Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
If I could find a decent one up my way I would consider it but no dealerships and not much of a trail system so Husaberg, Husqvarna, and even across used KTM bikes are rare. I've only ever seen one used exc and that was last summer. So the used market is non existent and I would prefer to buy new anyway.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #32
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post

That's funny shit.

I do have a feeling that the rider with that kind of balance and control would be doing that same riding on many bikes, even Orange Bikes, but it's still nice to see a Husa performing well. He's spot on in saying it can do it all though, especially the reliability, nimble nature and silky smoothness part, like a nice young girls thighs.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,152
I don't have a Berg dealer anywhere near me either. The guys at Genuine Dirt Racer have gotten me anything I have needed quickly and they are friendly and helpful too boot. Having to have a nearby dealer everywhere you go or are is limiting and unnecessary.

Yes, Bergs and even KTM's may not be for sale on every street corner around you. They are out there though - find a nice one from an owner you trust (read ADVrider) work out a long distance deal and either go get it or have it shipped. I've done deals at a distance and had to go fetch the last few bikes I've bought and haven't been disappointed yet - quite the opposite and none of them cost anywhere near what a new one would - the came pre farkled too. The search and trip to fetch is part of the fun.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

Through cycle trader I found a 2011 450exc for 6500 with under 1000 miles on it. I know the 07 ish models are desirable but how are these with the different valve train?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
Through cycle trader I found a 2011 450exc for 6500 with under 1000 miles on it. I know the 07 ish models are desirable but how are these with the different valve train?
Excellent.
The '08s had the problems with oil, but those were solved in '09 which is the same motor as the '11. The valves are more work to adjust than the RFS engines, but you don't need to as often because they don't fall out of adjustment as fast and last longer.
OrangeYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #36
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,014
I know this isn't the advice OP was asking for, but FWIW don't go into debt! The Weestrom is almost paid for now, just ride the fucker until enough $$ is saved up to get a lightweight dirt bike. Like a KTM 350EXC. That ought to lift a wheel over obstacles! Financing a toy takes too much of the joy out of it...
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #37
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

dhally, thanks but I don't mind financing a toy or my primary vehicle for that matter. I'd rather make a set small payment each month on something new and reliable than pay cash for something older and have "surprise" payments. I've been paying $100/month on the Strom and that's about where any of the bikes I mentioned above would be. I have good credit and get the lowest interest rate that my credit union offers so the interest paid on a mature loan is pretty small so its a wash whether I pay myself to save up for a couple years or pay the bank for a few years other than the satisfaction of handing over a wad of cash.

From the time I posted that until now the KTM went to pending sale.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,152
The nice (used) ones at a reasonable price often do go quick, I've missed a couple that I thought were the "right" one. But you know what? it always worked out very well in the end and I always ended up w/ a great bike.

I think paying the new bike premium is nuts. I can't pay $10k+ for a new 500 KTM but I can pay $6K or less for a very nice late model KTM or Berg or Beta - or $4k or less for an RFS KTM an great shape.

But it's your $$$, maybe I'll be looking at your used bike in a couple of years, be sure to keep it nice and clean - don't forget to farkel it too.

Have fun whatever you decide - that's the real point of all this.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #39
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,542
If I had a wad a cash and bought new, I would buy me the 2013 Husaberg FE350. Or maybe a 2013 KTM250SX, or
no, I think I would take the KTM150XC, well maybe a 2013 KTM200XCW, it now has electric start you know.
Hmmm, too many good bikes to choose from. But honestly those new 350's from Husaberg and KTM, look
really nice.

It is fun searching for a bike. Be interesting to see what you get.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

That's why I asked about the 690 and 2-up initially. I'm not about to fork over $10K for a dirt bike unless it is streetable and has a long life expectancy. $7k or less for a second play bike is reasonable and up to $10K trading in the Strom. I've seen new TE310's at the high end of my range but I don't know how the gear spacing is. If it is like the TE250, it is a bit too focused for what I'm looking for.

Currently I've narrowed it down to a 690R or a WR250R. I haven't been able to see a 690 in person yet but it's awful attractive
Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #41
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,542
I have some riding time on a Husky TE510, and a 310. Both very nice bikes. Really liked the tractable power of the
310. It would be a nice bike for the gnarly single track in the summer. But, the primary drive is too low to make a
good light weight D/S bike. The KTM 400 would be a better choice in my opinion. I missed out on some killer deals
on some 09 400XCW's, that were plated. $3500, was the asking price for a very well set up bike. It was gone in a
couple of days. Love that 690, but man I am vertically challenged. I can just barely tip toe on that bike. I would have to lower the suspension on that one. It has the PDS rear shock, so it sits higher than a Newer KTM250SX, because of the linkage. I think you said you sat on a 250SX.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #42
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
Simi Valley MC in Cali has a brand new 2011 FE570S for 8K, would cost about $500 to ship it via Uship.com

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #43
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

That's an option but also a good chunk of change for something I've never seen in person. I think I'm going to go check out the demo WR250 tomorrow. It's a 2 hour drive one way but it's the only one in the area. The KTM690 is another hour further beyond that even.

From reading the owner's threads on here it sounds like both bikes have some potential "issues":

WR
  1. potential for the chain to eat the swingarm if not adjusted properly
  2. potential fuel pump failures

KTM690
  1. Weak fuel tank/subframe assembly
  2. Weak tank mount bolts
  3. Short lived rear tires

The more I've read, the more it sounds like the WR is the way to go and keep the Strom for longer road trips etc. BTW, just made the last payment on the Strom yesterday
Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #44
bryantjt OP
Studly Adventurer

I don't know why I had to click on the Christini 450 DS link Now if only I could find some long term reports on that machine or the AsiaWing 450 that it is based on.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #45
miguelitro
tierra de boobies

Oddometer: 804
It sounds to me that you need to buy at least 2 new bikes.
Coming from a 650r and now riding and yes touring a bit on Chinese 200cc bike I love my little bike.
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote