User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #226
sloryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Harley vs Victory

As this thread has become a "which bike is better" thread, I would like to say that all of the comparison tests that I have read show Harleys and Victorys to be nearly equal. I could be happy with either one. Plenty of power, breaking, style, and engineering improvements. Either brand is light years better than any bike we had in the late sixties. Buy what you like or can afford and enjoy!
sloryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #227
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
And this is a Harley thread, or at least a cruiser thread. No Ducati rider is going to have any interest in a Harley, Victory, or any other cruiser. Two completely different things. Not that one is better than the other, just different. Way different.
???
Why not? Do you like both vanilla and chocolate?

If I had a budget, and garage that would handle 3 bikes they would include a Harley AND a Duc. Specifically, a Monster 1100 Evo and a Road Glide
But alas, it's about compromise for me
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #228
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
???

If I had a budget, and garage that would handle 3 bikes they would include a Harley AND a Duc. Specifically, a Monster 1100 Evo and a Road Glide
Completely agreed. I got a Harley, have my eye on a little dual purpose Honda. Would love to have a Monster or any Ducati...just have to sell more stuff at work :)

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #229
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloryder View Post
As this thread has become a "which bike is better" thread, I would like to say that all of the comparison tests that I have read show Harleys and Victorys to be nearly equal. I could be happy with either one. Plenty of power, breaking, style, and engineering improvements. Either brand is light years better than any bike we had in the late sixties. Buy what you like or can afford and enjoy!
Ssshhh.

Don't be bringing sense into this thread. It's about to become a trainwreck.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #230
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #231
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,897
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #232
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Only issue I see with that if you really want to tour a Dival is fuel capacity. They spec it at 17l or 4.5 gallons which in my experience with Ducati means you'd run dry at less than 4 gallons used. Knowing how hard it is to ride a bike like that without pinning the throttle I'd be lucky to get 120 between fuel stops.
Your road king can probabaly do 200+ without sweating...
Mentioning the Diavel brings up the one bike that some (a few, perhaps) H-D owners would ever consider as an alternate. It's arguably the best cruiser out there, as far as all-around perrformance is concerned.

Took one out last year (a Diavel Carbon) and it was a wild ride. Incredible grunt, solid mid-range, and a 162 total hp on tap. It even handles.

It's heavy for a Ducati (over 500 lbs wet) but carries it's weight well. I'm not so sure I prefer the looks of the bike, but, like it or not, it is one of a kind.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #233
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
???

That's right. You're correct.

Take automobiles. I own an '02 BMW M3 and an '06 Chrysler 300/SRT8. You would never think a BMW owner would ever consider buying a Chrysler product - and before 2005 I never would have. The SRT8 is an incredible performance machine AND a bargain. It's also the most reliable car I've ever owned - by a wide margin. I didn't expect that.

People can think outside the box, if they are truly open and perceptive, and don't really care what others think. That goes for Motorcycles, too.

My next Motorcycle? A 2013 Honda cb1100 ABS. On Order. May Delivery.

M3-SRT8 screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:55 PM
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #234
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Why buy a Harley???

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #235
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Why buy a Harley???

Cuz YOU WANT ONE, and you KNOW IT!
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #236
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
If you WANT a Harley, nothing else will do. I doubt that very few Harley owners even considered anything else. A Victory and a Harley are both v-twin cruisers. That's all they have in common. I don't see how you could possibly compare the two, or consider both. You are going to want one or the other. The Victory has far more in common with a Japanese v-twin cruiser than a Harley. I get a kick out of watching motorcycle magazines comparing Harleys to other bikes. Anyone wanting a Harley is going to buy a Harley just because it's a Harley. They are not going to compare features, they will overlook any and all of it's shortcomings. A Harley is so unique in the motorcycle world that it completely defies comparison with anything else. Harley buyers have no doubts whatsoever about what they want.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #237
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
"There are motorcycles and there are Harley-Davidsons... You can't out Harley a Harley"
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #238
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you WANT a Harley, nothing else will do. I doubt that very few Harley owners even considered anything else. A Victory and a Harley are both v-twin cruisers. That's all they have in common. I don't see how you could possibly compare the two, or consider both. You are going to want one or the other. The Victory has far more in common with a Japanese v-twin cruiser than a Harley. I get a kick out of watching motorcycle magazines comparing Harleys to other bikes. Anyone wanting a Harley is going to buy a Harley just because it's a Harley. They are not going to compare features, they will overlook any and all of it's shortcomings. A Harley is so unique in the motorcycle world that it completely defies comparison with anything else. Harley buyers have no doubts whatsoever about what they want.
I suppose I am in the minority, but I have always had Japanese bikes up until I got the Nightster. I had a V-Star three bikes before this, and I don't consider it much different than a Harley. It ran smoother and had a better quality feel, but it was pretty close in most respects. What makes a Harley a Harley? Pushrods, oil tanks, single crank pins, belt drives, and handlebar mounted turn signals? Irrelevant. I don't see what is so unique about them. I think Buells were far more unique than anything else with the Harley name on it, but that wasn't always a good thing.
This may very well be the only Harley I ever own. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that there are so many other bikes that I do like but haven't owned yet.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #239
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Hey they guy asked why buy a harley? I agree, why buy a harley when there are much better options available.

I also am an idiot and ride like one. I will likely end up dead the way I toss that Vision around, but at least there will be a smile on my face.

Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #240
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Talk me into why I should buy a Electra Glide?
Could be last real motorcycle.....may stay with scooter next or trike of some kind
I'm getting old.
I'm listening
Hap
OK, to take it all the way back to the OP's question.

I just bought an 04 Harley Road King myself. I bought it because it fit and felt like no other bike I'd ridden. For me, at this stage of my life, that old man 'geezer glide" is almost perfect. I never did tear up corners, I've always preferred to putter around gawking at the world as it unfolds. I'm short, and I'm tired of bikes that I tippy-toe or have to stretch out to reach the handlebars on. No problem with making a Harley fit me. With age comes carpel tunnel and other ailments that make my hands go numb is seconds on many bikes. Not this Harley. The grips are fat and buzz free.

I've no interest in talking you into a bike, or not. All I'll say is go ride one and see if it makes your heart go pitter-patter in your chest. If it does, get one and ride with a happy grin. If it doesn't, find something else that makes your heart sing. For me, the one that sang that siren song was a Road King. And I've never been on a Harley until that first test ride, by accident, just a few months ago.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote