User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Why buy a Harley

Talk me into why I should buy a Electra Glide?
Could be last real motorcycle.....may stay with scooter next or trike of some kind
I'm getting old.
I'm listening
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 220
Hap, I can't tell you why you should buy an Electra Glide because I don't know you. You say that you're getting old....what does that mean? If, like me, you're in your 60s, that's not so old if you take care of yourself and keep in riding condition.

An Electra Glide is a heavy bike. You need strong legs and arms to hold it up, especially if there's someone on the pillion. Nothing you can't do, provided you keep yourself strong by exercising.

I ride an K1200LT, also a heavy bike. I'm in good shape, but starting to consider going down one weight class to an R1200RT similar bike. I ride long distances, two up. If you ride solo, or don't do long rides, a smaller bike would be fine. A Honda CB1100, a Triumph, or many other bikes. It depends on YOUR circumstances.

Older joints need comfortable seating arrangements and ergonomics. Find the bike that best fits YOU.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Zanotti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
1. They are better built than people say.
2. You can choose to adapt or spurn the lifestyle.
3. Dealers are everywhere - my BMW dealer is 90 miles away, my Triumph 23 miles away.
4. About 15 Harley dealers in this range.
5. You dont have to run straight pipes, you can keep the mufflers.
6. EFI: They start and dont leak oil.
7. The switchgear is well made, fit and finish exceptional.
8. I kind of like the sound and feel.

Add yours......

Z
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,209
The easy-bolt-on-custom-crap is ubiquitous and awesome.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,339
That's an excellent question, Hap

and it's one that only you can answer. If you want one, and are confident that you can ride it, there really aren't any reasons not to.
They're really outstanding bikes, and if you plan long rides and want all day comfort there's a fairly small selection to choose from.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,106
I've ridden a couple of Harleys. I'm not a cruiser guy, but if I were going to buy a cruiser, it would be an HD. They are very good quality motorcycles, and they have that "mojo". They just feel right for the intended purpose.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
I've ridden a couple of Harleys. I'm not a cruiser guy, but if I were going to buy a cruiser, it would be an HD. They are very good quality motorcycles, and they have that "mojo". They just feel right for the intended purpose.

I'm not either.... Well, maybe I should say that I didn't used to be. Not until a couple months ago when much to my surprise I decided I might enjoy a H-D. Then last month my lovely bride to be surprised me with one!

But yeah, much to my surprise it does seem to be a very well put together motorcycle and I'm enjoying it a great deal even though it is a different experience than what I'm used to in a motorcycle. But, like shoes, I've always believed in a variety that suits different purposes. I've never been a "one motorcycle" type of guy though, since I enjoy too many different things to expect one bike to satisfy them all. But, that's something you have to decide for yourself. If you think that a H-D will satisfy your desires, then there's a very good chance you're right. Take a test ride and find out for yourself.

Zanotti made some very good points too.

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 04:52 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Hap:

May I suggest this:

- Go to the "Day Trippin" section here on Advrider
- Look for the "FBAD; Life on the Blue Ridge" thread

The fellow (Fast Ferris) who started the thread rides a Road King rather than a Glide but everytime I view some of his wonderful photos I think H-D should put him in charge of their ad campaigns. I suspect if you are already interested in a Harley that will erase any doubts.

Ned
EdM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
If you buy, get a 2009 or later ... significant chassis changes.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
They are not all bad.
The Road Glide is arguably the best for long trips
As said, they are built pretty well. You won't get 100k plus mile on one (like a Wing) without major expense.
They are fun and recognizeable anywhere.
Get one, ride for a while and get something else.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Low seat height is a good thing for aging limbs!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
I've said it before and will repeat...for a fat girl she's really lite on her feet.
I'm partial to the Road King but the Electra Glide is the same thing only with more stuff.
Have you gone to the dealer for a test ride? It only took me about 5 miles to know the RK was the bike for me.
I put 1000 miles on mine the first two weeks I had it. turned over 12k in 8 months
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
MT950
"OLD" Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Hap, Not too much $$ to rent one for a day and put 2-300 miles on it! Give you an idea if it's for you!! I'm in my 60's ride a Road King, and Fat-Boy(softail) with hack! Harley's are easy to maintain, repair parts everywhere, good dealer support(if you ride a newer model) ! Best of luck!! Ride safe!!
MT950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I can think of no reason not to buy one. If you are looking for a full dress touring bike, you really only have 3 to choose from. I'm 53, but with severe arthritis. I ride a '95 Goldwing 1500. I would trade it for an ElectraGlide in an instant. I love the great looks, sound, feel, and simplicity of the Harley. I don't wear a pirate costume. The BMW is completely different from the Harley or the 'Wing. It has low bars and rearset pegs, which put a lot of stress on my arms, legs, and neck. More of a "sport" tourer. Frankly, the only reason I don't have an ElectraGlide is because I can't afford one.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
to me the only hd is electra glide

never had one

always liked them

don't know why

will have one one day

cheers

u want one get one