Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #61
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,049
What is the opinion of Eagleriders used HD's?

They appear to have a lot of 2012 EG Classics for sale around + or- 25 K miles and prices in the $15 K range.

Prices sound reasonable, are they properly maintained, etc?

For example,

http://www.usedmotorcycles.net/harle...rlando-fl/1729
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #62
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,685
They're more likely than not to have been maintained well, but also used by a bunch of people. I'd ask after the transmission.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #63
rapz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I"m on my second Ultra Classic. I have 44K on my 2008 Ultra and most of that is riding two-up. I really like it, but I love my '79 BMW RT for solo riding and my wife just gave me a 2013 BMW R1200RT for my 65th birthday which will be mostly for long haul solo riding. ...btw, I'm 65 and the Ultra is absolutely no problem ...handles great except it's made to stay under 80mph imho. You can spend a small fortune on "add-ons" and they'll give you "zero" for them on trade-in so imho it's a bike you keep stock (I didn't) or plan on keeping it. Don't gamble on just buying one, rent one for a weekend and then you'll know and won't have to ask our opinion. Good luck!
I have pixs of my bikes on my blog at www.airheadmoto.com

rapz screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:35 AM Reason: Insert Link
rapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #64
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I bought a Goldwing because I found a really nice one for $6500. I have put over 40,000 mostly trouble free miles on it. I have heard of Goldwings lasting over 300,000 miles. I bought mine to travel with. The bike itself is just a way to get there on 2 wheels, and carry a lot of stuff. It is extremely comfortable. But it is so quiet it might as well be electric, and so smooth you can't even tell if there is a motor down there. I am not putting it down for those who like that, but I prefer a motorcycle to have a little rumble and vibration to it. Something to let me know there is an internal combustion engine down there. I have a '95 model, which dates back to '88. Technologically it is still way ahead of a new Harley, the thing is, I don't like technology on my motorcycles. I like them to be basic, simple, primitive even. Riding a motorcycle should be a very visceral experience. That is why I like vintage bikes. I like vintage cars for the same reason, and own two. A Harley would not cost me much to service, I am an auto mechanic with 36 years experience. If I can't handle the maintenance on a Harley, I'll turn in my wrenches.
You told the boys over on the Honda Rebel forum that some one gave you the Goldwing and that you sold it in Sept 2012 and bought a Yamaha Zuma. Get your story straight

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #65
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
What is the opinion of Eagleriders used HD's?

They appear to have a lot of 2012 EG Classics for sale around + or- 25 K miles and prices in the $15 K range.

Prices sound reasonable, are they properly maintained, etc?

For example,

http://www.usedmotorcycles.net/harle...rlando-fl/1729

Don't buy the one I used a few years ago. I hadn't ridden a Harley any length until that time. Went on a 3,200-plus mile blast with my brother on his st1300. We were in a hurry. No tach, and I was using the rev limiter on just about every single shift for the first two days. Got to be a joke: "Glad it's a rental"

I had no idea when they last changed the oil. I warned the eagle rider guys I was going to ride a lot in five days.

But...the bike didn't hiccup once. And it convinced me to buy one :)

So, personally, I wouldn't buy a rental car or bike...

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #66
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
You told the boys over on the Honda Rebel forum that some one gave you the Goldwing and that you sold it in Sept 2012 and bought a Yamaha Zuma. Get your story straight
That was a 1985 1200LTD. got it as junk, spent a lot of time, work, and money on it getting it going, and it was still nothing but trouble. Left me stranded at least 3 times. The 85 LTD was fuel injected, and it would just cut out for no apparent reason. The charging system was also bad, the regulator actually got so hot it set the bike on fire. I did manage to put a lot of miles on it, but finally gave up and sold it as a project/parts bike. I now have a 1995 Goldwing 1500SE, which runs fine, except the stereo and cruise control failed on it. I never used the stereo, and don't miss the cruise control. And I did buy a brand new 2012 Zuma 125, and am in the process of accessorizing it for backroads touring.

I just came from the Rebel forum. I've been seeing a lot of Rebels on Craigslist, and giving somme thought to getting another one. I still have the bolt on support stand I made for fixing flats on it's tube type tires.

I am constantly getting and getting rid of bikes. I'm up to 46 total right now. That may reach 47 about any time. I'm also interested in a Sportster.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #67
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapz View Post
I"m on my second Ultra Classic. I have 44K on my 2008 Ultra and most of that is riding two-up. I really like it, but I love my '79 BMW RT for solo riding and my wife just gave me a 2013 BMW R1200RT for my 65th birthday which will be mostly for long haul solo riding. ...btw, I'm 65 and the Ultra is absolutely no problem ...handles great except it's made to stay under 80mph imho. You can spend a small fortune on "add-ons" and they'll give you "zero" for them on trade-in so imho it's a bike you keep stock (I didn't) or plan on keeping it. Don't gamble on just buying one, rent one for a weekend and then you'll know and won't have to ask our opinion. Good luck!
I have pixs of my bikes on my blog at www.airheadmoto.com
Interesting spot for a first post....

welcome to the nuthouse!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #68
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post

JerryH is confused.

"Oh what tangled webs we weave...."
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #69
hexnut
just cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
JerryH is confused.

Yeah, all the bikes he claims to have owned and all the miles he claims to have put on them, he would have to be riding 24/7.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #70
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Talk me into why I should buy a Electra Glide?
Could be last real motorcycle.....may stay with scooter next or trike of some kind
I'm getting old.
I'm listening
Hap

Every motorcyclist at some point wants a Harley or wishes they had got one... Don't let it pass you by. I say go for it.

Mountain Cruiser screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 05:34 PM
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #71
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
JerryH is confused.

Not quite. Hexnut posted this same taunt in another thread. The answer is pretty simple. He sold an old wing, bought the scooter and a newer wing.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #72
hexnut
just cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Not quite. Hexnut posted this same taunt in another thread. The answer is pretty simple. He sold an old wing, bought the scooter and a newer wing.
OK so he sold the old wing in Sept of 2012, then bought a newer wing and put 40,000 miles on it since then...while also working a full time job. Amazing. Not counting all the miles he says he has put on the scooters. One of us is confused.

hexnut screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 08:15 AM
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #73
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 792
back on topic

If you want a bike with retro looks that eats miles like they're nothing it may be the bike for you.
The new stuff handles well and can be made comfortable for nearly anyone who wants to ride one.
They're not perfect out of the box but they get it pretty close.
If you like to change stuff up on your bikes there is no limit to what you can do. Many really good options if you don't give a rip about bling (like me). Shocks, seat, highway pegs, catless exhaust and a windshield and I have the perfect bike for what I wanted which is a big mile highway bike that doesn't leave you with your ears ringing.

I'd rent before you buy just to make sure. If you put a few hundered miles on it and hate it you're only out the rental cost.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #74
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Or the new NX700x Honda????????????????????? I'm going goofy over this decision.
Hap
Skip them all and get the new Goldwing F6B. Style, comfort, and goldwing reliability all in one package. Weighs the same as the Electra Glide to.

GlassAnkles screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 03:01 PM
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #75
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Every motorcyclist at some point wants a Harley or wishes they had got one... Don't let it pass you by. I say go for it
you're right. there is ONE Harley that I want....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote