Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #31
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
If you are seriously considering a Harley that means you want one, and there really are no alternatives to a Harley. Love them or hate them, they are different, unique, one of a kind in the motorcycle world.

They will not last as long as a Goldwing, but will last a long time if properly maintained. On the Twin Cam models that means replacing the cam chains and tensioners once in a while. But on my '95 Goldwing you have to replace the cam drive belts as part of regular maintenance. And when a Goldwing engine finally does go, it's gone for good. A Harley can be rebuilt fairly inexpensively, and parts will always be available.

But you cannot compare a Harley with a Goldwing. A Goldwing is a soulless transportation appliance, totally devoid of all character and personality. If you have driven a new car, a Goldwing is pretty much the same. A Harley is completely opposite. It has lots of character and personality. Everything about it screams "motorcycle"
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #32
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,266
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
If you want one, get one.
You can always sell it if you find it's not your cup of tea. But you need to live with it for a while.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #33
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
They will not last as long as a Goldwing,
Now THAT'S funny!! Jerry, if you used the little smilies, more folks would know that you're trying to be sarcastic.

Not last as long as a Goldwing.......
sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
BruceDeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Ive owned Harley's all my life. I currently own a 2003 Harley Davidson Deuce. I have 35000 miles on it and never had a problem. I do have other bikes 79 XS650, 86 450 Rebel, 78 CB550, Kawasaki 72 G3SS 90 and a 73 Harley X90 Trail, 78 KDX 80.
A good comfortable Cruiser, is the Ultra Cassic and it has all the bells and whistles. My nexy Cruiser will be a BMW 1200GT
BruceDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
HD are great bikes, for those who can appreciate them. Therefore, if you need convincing to buy an HD then probably shouldn't. Harleys are expensive to buy and also to get serviced. It's almost like a ducati or a bmw. You should only spend that kind of money if you REALLY want one and are willing to pay for it. If you need convincing, then you don't really want one and you should pass...

Just my 2 cents...
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #36
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Thumb

Quote:
If you are seriously considering a Harley that means you want one, and there really are no alternatives to a Harley. Love them or hate them, they are different, unique, one of a kind in the motorcycle world.

They will not last as long as a Goldwing, but will last a long time if properly maintained. On the Twin Cam models that means replacing the cam chains and tensioners once in a while. But on my '95 Goldwing you have to replace the cam drive belts as part of regular maintenance. And when a Goldwing engine finally does go, it's gone for good. A Harley can be rebuilt fairly inexpensively, and parts will always be available.

But you cannot compare a Harley with a Goldwing. A Goldwing is a soulless transportation appliance, totally devoid of all character and personality. If you have driven a new car, a Goldwing is pretty much the same. A Harley is completely opposite. It has lots of character and personality. Everything about it screams "motorcycle"

No, no, Goldwings are not soulless and devoid of character and personality. They are wonderful motorcycles. You're just not looking for that sort of character in your ride and so its beautiful nuances, acceleration, handling, sound, comfort and smoothness are lost on you. Folks like you should not bother with Goldwings because that's not the experience you are after but to label them as an appliance is just wrong and insulting to those who love and appreciate them for what they are. Its ok to be different; its ok to like Goldwings and its ok to love Hogs too.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #37
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
No, no, Goldwings are not soulless and devoid of character and personality. They are wonderful motorcycles. You're just not looking for that sort of character in your ride and so its beautiful nuances, acceleration, handling, sound, comfort and smoothness are lost on you. Folks like you should not bother with Goldwings because that's not the experience you are after but to label them as an appliance is just wrong and insulting to those who love and appreciate them for what they are. Its ok to be different; its ok to like Goldwings and its ok to love Hogs too.
He rides a GW
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #38
mwood7800
Banned

Oddometer: 617
If you get one you can dress like a pirate
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #39
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:

But you cannot compare a Harley with a ********. A Goldwing is a soulless transportation appliance, totally devoid of all character and personality. If you have driven a new car, a Goldwing is pretty much the same. A Harley is completely opposite. It has lots of character and personality. Everything about it screams "motorcycle"

That can be said of a lot of motorcycles, IMO. The Goldwing may be the epitome of it in the touring bike world, but that same phenomenon can be found in most segments of the industry.

Lots of very good motorcycles out there that just have no soul or character, and while they function marvelously at what they do, they just leave me feeling BLAH!

Not that H-D has a corner on the market, of bikes that tickle my fancy in that way, but I fully understand where you're coming from!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #40
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 821
Get a BMW R1200RT. Problem solved

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #41
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,876
Most dealers rent at a very reasonable cost. Usually they will apply a rental to the purchase of new, or at least to gear.

Go to a rally, HD has 4 hour trials, free. Yep, free, even your fuel. Not to many be in line first thing in the morning.

They have good test rides too.

Rod

ragtoplvr screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 05:57 PM
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #42
BruceDeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Goldwings are nice but heavy as hell. Look into the BMW 1200gt and rt. You can pick one of these up for $5000.00-$10000.00 years being 2000-20007.

BruceDeuce screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 06:40 PM
BruceDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #43
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I bought a Goldwing because I found a really nice one for $6500. I have put over 40,000 mostly trouble free miles on it. I have heard of Goldwings lasting over 300,000 miles. I bought mine to travel with. The bike itself is just a way to get there on 2 wheels, and carry a lot of stuff. It is extremely comfortable. But it is so quiet it might as well be electric, and so smooth you can't even tell if there is a motor down there. I am not putting it down for those who like that, but I prefer a motorcycle to have a little rumble and vibration to it. Something to let me know there is an internal combustion engine down there. I have a '95 model, which dates back to '88. Technologically it is still way ahead of a new Harley, the thing is, I don't like technology on my motorcycles. I like them to be basic, simple, primitive even. Riding a motorcycle should be a very visceral experience. That is why I like vintage bikes. I like vintage cars for the same reason, and own two. A Harley would not cost me much to service, I am an auto mechanic with 36 years experience. If I can't handle the maintenance on a Harley, I'll turn in my wrenches.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #44
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Harley is one of the bikes I would not try to convince anyone to own, either you like them or you don't. I just feel good riding my Harley nothing rational about it, I like the sounds (most of the time) reminds me of ridng my old CB750F SOHC a different bike for sure but it also made me just feel good.. I put 62k miles on a 09 Road King, it was a nice bike and now I have an Electra Glide Limited. The EG is a big bike and noticeably more top heavy than the RK, for an all around big touring bike the RK is hard to beat, for supreme comfort the EG is hard to beat. IMHO
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 96k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #45
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Talk me into why I should buy a Electra Glide?
Could be last real motorcycle.....may stay with scooter next or trike of some kind
I'm getting old.
I'm listening
Hap
Dont. get a small garage of used bikes for the same price as an Electra Glide.

Electra Glide ~ $20k

- or -

used R1150GS ~ $6K
used Triumph Bonneville ~ $6K
used Honda XR650L ~ $2K
used/track prepped Suzuki SV650 ~ $4K
leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, tires and a few trackdays ~ $2k

so you can have an entire culture of different motorcycles in your garage....or a Harley. Hell I'd rather have any two of those bikes and the leftover money to travel for 6 months.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote