the factor. Regular oil analysis and a recent tear down says it's just fine on this oil schedule. Hours doesn't work for me since I DS my bike and half the time I'm on pavement changing scenery or crossing state lines.
That's why having a bike that needs maintenance often doesn't work for me, my Husa valves are still in spec from the first service and I can push the oil intervals when needed without worries. (Often being subjective) I expect the same kind of thing with the CRF. I like to just fill up gas and ride...

Sorry to get off topic, feel free to ask away in the Husa ADV Traveler thread, all my oil analysis is posted in there too.

I can say with certainty, if the OP can find a nice used 70 Husa in his price range it is capable of just about anything he would throw at it and not be as "boring"...

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 11:03 PM
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #27
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Would the Husa 70's have the same issue as I'm seeing with other makes in that states can pull the plates on them or were they factory street legal with lights and blinkers? It doesn't look like any of the current models from Husaberg are legal?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
Lost Rider
Roadie

Mine's a 2011 FE570S, it came 50 state street legal, as far as I know only the 2010-2011 FE570 came street legal, but I've not looked too far back in the history focusing more on what I ride myself.
Husaberg did not import 2012 FE570's to the states, only the 2 strokes, and you are correct the 2013's are not DOT approved (and are not really "Husabergs" anyways since they have the same new KTM motors with other minor differences and blue colors).

Many folks have plated their 390's or 450's, but that all depends on your state laws, not possible here in good old green California due to emissions standards.

I saw a 2010 FE570 with low miles for around 6K a little ways back, there's used one's out there, but not too many.

There's lots of good advice in here, only you will know what should work for what you're looking for and wanting to spend. It's great to have a choice.

Good luck!

LostRider.com
Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #29
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

So, 2-up is a non issue. We talked about it briefly last night and she is no longer interested in riding since it is just too uncomfortable. It was even suggested that I sell the Strom and her CM400 and get a dirt bike.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #30
SRG
SRG

Get a Husaberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5NbVpoUqrI