Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #31
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,412
All good advice. Riding in the rain is not bad, just pay more attention to what is going on around you and be light on the controls and brakes..
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
My motorcycle trips are generally very long and rain is almost always a significant part of them. I don't really alter my style of riding in the wet, but then I'm not an aggressive rider anyway. I wear a water proof pant and jacket, plus I have two pairs of waterproof gloves. If I know it's coming I have a heated jacket liner I might start the day with too. The point is, I am comfortable in weather because I've got good gear.

Visibility is the big thing. If the rain get's too heavy it's best to stop and wait for the squall to pass. 20 minutes delay tops. Plus I wax my face shield so the water beads off. Maybe an occasional thumb swipe is required.

As our inmate from NY pointed out, toll booths can be like ice because of the oil on the cement. I try and pick my line in toll booths very carefully as I roll up.

I'm on DOT knobby tires mostly these days and find them good enough in the wet unless it is really cold. In those conditions I try and avoid riding over lane paint. Particularly in the twisties.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #33
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
I live in Vancouver so if I didn't ride in the rain I would never ride. My main suggestion would be Hi Viz. Car drivers don't see us on summer days, on dark, rainy days fugetabowdid.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #34
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz363 View Post
I live in Vancouver so if I didn't ride in the rain I would never ride. My main suggestion would be Hi Viz. Car drivers don't see us on summer days, on dark, rainy days fugetabowdid.
as i was told when i visited your beautiful city in1980

''in vancouver u don't get a suntan, you rust''
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #35
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,124
I rode in my first big downpour this summer near Pocatello. It was one of those typical summer days when big thunderstorms roll in. I was on the freeway and hid out under overpasses every time the rain got too heavy. Met some other bikers....

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #36
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
From the Wet-Side of Oregon.

NO!

Just ride to the conditions and have on good gear so you can keep your head in the ride.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #37
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,323
Simply riding the bike in wet conditions is not particularly dangerous. I find that can be managed pretty easily. The thing that always concerns me most is the lack of visibility. It bothers me that I can't see as well as I would like. It bothers me even more that the other drivers around me can't see well. If they have a hard time seeing and realizing that there is a motorcycle on the road in good weather, just consider how much more likely it is that they will miss seeing you when it's raining. I can and have ridden in the rain. With no traffic around it's not bad at all, and with good gear, almost enjoyable. With much traffic at all, I hate it and avoid it whenever possible.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #38
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
Know your bike and know your tires. Are they predictable on wet pavement and wet tar snakes and stripes?

Find out close to home. Does your rain gear and rain footwear leave ANYTHING to be desired?

Your helmet, choice of gloves, your GPS making gurgling sounds?

One can adapt for riding in the rain, but consider the addition of risk and try to mitigate it before it mitigates on you.

Wear some solid protection ATTGAT, for "when" you go down. Practice riding in straight lines to build confidence....

Know that the first part of a rain is when the road may be the slickest, intially, as it rinses out all the funk and oils from everyone else right into your path. Be safe brother. Sometimes it's a good time to find a diner and just relax, or check into a motel early.

Don't hurry.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #39
Chopped Knuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaped View Post
I have ridden in the rain a lot. Increased danger in my opinion comes from the cages. Outside of being extra causes of other vehicles, yon need to be extra careful of momentum changes - starting, stopping and turning.

So if you happen to travel in a straight line and your not slowing down or speeding up then it is ok
Chopped Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #40
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
The good part about riding in the rain is that cops are less likely to give you a ticket because they don't want to get out of their cars. The bad part is that they "catch up" when the sun comes back out.

(Disclaimer: This may be an urban legend but it does make sense.)
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #41
a57m2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Riding in the rain

As above. I would add if you experience rain turning into hail pull over!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #42
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Good advice so far. I haven't had a problem in the rain, and have ridden through quite a bit of it. If you ride fast, slow down; if you're aggressive in turns, ease up a bit until you know the limits of you, your bike, and your tires (good advice even in dry). Personally I like riding in the rain. I like the dynamic. I do find riding in the rain creates some problems that are more annoying than anything, and I am always looking for solutions to those annoyances. One, with the helmet visor down and locked, it fogs up fast. Cracked slightly open, water eventually gets on the inside that the thumb squeege can't remove, or there is the annoying drip of water from the opening. Anti-fog snake oils usually last one ride or two, and the factory "anti-fog" visors are almost laughable. I have heard great things about the Pin-lock system, and my next helmet will have the pinlock system. Saying that, I just ordered the pinlock for my current helmet, and will see how it works.

Second, is gloves. After diligent research, I have come to the conclusion that the only real waterproof gloves are the large rubber overgloves. All waterproof gear will eventually leak if you soak it for hours on end. But the only problem I have found in getting wet, is my fingers. That hurts with the wind. Everything else is just an annoyance, unless you are completely soaked.

Good gear (not always expensive gear) goes a long way.

Best thing is to just start slow, and go out and try it.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Just want to third the toll booth advice, and note that they are treacherous in dry weather too. If you're not careful your right foot will slip out in a second. I try to remember to only put my left down when paying.

Oh, and the the oil on the road isn't a film or it would always be an issue. It's down in the cracks and comes up to bite when those cracks and crannies fill with water. Eventually it's carried away.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #44
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
It isn't that dangerous, it just sucks and I don't do it anymore, I don't have to. I didn't have a car or truck for about 9 or 11 years, I forget exactly, and I had to ride in it.

That being said, it gets real slippery around here in the rain, trucks dropping oil, illegal aliens pieces of junk cars leaking oil and tranny fluid, diesel fuel, it's all slippery as hell, just watch out. Slow down, be smooth, and depending on what you ride, watch the throttle and brake inputs.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #45
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,208
Assuming that your tires are in decent shape.

No the real risk in the rain is getting wet.

I learned in Hawaii to foot test the surface, the first few minutes its slippery, very slippery, after the oil and shit washes off the road (like 10 minutes in a good rain) you have like 80% of your normal traction, provided you avoid paint stripes and manhole covers and whatnot.

Motorcycle tires shouldn't hydroplane, particularly if they have any sort of touring bent to them, so just stay smooth and light and its not that terrible.

I've done trackdays in the rain. Fun, but nerve wracking, you get a LOT better and being a LOT smoother really fast.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote