Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #46
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Proper mirror adjustment virtually eliminates blind spots.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots

Using this method plus stick on convex mirrors and the the worst blind spot in my speed3 is the damn "A" pillar near the mirror
Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #47
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I think Dakez is probably refering to making sure the side mirrors on your cage are adjusted wide enough that you can not see the side of your car in the mirror -- which is how most people do it, and does not give you the side view you are supposed to have.

Even so, with the mirror adjusted correctly, there are still blind spots on some vehicles and I'm not risking the life of some motorcyclist because I'm too lazy to turn my fuckin' head.
Agreed. Most people don't know how to properly set up their mirrors. I have no blind spots in any of my cars when I'm on the road. I do have to be careful backing out of a parking spaces tough.

Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #48
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconx84 View Post

Using this method plus stick on convex mirrors and the the worst blind spot in my speed3 is the damn "A" pillar near the mirror
Ha! Beat me by seconds!
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #49
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:

That's exactly the right way. Sitting in the driver's seat, you shouldn't be able to see your own vehicle in the side mirrors. If you DO want to see it, you just have to lean one way or the other. This eliminates almost all of the blind spots. My Transit has small convex mirrors built into the corner of the side mirrors, and they work very well.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #50
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
So in reality you would need two of these...one each, to see the side and back of each side of the vehicle. Then you would need something to see out the windshield with all the crap blocking it.

You need a better neck.

(I do need a better neck... Know where I could pick one up?)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #51
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
OK... Am I the only one that caught himself doing a head check while riding inside an enclosed vehicle? Even when I can't even actually turn around I have on occasion caught myself starting to turn to check the neighbors lane. I have to laugh when I do it.
Yep I do that. Do you lean also? Miss the old vans for that, not much room to do so in this new vehicle of mine. Never really noticed that I did lean until a friend pointed it way back then. We had a good laugh over that.

Helps with the stiff neck/back the leaning during them long drives on twisty bad roads.

Leaning....shoulder checks....40+ years on 2 wheels, almost that many on 4 and about 30 at sea in confined spaces....force of habit I guess.

The mirror thing well, just driving around here in the winter,window and RH mirror will get so effing dirty so fast, I hope you shoulder check if I let you drive my vehicle in those conditions.Unless you want to stop every few miles to clean the glass, I don't.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #52
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:

I switched to this mirror setup and still do a head check.
In the Netherlands I learned to drive always using a head check and it is a hard habit to break, one that I don't want to break.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #53
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,910
For the record, I have my mirrors set to where I don't "need" to do a head check. But why not just make that extra little effort? Too difficult? Too lazy? Too complacent? You might have a bike whip out from behind the cage, truck, etc., in back of you, trying to make a fast pass that you didn't see when you did the mirror check.

Excrement occurs...expect the unexpected. Be proactive instead of reactive.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #54
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:

Exactly. (Though I still check). I have far more blind spot issues on my bike than in any car I drive.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #55
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
For the record, I have my mirrors set to where I don't "need" to do a head check. But why not just make that extra little effort? Too difficult? Too lazy? Too complacent? You might have a bike whip out from behind the cage, truck, etc., in back of you, trying to make a fast pass that you didn't see when you did the mirror check.

This. And while I disagree with the opinion that you shouldn't be able to see the side of your own vehicle in your mirror, we all have our own ways of doing it and that's fine. But surely we'd all rather do that shoulder check just to make sure, wouldn't we? Driving a cage is probably not the best time to be complacent...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #56
bluegreen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:

/Thread
bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #57
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
WTF. You are supposed to do a head check while driving to clear your blindspot. One of the more scary near-hits I experienced was some idiot in a van who changed lanes without headchecking while I was in the process of rolling past on a two lane highway.

If you are not regularly checking your blindspot before changing lanes while driving, I hope we never share the same street.
Dear God, +1,000,000
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #58
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
This. And while I disagree with the opinion that you shouldn't be able to see the side of your own vehicle in your mirror, we all have our own ways of doing it and that's fine. But surely we'd all rather do that shoulder check just to make sure, wouldn't we? Driving a cage is probably not the best time to be complacent...
FWIW, I'm not advocating avoiding a head check, I always do it when possible (ex: I drove an ambulance and limo, head checks show you the cab) . The idea is to get as much information as efficient as possible.

I have no need to see my vehicle. It doesn't move relative to my seat - it's always right where I left it. When I'm on the street it's extremely important to eliminate blind spots so the mirrors are adjusted to just outside the edge of my vehicle. If I'm parking or navigating in close quarters, moving my head to the left or right shows my vehicle corners.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #59
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreen View Post
/Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #60
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
FWIW, I'm not advocating avoiding a head check, I always do it when possible (ex: I drove an ambulance and limo, head checks show you the cab) . The idea is to get as much information as efficient as possible.

I have no need to see my vehicle. It doesn't move relative to my seat - it's always right where I left it. When I'm on the street it's extremely important to eliminate blind spots so the mirrors are adjusted to just outside the edge of my vehicle. If I'm parking or navigating in close quarters, moving my head to the left or right shows my vehicle corners.
Exactly. Nobody here seems to understand that the driver can't see through sheet metal if there are NO WINDOWS. Head checks are impossible. Windowless vans and trucks have HUGE blind spots, and if you choose to ride in them, sooner or later you WILL be sorry.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote